Defenders more uncomfortable than Discovery's/Range Rovers?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I've owned two Discovery 1's and a Range Rover Classic and have always found them very comfortable vehicles even for long hours behind the wheel. I have been considering buying a Defender 110 to add to the stable, but from what I've read from members here and elsewhere, the Defender has a reputation of being a lot more uncomfortable on long trips. Besides less creature comforts, does this have to do with seating position, ergonomics, ride, etc. For those of you who own 110's and have used them for long distance extended trips, what are your experiences in comparison with other Rovers?

Thanks,

David

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have owned many of the different models, my favorite of all time vehicle for the best of both worlds has been my 1993 range rover classic LWB. I converted it to manual and put a 4.6 in it and the manual locking transfer box..nice cold air conditioning and you can drive at 90 mph and still hear the stereo, plenty of leg and head room and then very capable off road.....she was a bit heavy on gas but that was the price you pay... Having said that I was about to use that vehicle for my round the world trip but for some reason I decided to go with a defender 110... Nowhere near as fast or comfortable ( I am 6'2" so it's a little short on leg room) no air con etc etc etc but I think there is something that screams adventure when you look at a defender.. And it's a little more user friendly once you start loading all the expeditionary crap on it.... I think if I was to convert the range over to diesel ( better for longer distances and remote places) I would have lost a few of the items I was so enamored with in order to gain others...

czenkov

Adventurer
Besides less creature comforts, does this have to do with seating position, ergonomics, ride, etc. For those of you who own 110's and have used them for long distance extended trips, what are your experiences in comparison with other Rovers?

Thanks,

David

I have driven my 90 to Canada and practically all the way to Mexico from SLC and I find it comfortable. I am 6' & 175lbs and ergo's are perfect for me. I can have my foot on the gas all day without fatigue. The one complaint I have is no tilt wheel as the wheel is a bit high for long trips. You have to reach for it a bit but on the plus side this makes keeping two hands on it more comfortable than one and that is prob better for safe driving anyway. I find the seat supportive and comfortable. That being said after 10 hours driving there is fatigue, but these days I find I get tired at that drive time in anything. I love my Defender and am bummed when we don't take it places but sometimes fuel savings are more important.

D110

Observer
A Defender is our daily driver and we love it - that said, we sometimes will rent a car if we need to drive places more than a couple hours away on the freeway (I can't believe you can rent cars for $16.00 a day!) as after a few hours on the freeway the Defender can become a bit tiring and noisy. In most cases the gas savings will pay for the rental car.

maxingout

Adventurer
I find that the Defender is the most comfortable car I have driven with respect to my how my back feels when driving off-road. The curve of the front seats is an exact fit to my back, and for long off-road drives, it feels awesome. The bench seats in the back are very uncomfortable, and I would not want to travel a long distance sitting on them.

If you are talking about comfort for expeditionary travel off the pavement, the front seats in a Defender are the best for me.

If you are talking about sound levels and creature comforts in a vehicle, then Defender would be down the list for many people.

For me, the Defender driving experience is not about creature comforts. When I sit in my Defender, my mind is transported to the plains of the Serengeti and the sand dunes of Arabia. I can't get in my Defender without feeling better about my life and about my future adventures. Weird. Perhaps. But it is the real world of driving in a Defender. I like the way my back feels when I am driving my Defenders. But I love the way my mind feels when I am behind the wheel of my 110.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I agree with maxingout , the front seats in my 110CSW are about the best for long distances of any, the longest was 33hrs driving in 43 . The ride depends on the loading as it tends to be a bit harsh if you are set up for expedition weight, and are running about unladen. The diesels are a bit on the noisy side , although county spec is a bit quieter, but not rangerover level, but the V8 is a lot quieter than the diesels , but you pay in fuel consumption. I did fit Tracker highbacks in my wagon as the standard seats are short distance only , but a better choice is fit another pair of fronts in the second row. JMHO

Last edited:

czenkov

Adventurer
I can't get in my Defender without feeling better about my life and about my future adventures. Weird. Perhaps. But it is the real world of driving in a Defender. I like the way my back feels when I am driving my Defenders. But I love the way my mind feels when I am behind the wheel of my 110.

I agree. My guys used to ask me what I drove to work (the Defender is now my DD) because when I drove the Defender I was in a better state of mind than when I drove the Toyota.

dieselandmud

Adventurer
I drove my 97' Disco from Mt Rushmore, SD to Cookeville, TN pulling a small camper trailer, nonstop. Took me just under 24hr at around 1400 mile. When I got home I cut the grass. Just saying.......

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I don't ever remember asking myself if my foot was on fire when I drove the disco.

That is funny as a hoot. Just spewed coffee! :)
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't type it.

I never found the 110 to be uncomfortable in regards to the seat. Just the fact that in the winter it was cold inside, in the summer, it was an oven (the air conditioner for a 110 consist of two gerbils blowing over an ice cube) and when it rained, the water dripping in from the drivers door top was somewhat annoying. If it was one of those dewy mornings, driving could be a challenge because the windows would fog up so bad, I'd have to stop every 10 miles and wipe the insides of the windows with a towel.
But uncomfortable seats ... no.

D

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Well not sure if a series counts, but I have driven long distances in my classic, both swb and lwb series, a 101, and ridden as a passenger in a 90. I have had issues with all of them :D but don't have any issues sitting in the series all day long, and the windscreen on the defender makes it even better. My only complaint in the 90 was the silly AC in the passenger footwell.

I will add a 110/127/130 to the stable, and while I may look at some different seats for it, I am convinced that it will be plenty comfortable for as long as I want to be behind the wheel. I mean its not like you look at your row of cars and go, man I have to be in Vegas in 6 hours, let me take the defender (no matter which engine it has).

Mike and Myles

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Let's see if I can put in perspective at 6'-3" and 245#. I have driven Defenders from NC to Co, to Moab, to Belize, and to Newfoundland, but have ridden motorcycles as far and more often. In all reality I think I like the Defender experience because it is a lot like the bikes- you are part of the environment. Comfortable? Not so much. But for solo travel, comfort is not my goal- however emersing myself into the moment is. I drove my first D90 as a DD for a couple years, sans top- it took that long to become ready for comfort on DD trips, and went to a 90 wagon. Did that for three years, then flipped back and forth. However, I must admit when I drove my 130 to Co with a fellow D lover, then we drove an LR3 home, reality hit us square in the face. After a 20 hr day in the D it took a day to hear well again and regain feeling to all body parts. After a 20 hr day in the LR3, we were fresh as one can be after said trip. Might be because we could converse and listen to the radio- at the same time!! It is all up to the priorities of the owner and how enthralled he is with his vehicle.

NOTE: I have not been without a Defender since my first ride in one 19 years ago....

Hmm, I seem to be significantly shorter than Dale...just not much lighter. :)

I've found the Disco much more comfortable than the D90..probably due to the cruise control and the easing of pressure on my old bad knee.

overlander

Expedition Leader
x2 on what Dale said. My 110 is my DD. I think the trick to having a comfortable Defender experience is soundproofing, good seat foam and not being too tall. Regardless, the Discovery range will always be more comfortable no matter what. My wife has a DII. I prefer to drive the Defender when I want to drive, and prefer to drive the Disco when I don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne