Bearings spinning out

MOAK

Adventurer
I keep blowing bearings out on my trailer.. New bearings 3,000 miles ago, bearing buddies installed, and still they spin out,, I'm using a 1 ton axle with 1 1/8" spindles with 33x10 rubber,, total weight might be 350 to 400 lbs.. bought a new axle today, and will replace in the AM, then onward to Moab,, Any thoughts? The only thing I can figure is bad or warped spindles from the factory.. HELP. !!!! ;)

twblanset

Observer
Are they both spinning out? I'd guess an out-of-round race if it was just one of them. How are you torquing them down?

MOAK

Adventurer
Just one side at a time, the drivers side went two years ago, so I replaced both sides.. Not much torque on the castle nut, just nice and snug, then cotter pinned.. The first one to blow was factory set.. rebuilt both sides and went with bearing buddies.. ?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Are both the inner and outer bearings going, or just the outer bearing?

Our shop flatbed "eat" up a couple of outer bearings after the trailer was hit by a car, turned out the spindle was bent in relationship to the axle.

If both bearings are going it may be that the assembly has been tightened too much. Reading what you have stated it doesn't sound like you over tightened them, but the adjustment needs to be done correctly. We have an article covering service and maintenance here.

For off road use I'd suggest going with a 3.5K axle, with #84 spindles this gives you a bigger bearing.

MOAK

Adventurer
Thanks Martyn,,, the bigger axle is my obvious solution,, I was leery of running the little 1 ton axle, now I know why..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94