Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight Replacement

If you guys like the IPFs, you'd be amazed by Cibies, Hellas, JW Speakers, or (especially) the new TruckLite LEDs. The IPFs were the WORST aftermarket lights I tested and not even legal to run. The Fatboy bulbs are equally illegal and achieve their illusion of "brightness/better performance" by moving the focal position of the filament --- think of a Maglight when you twist the bezel and have more light scattering but can't see better with it. A real high-performance bulb actually will have more lumens, better focus, and that's achieved by a smaller capsule, tighter filament windings, better gasses --- look at the new Phillips HIR1&2 bulbs or the Phillips Xtreme Power series of bulbs for inspiration.

Ryan --- If I can talk JW Speaker into a set of lights, would you volunteer your rig as a test platform? You'd have to come up here and stay 'til after dark one night.
    I used Chris for the TruckLites and I don't think he wants to give them up. They set a high benchmark.
    Stumpy has the 5x7 TruckLites and they work even better than the 7" round units.
    Safety fast,
    Bill

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller
    Forks Over Knives

Bill: Dale just put the IPF H4's in his truck. I was about to go the same route, but spent much time reading through your threads. Now I am not sure which route to go.
    I'd be game to test a set of the lights if we can make it happen.

Your reports are most amazing and thorough.

Dendy
    "Experience makes a man humble, as he realizes that despite how much he has learned, he knows very little." Scott Brady

2009 Land Rover LR3 HSE HD-Built-Galway Green-(Mine)
    2009 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged HSE- Bourneville (Hers)
    2010 Conqueror Commander
    Tread Lightly! Trainer

My On Going Build Threads:
    My Truck:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...the-flame.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...nd-Rig!/page25

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    If you guys like the IPFs, you'd be amazed by Cibies, Hellas, JW Speakers, or (especially) the new TruckLite LEDs. The IPFs were the WORST aftermarket lights I tested and not even legal to run. The Fatboy bulbs are equally illegal and achieve their illusion of "brightness/better performance" by moving the focal position of the filament --- think of a Maglight when you twist the bezel and have more light scattering but can't see better with it. A real high-performance bulb actually will have more lumens, better focus, and that's achieved by a smaller capsule, tighter filament windings, better gasses --- look at the new Phillips HIR1&2 bulbs or the Phillips Xtreme Power series of bulbs for inspiration.

Ryan --- If I can talk JW Speaker into a set of lights, would you volunteer your rig as a test platform? You'd have to come up here and stay 'til after dark one night.
    I used Chris for the TruckLites and I don't think he wants to give them up. They set a high benchmark.
    Stumpy has the 5x7 TruckLites and they work even better than the 7" round units.
    Ill defiinitely volunteer my rig. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendy Jarrett View Post
    Bill: Dale just put the IPF H4's in his truck. I was about to go the same route, but spent much time reading through your threads. Now I am not sure which route to go.
    I'd be game to test a set of the lights if we can make it happen.

Your reports are most amazing and thorough.

Dendy
    Those things aren't even legal to sell in North America. The only reason that the NHTSA doesn't go after importers is that they don't have the funding. Same for the bootleg HID kits.
    They nail LOTS and LOTs of the crap in container ships but the volume is so great that much slips through; customs officials don't have the resources either.

The thing that pisses me off the most about the IPF reflectors (besides the blinding stray light to the sides and lack of light in front) is that they put a phony "E" in a circle on the glass to make them look like legal ECE-compliant lights.
    Many of the vendors that sell them think they're legal. Most even think they work well because they confuse being blinded by them for them being bright.

If I score some Speakers to try in Ryan's rig we can give his Hellas to Dale.
    Safety fast,
    Bill

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller
    Forks Over Knives

bill, do you have a written up test/report on the new complex Trucklites?

Wow thats lots of info.....

Those things aren't even legal to sell in North America. The only reason that the NHTSA doesn't go after importers is that they don't have the funding. Same for the bootleg HID kits.
    They nail LOTS and LOTs of the crap in container ships but the volume is so great that much slips through; customs officials don't have the resources either.

The thing that pisses me off the most about the IPF reflectors (besides the blinding stray light to the sides and lack of light in front) is that they put a phony "E" in a circle on the glass to make them look like legal ECE-compliant lights.
    Many of the vendors that sell them think they're legal. Most even think they work well because they confuse being blinded by them for them being bright.

If I score some Speakers to try in Ryan's rig we can give his Hellas to Dale.
    Bill, I'm running the cibies with osram bulbs, not Hellas. Not sure if there is much of a difference.

04 Rubi Front Quarter.JPG0301600118.jpg
    Bosch European H4 Headlights - BusDepot.com - I have been riding motorcycles for years and have used these lights and they are quality - the
    light dispersion pattern is phenomenal... I swapped mine out a year ago and I am extremely happy - the relay kit is definitely worth it as well...http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?...ber=0301600118

VISIONKIT1.jpg
    VisionKit - Performance Headlight Upgrade Kit http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?...ber=VISIONKIT1
    Dim headlights are a thing of the past, with this simple kit. Complete upgrade kit makes a HUGE lighting improvement, with
    minimal cost and effort. SAVE 50% off individual prices! Theses are identical in size to the Jeep TJ wrangler - plug & play.
    Kit Includes:
    - Two German Bosch European spec H4 headlights (the highest rated on the market for Bus and Vanagon use - see this independent review)
    - Two high quality German 90/100 watt H4 bulbs (roughly twice as bright as your stock bulbs)
    - Two Headlight relays with wiring harnesses and fuses
    - Simple, fully illustrated instructions.

Here is a great link on headlights.
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html
    Last edited by cdnabn49; 05-04-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanc View Post
    Bill, I'm running the cibies with osram bulbs, not Hellas. Not sure if there is much of a difference.
    Huge difference; the Cibies blow away the Hellas for overall spread of light, lack of hotspots, and general quality.
    The Hellas have too much foreground light and the highbeams are too high; you can't adjust them in the middle to work best. This results in fantastic highbeam performance but substandard lowbeam work.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnabn49 View Post
    0301600118.jpg
    [B]Bosch European H4 Headlights - BusDepot.com - I have been riding motorcycles for years and have used these lights and they are quality - the
    light dispersion pattern is phenomenal... I swapped mine out a year ago and I am extremely happy - the relay kit is definitely worth it as well...
    Actual photometry on those would dispute that. You'd do much better by replacing that Bosch with a Cibie or a new TruckLite.
    Bosch makes some fantastic lighting products, like Hella. But their H4 reflectors aren't on that list.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...otorcycle-lens

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    bill, do you have a written up test/report on the new complex Trucklites?
    In these links:
    The Trucklites get my vote for sure, at the moment.

Here are a few more links about the new Trucklites.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...eries-1328314/
    http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ts-133954.html

Mind you, the new TruckLites aren't perfect. The SPD, CRI, and CCT all have room for improvement as does the light distribution. I'd also like a replaceable convex glass lens and method of warming the lens to prevent ice-over.
    But, taken as a whole, what these lights offer is excellent. Lots of light where you want it, low power draw, easy install, no need to replace a lens. Ever.
    Safety fast,
    Bill

- Helen Keller
    Forks Over Knives

I ran Cibies back in the 80s racing 911/930s, and loved them!!
    '13 F-150 building...
    '89 Honda Trans Alp

'99 D-I FOR SALE, built and 84k mi. SALE PENDING!
    '94NAS90-->110Tdi FOR SALE (sweet)

TreadLightly! Trainer
    www.thervrbarn.com

Confidence: feeling one has before
    fully understanding the situation...

Attitude: difference between adventure and ordeal!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast