Pete's Tacoma Build

musty40

Observer
That Cooper will fit under the bed with a little grinding of some metal tabs. I'm running the same tires on my Tacoma and agree they are great.

Very nice Tacoma!

Attachments

• P4300720.jpg
    P4300720.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 71

05TacoMedic

Adventurer
Awesome looking truck!
I love the look of those white wheels. Definitely has a Safari Look or maybe United Nations:sombrero: look to it. Either way-Keep it up and Great Job!!

pnorvell

Adventurer
A much belated photo from a trip I took out west this past summer. I'll get more coming as I've also done a few things to the truck since last posting. This particular photo was taken on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands, NP. Great trail and amazing views to be had!

_MG_7965 by pnorvell, on Flickr

pnorvell

Adventurer
Hey Girl, Hey!!! Lookin' real good...

Hey girl, hey!! by pnorvell, on Flickr

I'm skipping around here on my build a bit as I have left out a few items that have happened to the truck before this, ie LED bar, few interior things, etc. But how could I NOT post this! It's been a long standing want for me, as I'm sure you all can attest, to want to do this modification. I was planning on holding out for the Ironman bumper that will be coming out (Still in the works), but could not pass up the deal Slee had on this bad boy. Scratch and dent is a-ok with me!

Next step will be to reinstall the LED bar up front and hopefully the other two LED pods I have. I have always wanted side lighting ever since I started getting into auxiliary lighting. In a perfect world I would like to mount the LED pods to light up the outer edges where the bar starts to fad out. Reason being for deer on back roads and just general blinding light for those that cut me off (Come on, you know you've done it).

Right now that is where I'm at! I'm still looking for someone to make a tire carrier for the bed (Stump?? Eh?? Eh??) and I have a friend that is starting to make Hi-Lift mounts for the bed. I'll try and post more as I know I've dropped the ball with this completely. Thanks for looking!!

Pete

pnorvell

Adventurer
Not much of an update really, just some cellphone pics that I though were cool!

IMG_1410 by pnorvell, on Flickr

This was a fun comparison we did at the shop just before Christmas. 1979 Toyota pickup, owned by one of my co-workers, in stark comparison to the Tacoma. Aside from the fact that his is slammed and mine lifted, just look at size difference between the two. Mine would have been a full size in that day. Just an interesting photo I though! I want to steal the '79!

IMG_1421 by pnorvell, on Flickr

This was from a recent outing that turned more into a recovery day. We did get some good exploring in but came across an XJ that broke a driveshaft, control arm mount, and blew out a tire... Not a good day for that guy! We did what we could to get him up and moving before his friends showed up.

IMG_1424 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Once we finally finished that up and were planning on doing a little more trail riding, my friend's FJ62 decided to shut off. We thought at the time it was primarily due a wet distributor, but I was told later that the issue popped back up. It's currently waiting to get to the shop for further diagnosis.

Lastly, just a good shot of the truck! I give the people what they want...

IMG_1414 by pnorvell, on Flickr

robustbambi

ya got a pretty mouth... on that taco. i forgot to tell you on sunday. We need to go back there sometime, i promise i won't ruin the day by doing something(?) to the 62 lol.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Just a short couple photo's I took today while exploring. For those that want do the same, Here is the route. I also finally wanted to put names on some of products that are on my truck. I keep saying I'm going to so now I am!

Untitled by pnorvell, on Flickr
This is as up to date on the truck as you can get. I wouldn't change a thing that I have done to it, except maybe a cleaner/more effective tie down system in the bed. That's to come though.

I snagged this ARB bumper on scratch and dent from the guys at Slee Offroad. I know everyone seems to say this about their scratch and dent stuff, but the thing was brand spankin' new!! There was one scratch on it, one. I would have liked the fogs, but now that I have it I like this look more. More "protection" minded... I don't know what I'm saying, only that I love this bumper. And for those that are about to chime in on the "gap" clearance of the bumper, I know, I know. I almost don't have a gap for when the body flexes. I haven't had any issues yet :violent-smiley-031:

This is an Aurora 20" LED bar, straight up Chinese and I can dig it. Don't get me wrong, I respect Rigid Industries, I really do. But I simply can't afford their product. This one suites me just fine and has worked without a hitch. Had it going nine months now. I am, however, having thoughts of changing to something more "retro" to go with the rest of the styling on the truck, but for now it works great. If I do switch, I was thinking of the Ironman HID lights, or Lightforce 170's.

These are Trail Gear 67" weld on sliders. I'm fortunate enough to work with some great fabricators that were willing to do some bomber welding on these things. Nothing hurts these. Nothing. I've come down hard on them a time or two to what sounded like the earth dying, but in reality nothing happened to these sliders. I don't think I made myself clear that these are bomber...

To date, the most asked about/praised thing on this truck, the white wheels! You would have thought I invented these wheels. My favorite part of telling people about them is that if they own a Tacoma, they already own one of these wheels! I've said it in countless PM's, but to be clear, this is simply the stock spare wheel of the 1st and 2nd Gen Tacoma's powder coated Wet White. There might be a closer matching powder out there, but this is pretty damn close. As for the tires, they are Cooper Discoverer S/Ts in 255/85/16. These things have held up fantastically. I've got almost 20k miles on them and it's hard to tell. I rotate religiously at every 5k miles. Only downer about them is that they are incredibly hard to find if you ever need another one. You know, like if you're hit by a bus that blows out the driver rear... Don't ask how I know. Wait time for one tire, two weeks.

Stock rear bumper, for now. I'm really tempted to go with the Allpro simply due to funds. However I can't say I have ever seen a bad looking CBI rear bumper... But at almost twice the price of the Allpro... Tough choices. I'm no rock crawler, nor will I need the swing-outs as I use the "truck" aspect of the vehicle more then anything. I think the swing-outs would hinder people from wanting to borrow it to move though... HHmmmmmm... Again, tough choices.

This is the Ironman Snorkel made for a Prado. Ol' Eli over at Camel4x4 had a few stateside so we figured we would try it. I like it, though I know this is a pretty divided subject. Let's look at the numbers, 90% for looks, 10% function. That clears things up. And for the record, I embrace those numbers.

Ratchet straps, the bane of my existence. It's a love/hate relationship. The plan for this area is obviously a work in progress. I don't want to start drilling holes and mounting these things in to find that it's an inconvenient spot. I'm close though. The current Pelican lineup is a 1500, 1600, and a 1660, all of which were separate craigslist finds summing a grand total of... Wait for it... less then $150... BELIEVE IT! The 1660 is a big mother, but it holds everything!! And seconds as a life raft in emergencies. I'm currently jonesin' for a second 1660 to complete the storage lineup and then start hard mounting these in.

48" Hi-Lift jack purchased through Craigslist. I got the jack, handle holder, the wide base, and a tree strap for... $50... I love craigslist. I gave the guy $60 since he gave me extras. Pay it forward.

This is Walter Daniels. He's a gas station find and is the best. He's a bit of punk, but he know's his tricks. He's a good co-pilot when the lady can't join.

That about sums it up. Again I'm going to try and be better about posting and responding.

Thanks for looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles