Pete's Tacoma Build

pnorvell

Adventurer
To those that read,

Thanks for reading! I'll try and post up all the photos and modifications to my truck here. I've been around the block in the Land Rover field, but always had a lust for a Tacoma, preferably the second gen's. I would have to say that I've been influenced by a few trucks along the way; TACODOC's, barlowrs, and more closely Zolo.

I won't have as technical a build as some, simply just what I want in a truck and haven't seen on others.

The truck started as a bone stock 2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 purchased up in North Georgia. It took me some time to find it as my stipulations were low miles, manual transmission, and preferable white. Whether it was an Single, Access, or Double Cab really didn't matter to me but I really enjoy the Access Cab. I like having the 6' bed as I feel I utilize that more than the extra seating. I love the look of the Single Cab, but I'm glad that I a "throw ****" area and not have to worry about it getting wet or stolen etc.

IMG_4425 copy by pnorvell, on Flickr

Aside from buying random truck items, my first real sought after purchase was a Bestop for bed. I bought it second hand from a really nice guy out of Alabama and have used the heck out of it since! It's really one of the best accessories for any truck in my opinion. I still need to weather proof it a little more to feel really confident in it as a fallback sleeping area.

_MG_5593 by pnorvell, on Flickr

I don't have any photo's of it, but Daniel (Zolo) was kind enough to hook me up with the old lift off his truck! We all met up at his shop and just started wrenching, well really us watching him work on it. It really turned into an event and a really good time! Soon after I got a job at ACC Toyota, Lexus, and Land Cruiser, which is when it become much easier to modify the truck.

This lead to me installing a "soon to be released" lift kit. Testing is going well and should be released here in the next few weeks!!

Petes truck by pnorvell, on Flickr

I also did some cosmetic changes. Using Rustoleum Spray on Bed Liner, my good friend Aaron and I sprayed the fenders and grill to break up all the white and chrome on the truck. I love the way it turned out and plan to also do the rear bumper and rock sliders the same

303405_409163159095502_123992714279216_1612992_1201055127_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

Reppin' ACC!!

562126_409173882427763_123992714279216_1613053_662005124_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

This is easily the most questioned and talked about item on the truck, the Wheels! I've had a lot of people ask me where I bought them or how I customized them to work on a Toyota. No secret or rare expensive wheels here! These are simply the stock Toyota Tacoma 16" steel rim that comes as the spare on all 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas. I had them powder coated at work and spent what seemed like forever tracking down the tires, 255/85/16 Cooper ST's.

538614_409174419094376_123992714279216_1613058_1118316722_n bypnorvell, on Flickr

There are parts just waiting to go on the truck at the shop so I'll try and post up as much as possible as well as answer any questions!

Thanks for looking and check back for updates!!

Sincerely,

Peter

4RunAmok

Explorer
7089110309_3bf65024f9_b.jpg

Love the look here!

This would be my idea truck, except with a flippac :)

Really nice truck you're building!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice job. Very thoughtful and clean looking. Watch out for that zolo guy... he'll have you chopping off that bed in no time. ;)

Joker

Adventurer
Love what you did with the grill and fenders, I plan on doing the same. Any problem with the bed liner pealing off? Anyone else have that problem?

pnorvell

Adventurer
Love what you did with the grill and fenders, I plan on doing the same. Any problem with the bed liner pealing off? Anyone else have that problem?

Well it doesn't like it when you wax the truck! That will never come out unless you respray it. In the long run I would love to switch over to the base model black plastic flares or remove them entirely and fill the holes as Zolo did. As for trail scrapes etc I haven't had the truck out yet but will this weekend. I hope it holds up!

barlowrs

Explorer
Lookin good! you will love that bestop, and it does work very well as a sleeping area. I have slept many nights in mine (with several feet of snow ontop in fact)

haddix

Adventurer
I love this truck. The white wheels really set it off. Kind of makes me wish my truck was white so I could do the same.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Looks good, love the cooper discovers. You will like your tacoma, it is going to be a bit more reliable then a Disco II.

Cam-shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles