AEV/Burnsville 3.0L Diesel JK Conversion Kit

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
From what I understand the 2.8 CRD in current trim is pressing the existing 6spd manual pretty hard. I think the manual CRD wranglers are detuned to a lower torque?

I'm pretty sure I saw a comment from DH that said the 6spd can handle it just fine, it's the OEM clutch that is the weak point.
Also, the Mopar HEMI kit will "soon" be available with a standard, so there must be something out there that can handle the torque.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think the manual CRD wranglers are detuned to a lower torque?

I just checked and you are correct.
On the Australian Jeep site, the 6spd CRD is only 410 Nm while the auto is 460 Nm of torque (both are 147 kW of power)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
In This thread on AEV relating to the Diesel Wrangler, Dave says:

AEVDave said:
Its actually not the clutch, but the dual mass flywheel. I've heard that someone (Valeo maybe) was coming out with a solid flywheel which would be way better.
dh

and:

AEVDave said:
Personally, If I lived where both were offered I would choose the diesel over the pentastar unless I drove in a lot of sand where the high RPMs help. More power and double the mileage.
dh

Interesting coming from someone that actually has a 2.8 CRD Wrangler

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
To bump this back to the top - we didn't hear anything about 3.0 conversion kits at SEMA. Damn.

This post from burnsville says they did a 3.0 swap into a JK for Crysler, but the engine is too big and complex for it to work well. They think the 2.8 is much better.
That was in 2007 though, so I wonder if that was the "old" 3.0

Thoughts?

-Dan

Jorsn

Adventurer
To bump this back to the top - we didn't hear anything about 3.0 conversion kits at SEMA. Damn.

This post from burnsville says they did a 3.0 swap into a JK for Crysler, but the engine is too big and complex for it to work well. They think the 2.8 is much better.

Thoughts?

-Dan

I'm not surprised you didn't hear anything at SEMA, Still way too soon for that kind of info.

The 3.0 that Burnsville swapped is not the same as the 3.0 that will be in next years Grand Cherokee. They used the Mercedes 3.0 and this new Fiat designed 3.0 is smaller.

Frank

Explorer
Just my thought, but to my understanding, AEV components are the ONLY off-road products you can purchase and roll the cost into a finance charge with Chrysler. -they are the only company that has their name on the window sticker, nationally. I would say Jeep and AEV have a great relationship.

That said, I bet if you went into the AEV facility today, there are a few diesel engines on the floor or between the frame rails of JK's.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
You will not here anything until Jeep manufactures a Wrangler with a Diesel in it. It is not ability or demand that is holding it back. It is legality. You can't currently get a diesel Wrangler registered, especially if your state / county requires emission tests, if it is not originally offered by the factory. Usually only exception is vehicles over 25 years old, as they are exempt from emissions.

Thoughts?

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You will not here anything until Jeep manufactures a Wrangler with a Diesel in it. It is not ability or demand that is holding it back. It is legality. You can't currently get a diesel Wrangler registered, especially if your state / county requires emission tests, if it is not originally offered by the factory. Usually only exception is vehicles over 25 years old, as they are exempt from emissions.

I live in the Yukon in Canada, where it makes no different what engine I put in my vehicle. There is no emissions testing. Ever.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne