Whiskey Offroad 2012 - Prescott

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It was another awesome weekend in Prescott with 3000 people and 1700 mountain bike racers taking to the trails. I had a good run in my race. I finished 5th in the Singlespeed 25 race. I was 27th out of 693 in the combined geared and SS category. Fun day, to say the least.

cn-1.jpg
That's me racing for Rudy Project.

podium.jpg
Feels good even being on the short step of the podium. Maybe I need to grow more hair?

If you guys ever want to attend a genuinely awesome weekend, head down here.

http://vimeo.com/41226963

trailsurfer

Explorer
Bummed that I missed it this year. Had to travel for work on Friday and Sunday, so there was no way to make it work. Congratulations on the great result.

See you at Expo, let me know if I can bring you anything since you are riding up.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sorry you couldn't make it to the race, trailsurfer. It's getting better every year with Durango bringing a ton of riders. The Durango young guns did great. There were two of your high school kids right behind me for the first half of the race. I shouldn't need anything when I arrive at Expo save for a cold beer. That's going to be a long 134 miles that day.

Psychle, I was running a 34x20. The top 5 guys in our race are usually on 32x19 or 32x20. I've run a 19 before and think it's more about strength and staying on your gear than it is about the gear itself.

Speaking of gearing. The overall winner of the 50 Proof was a singlespeeder riding for Honey Stinger. He clobbered the geared guys and pushed a 34x10. I couldn't turn that gear DOWN many sections!

phsycle

Adventurer
Wo wo wo, hold up. This guy was running a 34x10??!!! 88 gear inches if he was running a 26" wheel. I don't even want to calculate for a 29er. That is insanity. Did he just HAB up every hill? There was over 7k of climbing in that race!!

What's funny is out of the top 10, half were SS'ers. And 4 out of top 6. Ha!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Wo wo wo, hold up. This guy was running a 34x10??!!! 88 gear inches if he was running a 26" wheel. I don't even want to calculate for a 29er. That is insanity. Did he just HAB up every hill? There was over 7k of climbing in that race!!

What's funny is out of the top 10, half were SS'ers. And 4 out of top 6. Ha!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/whiskey-off-road-2012/amateur-50-and-25-proof/results

I read it here and certainly heard about it amidst the post-race, beer fed, chatter. It's on a 26" bike, but still....that's insane.

The course is pretty prime for singlespeeders, but many of us locals have calculated two descents, one on the pavement to the finish line, that are about 4-5 minutes faster with gears. It's super frustrating to ride that last four miles at 16mph...coasting....just watching the clock tick away as the geared guys drop cogs and sprint. So, without that last section, I'd say the singlespeeders would really flood the top positions. My time would have put me at 12th out of 400 geared riders.

Such a fantastic event. Can't believe it's three blocks from my house!

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I know trailsurfer, like me, enjoy seeing young riders come up through the ranks. Here's a kid to watch.

http://www.wholeathlete.com/team_athletes_cypress.html

This kid is all of 125 pounds with a brick on his head. I've seen a variety of Cat 1s and Cat 2 riders try to drive down the time on the 25 Proof course. Five years ago, a fast time was sub 2:45. That time has been crunched down to 2:15 in the last couple years. Cypress clocked at 1:59.

Unreal. Then again, this is a kid who's competed in World Cups, World Championships and done pretty well to boot.

My former Cat 2 self can't imagine taking 40 minutes of my time to match Cypress' time. That is FAST.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Crushing it Christophe! Nice job.

I wish I could have made the race too.

I cant seem to wrap my head around 34-10. That;s taller than my commuter that I just got off of. Yup, flat downhill and barely spun out my 34-11. Just nuts. Those trails are fun! I think I will bring a SS for OX12 and get a lil.

I bet the old folks have the trails built nicely after the winter.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm with you, crisco. How did he climb any hill steeper than 2%??? I just don't get it. The guy works right near me, so I'll have to go chat with him.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This was just a crazy race this year. Much of it baffles me.

Here's another weird one. According to the results and rumor mill, a junior from Cortez beat me by 6 minutes. He's 11 years old. I can't quite get my noggin around that one either.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Good job guys! My wife and I were up there for the weekend for my Birthday. We decided it was killing the economics of the area by all these mountain bikers NOT drinking in the bars. So we took it upon ourselves to do exactly that, to make up for it. We did it for you. We did it for Prescott. :sombrero:

Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles