Pretty amazing Hummer trailer

Woods

Explorer
There are a lot of sweeping generalizations here and I wish that guys who have an issue with a post would quote it. When they don't it comes across as an attack on a bunch of guys who it's not aimed at and the ******** storm begins.

My reference to John Bull was quoting someone who said that rig is quite capable. To me that means that it can go a lot of places that most 4X4's can't. Weight is a giant factor here. I contend that most any stock H2 would be "more capable" than the rig pictured here. Since this thread has become about the modifications to the Hummer, then it's fair to say that most of what's been added to that vehicle has made it less capable. More comfortable? - perhaps... Better protected certainly. At the end of the day, I want to get home and many of the mods on this rig defeat this purpose.

BTW, I don't have any issues with Hummers and haven't written anything as such. Also, I think IFS wheels better than solid axles (better clearance). Generally the benefit to solid axles is strength, given the same investment.

Well ..... I really like both vehicles, being a fabricator myself I can tell you there is some outstanding work done on both rigs. Whoever posted that this would not make a good overlanding rig I say your wrong, What a high percentage of people here in the states consider overlanding is actually not. John bull trail is not overlanding, azusa canyon mud pits is not overlanding, the Hammers in CA is not overlanding, overland/expedition traveling is not spending all day driving only two miles through a rock pile. Overland travel is getting from point A to point B in one piece 90% of the time its on varying degrees of dirt roads/trails and open land traveling, getting there comfortably and enjoying the trip at the same time. So yes his trailer does have a long tongue but he is not john bull capable (big deal). I guarantee that thing pulls like a dream set up like that though. Anyway my hat's off to BCHauler for removing any degrading post's its ok to give an opinion but some of you were just plain ignorant. I have friends on this site and if my post doesnt get me any of the ones on this thread then so be I dont need that type of friend anyway. Expedition portal does have a stigma about it I've heard form many others some here think their poo don't stink..... and your wrong ..... as usual JMO

Last edited:
BCHauler, your comment expressing your regret is one of the most thoughtful comments I've seen in here. I sincerely compliment and respect your comment. Thank you for posting that.

Everyone, please go back and take another look at the original posting in this thread. It is simply a link. The original post didn't ask for any opinions or comments. What does it actually matter what anyone in here thinks about the owner's equipment anyway?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I know I said its not a overlanding rig :) so I will explain why I said that Since you also said some of us are ignorant ? Kinda sad you have to start name calling for those that dont agree with ya !

Better than name calling give us 5 reasons why you think its a great overlanding rig ?
Not sure why you think it tows great ?

I do agree what you said those trails are not overlanding :)
they are more just hard trails to explore

Why I think its not much a overlanding rig
1: its a shell ? Does not seem to be much more than that ?
2: The sides come off ? Not sure why kinda cool but what you lay them on the ground ? And what for ? To me it just gives a failure point for something to happen for no apearant reason ?
3: Does not seem to have a way to access food or prep area etc...
4: No inside living area either ? From what I see ?
5: seems like its over complicated for no reason and more simple designs would weigh less and might get more places and would require a large vehicle to tow !

The aircon is cool :) Would be nice to have on hot nights

It could be a good overlanding rig maybe but will never be a hard trail rig

So leaves me to think its more a show piece that fits the rigs looks which again is fine many who get trailers paint them and put on the same wheels as their rigs ?

As far as the hummer goes ? Not my taste but I even see a lot of FJC rigs that are not my taste

Well ..... I really like both vehicles, being a fabricator myself I can tell you there is some outstanding work done on both rigs. Whoever posted that this would not make a good overlanding rig I say your wrong, What a high percentage of people here in the states consider overlanding is actually not. John bull trail is not overlanding, azusa canyon mud pits is not overlanding, the Hammers in CA is not overlanding, overland/expedition traveling is not spending all day driving only two miles through a rock pile. Overland travel is getting from point A to point B in one piece 90% of the time its on varying degrees of dirt roads/trails and open land traveling, getting there comfortably and enjoying the trip at the same time. So yes his trailer does have a long tongue but he is not john bull capable (big deal). I guarantee that thing pulls like a dream set up like that though. Anyway my hat's off to BCHauler for removing any degrading post's its ok to give an opinion but some of you were just plain ignorant. I have friends on this site and if my post doesnt get me any of the ones on this thread then so be I dont need that type of friend anyway. Expedition portal does have a stigma about it I've heard form many others some here think their poo don't stink..... and your wrong ..... as usual JMO

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Want to also say I dont think this thread is a attack on his skills or his trailer or rig ?

I see it more as something someons posted and people gavemtheir thoughts
then someone says its cool and will go more places than most here could go ?
and that was IMHO kinda not true ?

I see this more as a way for some of us to voice thoughts and why I try to say who cares but these are reasons why so we all can learn more

I know someone told me my dumb African trailer could never go anywhere cause Africa is not like the US ?
His reasons Africa is a flat country with nothing but large flat areas and no rough roads or mountains ?
Hhahahahaha OK
Told him to google more about Africa then get back to me :)
Now that is Ignorance !

People expressing views about the trailer are not ignorant

Saying hummers suck is stupid unless you back up your reasons then it just becomes opinion and some can agree or disagree and give reasons whynthey feel that !

loren85022

Explorer
I'm just stunned that given the attention to detail, and the spare-no-expense design, that the rims arent matching the Hummer. Did I miss any explanation for this?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Want to also say I dont think this thread is a attack on his skills or his trailer or rig ?

I see it more as something someons posted and people gavemtheir thoughts
then someone says its cool and will go more places than most here could go ?
and that was IMHO kinda not true ?

I see this more as a way for some of us to voice thoughts and why I try to say who cares but these are reasons why so we all can learn more

I know someone told me my dumb African trailer could never go anywhere cause Africa is not like the US ?
His reasons Africa is a flat country with nothing but large flat areas and no rough roads or mountains ?
Hhahahahaha OK
Told him to google more about Africa then get back to me :)
Now that is Ignorance !

People expressing views about the trailer are not ignorant

Saying hummers suck is stupid unless you back up your reasons then it just becomes opinion and some can agree or disagree and give reasons whynthey feel that !

Why do you use so many "?" when you are making a statement instead of posing a question? It just struck my curiosity.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Dont know ?

Kinda like a think moment
Maybe not as much a statment as a what do other think also

Plus my grammar sucks :)

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Ok HONU I too went back and edited one word in my post (I practice what I preach)

I never said it was a great overlanding rig in my post

I dont know the owner nor have I seen this rig in person so I have no idea as to why its a "shell". maybe he hauls things inside that require it to be dual purpose.

overcomplicated ? again I know nothing about the owner or trailer

Trailer building/pulling 101.... This comes from my experience as a trailer builder/fabricator and class A semi truck driver.

With trailers the farther back trailer axle is from the tow vehicle the trailer will track much nicer. When a trailer is short every little non essential maneuver made from the tow vehicle is transferred to the trailer so you get the hopping/swerving/wiggling. With a longer span between the two rigs there is more "time" for the trailer to "not" react to any odd movement from the tow rig. There are pros and cons for the type or situation that the trailer is being used ie;tight trails low weight, or pulling 80K lbs down the Hwy. And one of the best things about a longer tongues is backing up, just go down to your local lake and watch a guy trying to back up a short jet ski trailer versus a guy with a long boat trailer again the tongue length is the reason for the difficulty in backing, not the driver. The trailer reacts so quickly to the steering wheel (driver)input that it gets exaggerated and the trailer starts to jacknife. I'm not trying to be a know it all this just comes from 25 years of building/driving experience.

So lets see... 5 reasons why I think this would be a good overlanding rig

1) It looks like it
2) would be a nice vehicle
3) to take on off road
4) adventures and travels
5) It's just my "nice" opinion
:victory:

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
We actually just took the 6 yr old to lego land.... I dont know who was more impressed ... me or him this volvo was built from legos to scale
IMG_0227Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles