Jeniko Laptop Mount Install

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Not 4wd related, but I just ordered one of the seat mounted units for my Jetta... I'll report on that one when I get it installed...

Kyle

viatierra

Explorer
After seeing Lance's Jeniko mount I put one in as well for the 07 Expo Trophy. It did a great job. I did make one other modification since my installation was wobbling more than I wanted. The wobble seemed to come from flex in the transmission tunnel, not the mount. Perhaps there was a better place for the mounting plate. I fabbed up a simple bracket that connected to the seat rail. 80% of the previous movement is now gone. A lighter weight computer might help as well. Despite how it looks, the mount and my bracket don't interfere with passenger comfort.

1952486584_f5474cb57c.jpg

1952507534_7ec447365f.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
viatierra said:
After seeing Lance's Jeniko mount I put one in as well for the 07 Expo Trophy. It did a great job. I did make one other modification since my installation was wobbling more than I wanted. The wobble seemed to come from flex in the transmission tunnel, not the mount. Perhaps there was a better place for the mounting plate. I fabbed up a simple bracket that connected to the seat rail. 80% of the previous movement is not gone. A lighter weight computer might help as well. Despite how it looks, the mount and my bracket don't interfere with passenger comfort.

1952486584_f5474cb57c.jpg

1952507534_7ec447365f.jpg

Nice work!

cruzinwyo

Observer
How are you powering your laptops? Inverter? Does dell make a 12v charger?
This is the current mod in progress for me, but I'm planning it all out prior to purchasing/installing to have as many kinks out before hand! Thanks for all the tips!

viatierra

Explorer
cruzinwyo said:
How are you powering your laptops? Inverter? Does dell make a 12v charger?
This is the current mod in progress for me, but I'm planning it all out prior to purchasing/installing to have as many kinks out before hand! Thanks for all the tips!

I'm using an inverter stashed underneath the passenger seat.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
take a look at your laptop and you will see that the input voltage is more than likely 12-18volts, so get a dc inverter that is 12vdc to variety of setting/tips...these can be had at staples/ebay and such...I have used 1 on a bunch of laptops over the years in cars/trucks without trouble...
Just think why go 12 to 120 to 16....
My last 1 was $20 off ebay and has been working great
Nice thing is that it has tips for both the pansonic toughbook, and fujitsu

Oh and nice mount brace....I am getting the same tunnel flex and while going to a lighter 3lb fujitsu from the mondo toughbook helped I think the brace is better, I was going to get the jeniko brace but I like your idea better

Adventurer
Here is mine in my D1. Definitely a great value product...

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Disregard the placement of the power converter, as it will soon be neatly installed somewhere under the dash or glove compartment.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
one thing I did that really made it work better for me was to chop off the part of the horizontal arm that I didn't need....that let me rotate it around much easier.
looks good by the way

GSequoia

Jeeps can Expo too!
I know I'm bumping a very old thread but I have a question about the Jeniko mounts...

There was mention of a screen brace but I did not see it on their site, is this something that they no longer make or am I just a blind moron? I'm considering getting one of their mounts (or building my own) but am concerned about the screen being unsupported while driving on rough roads.

Thanks

GSequoia

Jeeps can Expo too!
I know I'm bumping a very old thread but I have a question about the Jeniko mounts...

There was mention of a screen brace but I did not see it on their site, is this something that they no longer make or am I just a blind moron? I'm considering getting one of their mounts (or building my own) but am concerned about the screen being unsupported while driving on rough roads.

Thanks

I contacted Jeniko and they pulled the screen brace they previously had because they didn't like the design. A new brace is currently in development but there is no word when it will be available.

I asked them if the new brace will fit older mounts and have not heard back yet. I'll likely purchase a mount now and fabricate my own screen brace.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I bought one on eBay but shipping to Kanukistan was cheaper buying direct. It works great after many years now and lots of trailing. Very flexible to get them out of the way for a passenger and yet comfy to see and get level for a small table. IIRC I paid about $40 US.

I used a piece of angle iron across the bolts on the front passenger seat of my 70 series and bolted the Jeniko to it. Works perfect and many trailing buddies have liked it and used it as inspiration for theirs. No vibration at all and no extra holes in my TLC.

Last edited:

GSequoia

Jeeps can Expo too!
An update to an old thread.

I've been running the Jeniko mount in both of my Jeep Cherokees for over two years now. I have it set up bolted to my transmission tunnel with no main cross brace nor screen brace. If I'm in particularly rough stuff my screen will flop down (of course) but for the vast majority of smooth driving (including dirt) I have no problems at all, my laptop has tight screen hinges. I don't have as many trail miles as a lot of the folks here but I've put it through the wringer, both on simple little Mojave Road class trails and light hammer trails, I haven't broken it yet. One thing to note though is that because the XJ is a bit small in the cabin I shortened the main arm, this reduces the leverage on the mount so should make it last longer. As always your mileage may vary.

I use it with an old Dell Latitude D510 that can be destroyed for all I care. It is mounted with Velcro on the computer to the back of the "table" and some black duct tape holding the front from jumping over the lip bent onto the table. I've never had it come loose, even with some hard hits.

Laptop+Mount+-+7.jpg

This product is great and and for $50 you can't go wrong. I bought this version http://www.jeniko.com/cfl800-floor-mount-p-1.html and an extra mount to go into both Jeeps, transferring is as easy as one bolt.

Laptop+Mount+-+3.jpg

My full boring article on install in my XJs, obviously won't apply to all vehicles. http://www.boyandjeep.com/2010/02/15/jeniko-laptop-mount I keep telling myself that I'll toss together a simple screen brace and a mount more elegant than velcro and duct tape but this thing just works as is.

Sequoia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online