Safety Thimble for Steel Cable?

Awkragt

Adventurer
****** kind of SUV doesn't come equipped with tow loops???

Some JKs, Since I got the stripped down X version, it didn't come with tow hooks on the front bumper. That's been rectified. It was good to see hooks and loops out of the gate on the Landcruiser.

I've been doing the regular hook that came with the winch line. The rollers I got rusted really fast and look like crap anyway.
P1040300.jpg

The main thing with winching in general is that all the numbers shown for strength are all tested or ultimate strength. Very different than the safe working load. Inspecting the line is critical if you do a lot of winching.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-rope-strength-d_1518.html

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Like this one guy I helped out at the beach a couple weeks ago....

98 - I watched the whole video, and man, you are one patient, generous fellow. Good on ya for taking care of those poor fools. The "mother-in-law" episode was an absolute riot!

What video system are you using on the truck that has simultaneous front, side and rear recording?

Sorry to hijack. PM me to keep this thread on course if you wish.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
98 - I watched the whole video, and man, you are one patient, generous fellow. Good on ya for taking care of those poor fools. The "mother-in-law" episode was an absolute riot!

What video system are you using on the truck that has simultaneous front, side and rear recording?

I'm using an EyeMax multi-channel DVR hidden in the glove box and cheap FleaBay cameras :cool:

4 Channel DVR
CF Based
30fps (per channel)
Programmable Motion Detection
Triplex (record/replay/live)
Audio (I have yet to install the mics)

Bumper cams are flush mount with IR night vision ($15 bucks each)
Side view cams have turtle shells ($13 bucks each)
Lipstick interior dash cam uses a suction cup mount ($20 bucks)

Here's a short walk thru video:

You'd be surprised some of the crazy $#!t this thing picks up lol

Here's an old video where an NYPD cruiser backs up into a Honda Pilot.

The ocifer's partner actually threatened the Honda driver and said he would cite him for failure to yield if he didn't leave right away, but the video clearly shows the ocifer backing up without looking.

The driver contacted me after seeing his video on YouTube and used it to file a complaint against the NYPD, but I'm not sure what happened after that...

Here's one where a lady driving a Camry and yapping on her phone did a panic stop on a yellow because she spotted a cop sitting at the intersection.

The cop was actually yapping on her own cell and missed the entire thing lol

A close call with a lady driving a Taxi... She was also yapping on her phone and pulled into a turning lane, then decided to try and force her way back into traffic when the lane ended...

A house trailer losing a wheel while turning a corner lol

Pushing a busted parts van off the road...

Hitting a refrigerator on the highway....

My insurance company thought I was pulling their leg until I showed them the video lol

A hit and run involving two Altimas.

I gave chase (not exactly a smart thing to do) and got the plate after boxing him in, but when he got desperate and busted a U-Turn blowing through a red light, I just pulled over and called the police, leaving the chase up to the car that got hit.

I honestly think dash cams should be standard equipment on all vehicles :cool:

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
about dash cams, there was this thing on youtube, this guy had a dash cam going, and was in a traffic jam. and this guy backed into him. no reverse lights, but can clearly tell the guy rolled back into him. could hear the guys horn blowing at him. both guys get out of the car, and guy in front is yelling at the guy that he rolled back into, saying he hit him...

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
about dash cams, there was this thing on youtube, this guy had a dash cam going, and was in a traffic jam. and this guy backed into him. no reverse lights, but can clearly tell the guy rolled back into him. could hear the guys horn blowing at him. both guys get out of the car, and guy in front is yelling at the guy that he rolled back into, saying he hit him...

Yep, there are tons of scammers on the road :smilies27

This is probably the one you're talking about....

And here's another with a lady trying to pull the same thing (love her reaction lol)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
When I get stuck enough to need a winch I'm usually planted in the drivers seat with both feet on the breaks. A fellow wheeler, stranger, wife or other less skilled rigger may be expected to rig the line. That line will have a stupid simple hook on it. Pulling over a rig that by the b pillar very quickly because an occupant has an arm trapped or because the smoldering is about to be flames is another reason for a stupid simple and fast safety hook. Drop that pin in the rocks at night, let that rig burn with its upside down kid knocked out in it or watch the rig slide the rest of the way into they canyon while your buddy is fooling with a shackle and you will ditch the unsafe thimble as well. I'm not saying it's the only or even best way to rig a complicated pull but there are times when you are running for a winch.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Why not just get a rubber "hook saver" block? Does pretty much the same thing at a fraction of the cost and doesn't add another part that can malfunction to an already inherently dangerous winching operation. The block doesn't act as part of the system and since the rope runs through it, can be used as a guide while coiling up the rope. The addition of an aluminum "thimble" just adds another failure point that people are likely to neglect IMO.

attachment.php

WSS

Rock Stacker
The factor thimble looks really cool but it is an extra (or double) link in the recovery chain so to speak. The thimble that is pinned behind it can do the same thing and no extra parts to break. I like the traditional hook w/lock clip or the self locking type shown earlier in thread

Photo564_zps84078731.jpg

Photo562_zps3154cb1d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles