Redthies' '97 F350 Thread

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
As some of you may know, i suffer from "vehicular A.D.D." I tend to buy, fix up, and sell a few rigs. I used to average about 6 months in a truck before i would look for something else. I have a short list of "regret selling that" trucks. This '97 is a replacement/homage for two of those.

I bought a '96 F350 reg cab with 7.3 PSD and ZF5 brand new. Sold it a year later after the company stopped paying vehicle allowance. I should have just made more money! I also sold my '92 F350 crew with 7.5 and E4OD after a six month long road trip through the southwest and Mexico left me short on cash. I have a pics of the white '92, but none of the '96 on a computer.

The new ride is a one owner '97 F350 crew with 7.3 PSD and E4OD. It is a XLT that is reasonably clean, but I do have a list of things to do. The original owner was a contractor (like me), but he did a lot of concrete work and used the truck like a truck should be. It had a big rack on it at on point that actually broke up the front of the box a bit. That is all welded up and painted now. He also had the glowplug relay go out on him, and not being all that mech-savvy, he took some guys advice about how well ether works... great if you want to blow a hole in your airbox! I am now looking for a new intake set-up. I think I will home brew a BHAF rig.

I have also bought a big slide in camper in place of the off-road trailer we had. That called for airbags. Firestones are now installed. The truck had camper bars already. Bonus!

All in, it is a good starting point. I plan to do a Sky Offroad shackle reversal kit and re-bush the entire front end, a complete new carpet kit (or vinyl if I can find a factory quality one), some lights, and a set of new load range E 315/75 R16s. I am looking at Toyo MTs, Hankook MTs and Firestone MTs. There are almost no E tires in 315 that will get me to my winter job up the muddy/snowy logging roads.

Now, for some pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0315.JPG
    DSCN0315.JPG
    504.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 96
  • STV_0419.JPG
    STV_0419.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 91
  • STV_0423.JPG
    STV_0423.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 86
  • STV_0427.JPG
    STV_0427.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 90
  • STV_0430.JPG
    STV_0430.JPG
    492.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
Great truck. Thanks for posting up some pics. Perhaps I'll see you cruising the Sea-to-Sky sometime, or unloading off of the Queen of Oak Bay.

I really like that generation of Ford truck. Reminds my of how much I liked my 94. Nice camper. Looks like its huge inside. I'd love one with the pop out bed as mine has to fit 5 people. Only downside to the pop out for us, would be when "Ninja Camping". Living on an island and having two lads in hockey means sometimes they have ice-times earlier than the first ferry. Thus, put the camper on the truck and head over the night before. Find a quiet side street and "ninja camp".

Looking forward to more pics and build stories.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ahh, yes. The ninja camp:). It will be easier to do in this rig, than in our tent trailer! There is still a bed in the dinette, so you don't have to open the tent part. That is just a nice bonus "dog house" when we are set up for more than a quick night. The ferry pic is "The Sloot of Surrey" on the way back from Gibsons. It took a while to find time to post pics as I have been working seven days a week. Today I was "grounded" by the wife, so aside from ExPo I have Konig Pilsners from Germany, three dogs on the couch, and Deliverance on the TV.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Looks like a nice truck to be starting with. It might be easier to find the tires you need if you went with 17" wheels. It sucks that you would have to buy new wheels, but the E rated selection in 35x12.50R17 is much better than 315/75/R16.

Shiryas

Adventurer
Tires

Redtheis,

The only E tires I found in a 315/16 are the Goodyear Duratrac. They are rated with the Mountain & Snowflake on the tire and I have seen the Oil/Gas industry use them a lot here as well as a Sled Dog racer that had them on his Crew Cab and a three co-workers, all have spoken highly of the tire.

Nice looking new ride. I was confused at first by your interest in the RSK . . . Redthies, Oh yeah he has that nice looking white CC, with the RSK and 35" tires, he posted pic's of it in Baja.

I understand on the Vehicle ADD thing, I am finally getting some things done on my truck instead of accumulating parts and planning. I am in Baja again this fall to help some friends race, and I can take the slow road home.

Cheers, Chris

Nice truck looking forward to more pics of your adventures with it and the progress you make on it. Then if you only weren't on the other side of the country I would buy it from you in 6 months or a year when you had it all fixed up and that add kicked in:sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Great lookin' rig! :bike_rider:

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

We are planning a trip that will have us passing the Logan and Park City area in september. You may just see us on the road. I still have a Cummins swap in mind, although I won't rush into it unless the powerstroke craps the bed.

Rot Box

Explorer
We are planning a trip that will have us passing the Logan and Park City area in september. You may just see us on the road. I still have a Cummins swap in mind, although I won't rush into it unless the powerstroke craps the bed.

Sounds like a good time I hope do :bike_rider:

If you're waiting for the PSD to crap out I think you'll be waiting awhile :coffeedrink:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What is the benefit of running superduty leafs on my truck? I know people do it, I would assume they are slightly longer and provide a better ride. Any more weight capacity over my stock springs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz