RTT... A first time buyer's questions.

Honu

lost on the mainland
just saw this thread :)

materials I still love rip stop HEAVY poly cotton canvas :)
some reasons poly cotton canvas keeps heat in better when cool and when hot stays cooler than nylon and stays darker inside which we like ! no condensation and is silent no flappy/snappy noise in wind
nylon has its place in weight and space savings though for sure
one is not better than the other again each has its strengths but I do feel when presented with a reason that one can have a advantage over the other big time and if space or weight is not a concern then poly cotton canvas all the way !!

few thoughts
like mentioned without kids no annex IMHO with kids get a annex
put a PETT toilet below when your 3 or 4 year old has to go potty !!! a lot better than going out of the tent etc..
getting up with the kids in the morning getting them ready is so much easier when standing and having room to move around then trying to do it sitting etc..
at least for our kids :)
yes you can do it in a normal low tent but with the option why ? I like to take the easy way out

now style of annex I seem to see two models one with a floor and one without ? I have pros cons to both
I prefer a floor so its cleaner etc.. zip in or out floor could be nice ?

usually I would get up hit the buddy heater going then get ready and in 5 minutes the tent would be toasty warm and had happy kids and wife

our annex was also big enough for a play pen which when our little guy was small was nice to put him in for napping and keep the bugs off him and also the heavy canvas made napping easier with the dark ! and sleeping in is easier :)

fully enclosed annex allows a lot more sleeping area to as kids grow etc..

this is what ours is like with a fully tubbed floor etc.. if I was picking out a RTT again I would for sure go with a annex and full floor
conqueror_fs-03.jpg

Finlay

Triarius
I prefer cotton over nylon, but nylon is much lighter and easier to deal with - like, when you're putting the tent away, and you have to tuck everything in. This is much easier with nylon than canvas. Also, the tent is light enough that my wife can lift it.

Agreed, the annex is very handy to have.

Here is mine in action last weekend. The annex worked great for the dog kennels, and at roughly 9x7 was just enormous.

Long_Lake.jpg

richxd87

Observer
Hey Guys,
I'm interested in a RTT but can't decide between the open entry and the covered entry.
Covered entry - pro: larger annex, more shade cover if not using annex.
Open entry - more air flow because door is not covered, a little bit lighter and easier to put away?

I'm really leaning towards the open entry just because i feel like it will have better circulation in the warmer months. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

The two i'm considering:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7026

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8250

60Dan

Explorer
I also have been looking at a RTT. I was ready to pull the trigger yesterday on a camping labs medium size, called Fernando with credit card in hand and said that they were not only out of stock, but due to some manufacturing issues, they most likely wouldnt have anything back in stock for a few months. They are not even taking any pre-orders anymore, due to not having an exact date in mind. Back to the drawing board.
Considering this one ---> http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-5630

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but would like to hear opinions on others experience with it (being a 1st time buyer myself) ;)

Honu

lost on the mainland
^^^ That annex looks big. Heck.. The tent looks big. What setup is this?

its on a trailer :) its a conquest setup from South Africa but gives you a idea of a annex tents
and the width is 2.1 meters wide

the other thing I like are the ones that hang over the entry and ladder like some of the howling moon tourer and stargazer have
( you mentioned this a few posts up )
or like in Finlay post above not sure what tent that is ? :) but looks like the styles I like with the enclosed bottom annex

some are a zip on the bottom of the tent but not part of it where you have to climb out of your tent then get into the annex ? not sure but myself would only want one you climb down into !!!
my kids are now 3 and the other turning 8 this week :) we started with the RTT when wife was prego with our little guy and our girl was 4

http://www.howlingmoon.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=51&Itemid=73

bundugear guy has some pics on his site (he is US howling moon dealer and member here)

http://www.bundugear.com/galleries/index.html
one of those is this one gives you a idea the larger annex looks like its a lot like my trailer also where the one side zips down for vehicle access
I have never owned a howling moon but have seen them and they seem to be a great tent though

PatrolStargazer.jpg

the other thing in RTT to look for IMHO again is
again hope this helps some

Last edited:

3d fj

Observer
I prefer cotton over nylon, but nylon is much lighter and easier to deal with - like, when you're putting the tent away, and you have to tuck everything in. This is much easier with nylon than canvas. Also, the tent is light enough that my wife can lift it.

Agreed, the annex is very handy to have.

Here is mine in action last weekend. The annex worked great for the dog kennels, and at roughly 9x7 was just enormous.

View attachment 100174

Is this the mt rainer?

3d fj

Observer
Hey Guys,
I'm interested in a RTT but can't decide between the open entry and the covered entry.
Open entry - more air flow because door is not covered, a little bit lighter and easier to put away?

I'm really leaning towards the open entry just because i feel like it will have better circulation in the warmer months. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

The two i'm considering:

Hey. I'll help you out a bit. http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marketplace/589967-rooftop-tent-sale.html

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hey Guys,

The two i'm considering:

if ya read my threads covered entry for me :)
also even if its raining etc.. would rather have that option then not
even with our setup in Arizona its nice and cool cause its a poly cotton !!! that is the key is the fabric if you get a nylon one then I might say the open one would be better
whenever we camp around other people many comment on how cool are tent is in temp :) also if its hot and you can pull a awning over the top even a light weight one like a kelty wing it will help cool down the tent quite a bit with that shade !!!! just a idea in hot temps

mountain mike

I bought a RTT about this time last year. I plan on using it only than 5-8 times a year so I decided to go with one of the "lesser" priced versions. Although the Autohome and Howling Moon's RTT looked very nice, I just couldn't justify the extra $$.
I researched the Mombasa, Camping Labs, Cascade, and ARB. I wanted a covered entry with access to an annex. I like the idea of coming down the latter under the tent vs. exposed. I thought if it were raining this set up would be better. The covered entry requirement eliminated the Camping Labs.
I ended up going with the ARB for ONE reason. The ARB has no guy wires. The Mombasa and Cascade (at least the Shasta does, not sure about the Rainier) requires guy wires to run from the overhang of the tent to the ground.
I like to drink when I camp, and when I'm not camping for that matter, and I was worried about tripping over and running into the wires. I thought the ARB offered a cleaner operating product than the others that I researched.

Finlay

Triarius
Is this the mt rainer?

Yes, it is.

And it does have tie downs for the overhang - but they aren't strictly necessary. If you use the annex, or it isn't that windy, you won't need them.

I see CVT has a slightly different (updated) design for the Rainier than the one I have.

Also, this is a good thread to peruse...

3d fj

Observer
I just got an email from barbara king over at TRDparts4u.com. She states that the annex on the mombasa tent is an open floor. There goes that option for me. Looks like the mt. rainier is in my future unless i come across something else that strikes my fancy...

corbin8or

Adventurer
I've been using a camping lab tent for about 4 years now and love it! I now am a rep for tepui tents because I build a trailer that uses their tent. Side by side, exactly the same tent, except the ladder... Iron man, ARB, . mumbassa, camping lab. Same, go with setvice. Check out relying, 4 sizes, two with vestibules and annexes. Good tent for the money.

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
I have an ARB Simpson 3, i have been very happy with it but take consideration of the weather u intend to use it in. My arb is extremely waterproof but less breathable which makes it hotter in the summer months, more breathable will undoubtedly be cooler but less waterproof for spring and fall camping. I just purchases a tent fan and am hoping that will get things cooled down on breezeless nights.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles