Great New Camp Dinner

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
So, uh, Brad. What do you say we do another weekend and put you in charge of cooking?

Works for me. I enjoy it. :chowtime: The challenge is to jack it up to feed a crew...my little broiler would be working overtime. :shakin:

TeriAnn

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:
If the quality is good enough, having the broiler really opens up your cooking options.

My Dormobile cooker is 2 burner plus broiler. I use the broiler a lot and it opens my meals up to three cooked courses. I wouldn't like to go on a long trip without one.

One dinner I like to prepare weekly is a chicken and pasta dish. It requires 2 burners.

Ingredients:
- extra virgin olive oil
- about 5 or 6 garlic cloves, coarse chopped
- 4 fresh rosemary branch tips (each about 3 or 4 inches long)
- 1 large shallot or 2 medium, course chopped
- Some mini penne or just penne pasta
- 1 half chicken breast, cut into bight sized pieces
- 4 or 5 julian sliced pieces of dried tomato, course chopped
- medium portabello mushroom chopped to bite size pieces
- Whatever white wine you wish to have with dinner
(I like a dry Riesling with this meal)
- fresh wide leaf parsley medium fine chop
- aged Romano cheese

Serves 2

Everything except the pasta is cooked under a low heat relying upon sweating the ingredients together and not the higher heat of saute. If you can not adjust your stove to a very low heat, don't bother with this dish. I use a thick wall anodized aluminum pan to cook this meal. You will want to stir the ingredients frequently to get an even cook without burning.

Add the olive oil, rosemary and mushroom and let it simmer go get the rosemary flavour into the oil. When the mushrooms start to change colour from the cooking, add the shallot(s). When the edges of the shallots just start to turn translucent add the garlic and chicken. When the chicken is just browned add the dried tomato and enough wine to deglaze the pan.

There needs to be enough olive oil and wine to coat the pasta. If there is not quite enough, add more olive oil. Remove the rosemary branches.

When the chicken, shallots & garlic appear to be cooked, add the flat leaf parsley, stir in then add the cooked penne pasta. Toss or stir to coat the pasta.

Dish out then grate some aged Romano over the top. :chowtime: :chowtime:

I'm one of those people who need to hit civilization to restock supplies if I run out of fresh garlic, onions or mushrooms.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
:chowtime: :chowtime:

Man that sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for posting, I'll have to give that one a try soon. :wings:

TeriAnn

Explorer
One thing that always amazes me is how envious people tend to get when I have french toast for breakfast. As if it is a hard to cook special meal. I have it fairly frequently just because it is so easy and quick to fix.

Quick French toast for one:

1 - egg
1/4 to 1/3 cup or so of milk
some Cinnamon
optional vanilla
2 slices of bread
syrup

The trick is to mix everything in one of those little rectangular sandwich containers. They are the size of a slice of bread and have a flat bottom so there is no waste and you don't need extra liquid to soak the bread.

Add the egg, milk, cinnamon and optionally a small amount of vanilla, mix it together. Lay in a slice of bread. after a second or so turn it over then put it on the hot grill. Repeat for 2 slices of french toast. That will just about use up all your ingredients. I like to sprinkle a little extra Cinnamon on the uncooked side as it starts to cook. Some people like to sprinkle a little powdered sugar on it when it comes off the grill.

Tasty and faster than bacon & eggs, often with less cleanup. Cooking for 2? repeat the procedure. Fixing the ingredients is quick and you can have 4 slices in almost the same time as two.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Willman said:
Can you say Trophy!!!!!...I know you can!!!!

:chowtime:

You line up 50 people in front of that little broiler pan see how much of a taste you get.:shakin:

I'm sure I will cook up a few good dishes while at the Torphy event.....I guess who ever sneaks in first gets the taste. :chowtime:

Last edited:

Willman

Tucson T4R said:
You line up 50 people in front of that little broiler pan see how much of a taste you get.:shakin:

I'm sure I will cook up a few good dishes while at the Torphy event.....I guess who ever sneaks in first gets the taste. :chowtime:

Here Here......I make a killer dutch oven breakfast that will feed an army....I plan on cooking that at the trophy!!!

Might have to trade a few meals with ya!..(I'll take breakfast one morning and you take dinner.....)

:chowtime:

DonFromCanada

One thing that always amazes me is how envious people tend to get when I have french toast for breakfast. As if it is a hard to cook special meal. I have it fairly frequently just because it is so easy and quick to fix.

Quick French toast for one:

1 - egg
1/4 to 1/3 cup or so of milk
some Cinnamon
optional vanilla
2 slices of bread
syrup

The trick is to mix everything in one of those little rectangular sandwich containers. They are the size of a slice of bread and have a flat bottom so there is no waste and you don't need extra liquid to soak the bread.

Add the egg, milk, cinnamon and optionally a small amount of vanilla, mix it together. Lay in a slice of bread. after a second or so turn it over then put it on the hot grill. Repeat for 2 slices of french toast. That will just about use up all your ingredients. I like to sprinkle a little extra Cinnamon on the uncooked side as it starts to cook. Some people like to sprinkle a little powdered sugar on it when it comes off the grill.

Tasty and faster than bacon & eggs, often with less cleanup. Cooking for 2? repeat the procedure. Fixing the ingredients is quick and you can have 4 slices in almost the same time as two.

I always add a dash of nutmeg in there for good measure (Canadian Style!). And don't forget good, medium or dark syrup - no fake stuff or the cruddy 'light' stuff they sell as 100% maple syrup... it needs to be the darker stuff.

CJCA

Adventurer
I always add a dash of nutmeg in there for good measure (Canadian Style!). And don't forget good, medium or dark syrup - no fake stuff or the cruddy 'light' stuff they sell as 100% maple syrup... it needs to be the darker stuff.

Nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top sounds MMMMMMMMM good.

French Toast ala Alton Brown's recipe is heavenly.

I'll add a shot of vanilla extract to the recipe and like to use raisin bread, apple strudel bread or other sweet flavored specialty breads. Takes things to a whole new epicurian level of tasty breakfast delights! It just doesn't get any better! Naturally you'll have to improvise a bit at the cookwagon vs the home kitchen.

French Toast Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2003

Show: Good Eats
Episode: Toast Modern

1 cup half-and-half
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
4 tablespoons butter

In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.

Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior