Jeniko Laptop Mount Install

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So my laptop mount is in...
I have to say that this mount from Jeniko.com is the best thing going for $50 and worth twice that easily. I looked at the Ram mounts...the part that holds the laptop was too thick. Nothing else out there really grabed me until I saw Jeniko's website. They do have a "no drill" mount but I wasn't sure about clearance in front of the seat bolts and if you have looked at any pics or seen my FJC in person you know I am not afraid to drill a hole somewhere.
The mount went in super easy and as you will see in my pics the only mod's I did were to shorten the swing arm since it looked like it might hit the dash and to angle the underside of the swingarm for the sake of the passengers leg...I will more than likely email a pic to Jeniko since I think that angle would be something that would help anyone.
Figure 2 hours for install only if you mod it like I did, otherwise less than 1 hr. I did a desert night run and really pounded on some washes and whoops and the mount held my very heavy Toughbook without any trouble. Yeah it wiggles a touch but nothing serious. If you were really concerned Jeniko has a leg brace that goes to a seat bolt that would help.
Check out the pics and feel free to ask any questions you have.
http://blairsite.com/Gallery/Laptop-Mount-Install

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Excellent...you'll have to let us know how it works.
I'm tinkering with ideas for my Powerbook and mounting options.

safari.gif

1leglance

I like that the mount has vert adj for the sake of the passenger and can swing towards me when I am solo.
I am using indust. strength velcro and it really holds.
Many people I am sure would rather use the "no drill" mount and I look forward to hearing others thought..that mount is $129 I think.
These are made from nice thick alum. and I will post continued updates and I try to beat it up :)
Now to find a dark cloth to drape over my dash & electronics so folks won't see all the goodies when I am in a store or parking lot !!!

RoundOut

Explorer
Very nice.

Good looking laptop mount, there. Do you have a pic of where it mounts to the floorboard or seat bolt?

1leglance

I will get pics of where I drilled into the trans tunnel..
I didn't go with the seat bolt version becuase I didn't think I had room on my FJC...the price for that one is $129 I think

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
http://www.jeniko.com/
I decided to try one. It comes to $66 with shipping and handling. The Jeniko laptop mount arrived today. It did require some modification to fit the way I wanted it to.
I drilled out all six mounting bolts to accept 5/16" bolts. The base was mounted between the seat and console. Centered just behind the front seat bolt.

jenico1.jpg

This area has a reinforcement on the underside. Five out of six bolts when through this extra plating on the underside. It should be plenty sturdy. Some massaging of the interior sheet metal and the back of the bracket was bent down to conform.

jenico2.jpg

The carpet covers it nicely.

I cut the top T-bar down. It was nearly twice as long as I needed.

jenico3.jpg

Of course the modding did not stop there. I had to have my cup holder. This time I cut two 3" holes for twin cup holders.

jenico4.jpg

These help to hold the "no slip" cover in place when the laptop is not installed and come in very handy.
This looks good so far. It seems to be sturdy. Time will tell.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice clean install HenryJ.

So are you using velcro strips or something to fasten your laptop to the flat tray? And is the stand removeable, so you can take it out when not in use? I think for the price you and Lance have found a great solution.

1leglance said:
I looked at the Ram mounts...the part that holds the laptop was too thick.
It was also the hardest part to assemble. I had to get my 6 year old with his tiny hands to help because it was such a PITA. The spring loaded ToughTray is also a mother^%$# to remove your laptop from. It holds it tight for sure, but an extra hand is almost necessary when trying to extract the laptop from the ToughTray.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
... are you using velcro strips or something to fasten your laptop to the flat tray? And is the stand removable, so you can take it out when not in use?
I have been just using the "RV no slip liner" in the past. I would stow the laptop for the rough stuff. I did have a big rubber band (3/16 o-ring) that fit my old mount. It is possible that could work here too.
I am going to form a couple retention brackets for the bottom. There are holes in the sides of the table to mount them. That should be plenty, I hope.

I am working on those brackets as we speak.

It can be removed. The height adjustment knob cab be removed and the top removed. One bolt at the base and the whole upright can be pulled. I thought I'd slide the seat back , take the top off and fold the post down in front of the seat if I need to. I doubt I will need to. I had my old mount there all the time and it was much easier to remove.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Done!

I made a trip to the hardware store after deciding that I need to make my attachment system adjustable. I have a couple different laptops that may be used on the new mount and who knows what will be next.

Here is the hardware that I used:
Two 1/4" threaded hooks, two 1/4"x7" turnbuckles , two 3"x1/2" dia springs , 6" of 1/4" rubber vacuum line tubing, 16" of 3/4" convoluted tubing, 1/2" and 1/4" heat shrink tubing.

hardware.jpg

Remove and discard the right hand threaded eyelet from the turnbuckle.
Straighten the threaded hook to 90°. Then using a measurement of your installed laptop bend an additional 90° to create a hook to hold your laptop.
Slip a piece of shrink tubing to cover the shaft of the threaded hook to isolate it from the hole in the table top.

laphooks2.jpg

Slide a piece of the rubber tubing over the hook to insulate it from damaging the laptop. Hairspray works as a lubricant for installation and dries to hold it in place. I capped the end with an appropriately sized vacuum line cap.

laphooks.jpg

Thread the left hand threaded eyelet all the way into the turnbuckle. Push a piece of shrink tubing over the body of the turn buckle and shrink it in place. Cut away excess from the end where the threaded rod from the hook will be attached. Insert the rod of the hook through the hole in the top and thread a nut on the rod. Now thread the turn buckle on the rod. Attach the spring to the eyelet and the hole on the other side of the top. Loosen the turn buckle as needed for spring tension.

laphooks3.jpg

Cover the spring and eyelet to insulate them.

It will be a while before I test them out, but I am happy with how it turned out. Time to complete less than 2 hours including the gathering of supplies. Cost was less than $10.

15.jpg

This is a 15" laptop and the one that usually travels with me.

17.jpg

Here is a 17" widescreen onboard.

You could add the same hooks to the back side of the top too if needed. Four of these would really secure a laptop. I am not sure if that will be needed. Right now my cupholders take priority.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thank you.

Looking it over I decided to mount two snaps to the back sides for attaching a couple velcro straps. They swivel underneath or can be removed when not needed. That will secure the back and make darn sure it can not be dislodged. The straps will cross over the laptop below the screen. This should just clear the DVD tray.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
UPDATE: It has been installed about two weeks now.
The knob for the height adjustment that was broken just after the install was promptly replaced free of charge. Customer service was somewhat delayed in their response, but I get the idea this is a very small company. They were apologetic and did the right thing. I give them two thumbs up for their customer service.
The mount is great. I get a little wiggle out of the table while offroad. Nothing that worries me though.
This has performed well enough that I think our fund raiser for the local Fire Department will go to purchasing two of these mounts for a couple of our first run vehicles.
We Haunted a corn maze for the Halloween week, and raised enough to buy two mounts, two Delorme Earthmate GPS receivers with mapping software and one laptop. One mount will use a Toughbook supplied by the OSFM Hazmat team.
I will also buy another one to install in my wife's car. I really miss having the navigation when we take her car on trips.

Overall, I am very pleased with this mount, as you can tell. The price makes it very hard to beat, and the product is good too.

1leglance

Happy to hear that your mount is working welll....I am really happy with mine and I am only going to change a couple of things..
First changing from a toughbook to a fujistu small laptop to save size and wgt...this only partially due to the mount (toughbook very heavy) and partly due to wanting a little smaller in the rig.
Second I am getting the extra support pc that goes from the upright to the floor (I now recommend the seat bolt version since it has this setup) because I do get some wiggle with the heavy toughbook and really rough roads/trails/whoops.

I might add a screen holder once I see how the fujistu does.
I also want a small thumb mouse to upgrade the larger thumbwheel I have now...one like this
http://www.fentek-ind.com/fingermouse.htm
or
http://www.trackballworld.com/40-440.html
or another one I can't find which you wear like a ring!

As a performance review I have beat the crap out of mine with a very heavy toughbook CF50 15in monster and it has held up great.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Computer mounting solutions

Good job with the mounting solutions fellas. This is one mod that's on my to do list. I like it.

1leglance said:
I also want a small thumb mouse to upgrade the larger thumbwheel I have now...one like this
http://www.fentek-ind.com/fingermouse.htm

I've seen this mouse in action at the Expedition Trophy this year. It was used by two different people and seemed to work very well. Very slick. I want one! Perhaps I should get a computer first! :shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94