Another 1991 Suburban

sean257

Adventurer
I recently bought a 1991 GMC Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 that has a 6" lift and 36" tires on 15" rims.
Stock 350, and automatic with 133k miles + (20% x unknown mileage it has been on 36's) No power anything, the radio doesn't get any stations, the gas gauge only works between 1/4 and E (but that is the most important range, so I am not going to fix it), speedo is 20% off, and the third row passenger side seatbelt doesn't retract. It cost $1,900.00

We don't go on expeditions, or use our vehicles to camp out, but my 5.5 year old daughter and I like to go explore and sometimes make trails in our smashed up little 84 CJ7 that we keep at the lake. The economy being what it is, there are some developments around the lake that barely got started, or are on hold so I am helping them knock over the small trees this making it a touch easier for them when they finally get going and clear the land completely... Now that my 1.5 year old boy can go + my wife + my friend and his kids, I decided we could use something bigger to haul everyone, and take short trips on the expressway to some of the creeks and rivers (the Jeeps handling is sketchy to me at 70mph) that are within an hour or so. Most of the time it will just be parked at the lake next to the jeep waiting for us to abuse it, so I am not worried about daily driveability, mpg, or any of that sort of stuff.

Since I work at a steel fabrication shop, I am having some fortifications made, and a roof rack just for fun. I will probably use the roof rack as a patio where I can sit in a lawn chair and watch the kids. In genreal my plans are to make sure it is relatively safe, comfortable, and not lose my headlights and grille when I purposely run into a tree or something.

Please offer any advice you have for me to achieve my modest goals!
I put some photos in the Suburban photo thread, but I will add progress pics here.

New to us:
f8dae853.jpg

cd2ca670.jpg

First mod - Rattle canned the wheels black:
4f4e0db5.jpg

I bought a casette to iphone thing at walmarts for $5 as a fix to my radio that cant find a station.
I also downloaded a speedometer app, so I don't have to do math to figure my speed (although it is almost an even 20%)

Front bumper progress:
7ccaea55.jpg

It is sturdy 3/16"

Last edited:

sean257

Adventurer
Some time went by with no visible progress, but a squeek from under the hood is gone - new alternator, and I now have air conditioning compliments of a new compressor (old one was locked up) and new seals and misc for r134
Since I got a new alternator I got to thinking I should have dual batteries to help out with the six hella 700's, two hella 500's on the front rack of the roof rack/front bumper and two generic lights on the back of the roof rack, and the 12000 lb warn winch (CL - $400). So I now have a dual battery setup. I also have a drivers seat that does not require a rachet strap to hold the seatback up, and both of the armrests fold down on the passenger seat. Score 2 for comfort!

sean257

Adventurer
Roof rack progress:
d39d1e08.jpg

Not the best pic with the scaffolding, but you can kind of get the idea.

We do not have a machine to roll this small square tube at our shop, so he is making the corners out of plate:
2941ad5e.jpg

He is also making the transition from ~12" tall in front of the rack around the lights to ~6-1/2" tall out of 1" thick plate cut to contour on our plasma table. I will have to take a pic.

New running boards are sturdy as the front bumper:
13879fa8.jpg

Tiebacks from running board to frame.
c729fdba.jpg

That is all for now.

I am waiting on the front bumper and roof rack to be complete and painted, winch and lights to be mounted and wired, ladder down back driver side barn door, and new back bumper with a fold down step below the ladder.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Some cool additions you've made already, I love suburbans. I know you said you weren't going to do much to It but it looks like its going to snowball and before you know it you'll have this among expo suburban lol

sean257

Adventurer
Thanks!

Some progress from the weekend:

Manual lock outs:
68ad6574.jpg

Front bumper is about finished:
bac0ba15.jpg

Roof rack is getting closer. I need to order some expanded metal. Does anyone have any suggestions for the exp metal? overall I need 4'x10' to cover it. There are supports every ~2'
d3f8e739.jpg

sean257

Adventurer
Thanks Andy.

Back bumper tacked up
3bb6681f.jpg

I ordered 3/4 No. 9 flattened expanded metal for the roof rack. Should be here tomorrow so I will see if it is sturdy enough.

sean257

Adventurer
Front bumper, rack and running boards are painted and back on. Waiting on winch, back bumper and ladder to be reinstalled, and all of the light wiring.

bb59b83d.jpg

azxc

I've been closely following your build and really like how stout you've build your sliders and bumpers. I'm envious of the rack you've fabed up and wanted to know if you had to add any supports to the inside to hold the weight of the rack plus any gear you put on it? Also do you have the specs on the rack build?
Again--sweet build up and I'm envious of your capabilities and access to a full fab shop.

AZXC

sean257

Adventurer
Thanks. He did not add any support to the roof, and it seems Ok. The rack has pretty big feet, and is trough bolted through the roof. He used 1x1x10ga tube steel for the roof rack, as well as some 1" plate that was burned on our plasma table for the transitions since we do not have a tube bender for square tube. In the corners of the roof rack he used 90 degree sections of ID/OD ring burned out of 10ga plate for the top and bottom of the "tube" and rolled 10ga for the sides. The deck is 3/4 No. 9 flattened expanded metal welded to the tube. The expanded metal is a little springy, so we'll just have to see how it holds up. Over all the rack is ~4' wide x 10' long, 11-1/2" tall in the front transitioning down to 6" The bottom frame of the rack has 4' wide cross bars every 2', and there are 2 bars splitting the width that run in the 10' direction.

Back bumper and ladder is on
31246f98.jpg

I wanted a fold down step since the bumper is pretty high:

dc11a95b.jpg

91802202.jpg

The fold down step is very solid and sturdy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles