Using a 18" wheel with 3- 19" wheels as a temp spare

goinsurfin

Observer
Currently, I run 19" rims on my LR3 and have a 5th 19" spare too. I also have a 18" rim with a used tire that I'd like to take on an upcoming trip- just as a second spare. My question, if in the worst case senario, can i drive with a 18" rim and 3 19" rims for a short period of time- say 50 miles? or with the 2 sizes create an issue with the suspension?

Any thoughts here? Thanks

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Not sure about the Land Rover, but different size tires can wreck the transfer case on some 4x4 vehicles, such as Jeeps. Somebody with Land Rover experience will probably jump in, but I wouldn't want to do it for very far, if at all.

tacr2man

Adventurer
The rim size doesnt tell you that much , its the overall diameter that is important . If its a taller tyre ( ie aspect ratio /width) on a 18" rim it could be same diameter as a low profile tyre on a 19" rim . Spoacesaver spares are quite often a different rim diameter to the constant use road rims .
The type of transfer case will also be a consideration , if its a simple differential type , then by the time the mismatch in size across axle is further diluted by the action of the interaxle differential there would not be that much of a rotational mismatch . If its a viscous centre diff its more critical due to a possible lock up situation due to rotational imbalance . This was why tyre replacement on Freelander one was critical factor.

A bigger factor to consider is stability issues JMHO

wheel size is irrelevant. overall tire diameter is all that really needs to be considered if this is intended to be a dedicated spare.

goinsurfin

Observer
Ahh, sorry, my current running 19" wheel sizes are 255 55 19 and the spare set of 18" are 255 60 18. I believe that both wheel types are identical in overall diameter...

Absolutely, no 16's here. The smallest size for LR3 is 17"- not availble in US mkt

After the brief wheel planning, the trip is on-hold for a few months.

tacr2man

Adventurer
the size given was just a format example (eg) :ylsmoke:

as mentioned in subsequent post with your sizes given there is no substitution problem :smiley_drive:

XJINTX

Explorer
Not sure if realavent or not but my new F250 came with 20" rims from the factory. I ran over a screw and had a slow leak. Took it off and put spare on to get it fixed. The spare was from factory and on a 19" rim I did not realize that until I swapped them.

I kind of complained to the dealer and he said that was normal and I would have no issue running the spare. I'm not sure of outside diameters... but all was fine until switched back.

Only issue is some how the truck computer knew I had the spare on and kept warning me to fix :) darn computers :)

goinsurfin

Observer
Cool thanks for the direction guys! Good to know I can use it but won't plan on it unless absolutely necessary..

Snagger

Explorer
As stated before, as long as the diameter are similar, you won't harm anything. However, keep the speed way down if using this spare - the handling and braking will be significantly affected by not only a different tread pattern but also by having different widths and wall dimensions and stiffnesses - you can reasonably expect steering pull, especially under braking, assymetric braking and assymetric sway and grip when cornering. It's the same as ordinary modern cars using space-saver spare wheels, but you see morons driving at high speed in the wet all the time with them, oblivious to the risk they are subjecting themselves and, more importantly, other road users to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles