Thread: Show me your awning on your taco

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
    ^this. Don't own a taco, but this is great advice.
    yes, it totally sucked having everything attached...we would go out for a dirt bike ride, and the girlfriend would be stuck at camp...I tell her "don't stay here, go drive around, go fishing, drive into town, or something..."

She would say "naaaaah, I don't want to rip everything down, just to set it up again..."

She does ride, but can't go on the super gnarly stuff I like...so she would be stuck at camp, most of the time...which sucks.

...and lets face it, most of us will never go on an "expedition", basically haul *** up the highway for a day or two...get to a destination stay there for 2 weeks....then go explore the area around that destination...I like riding single track, so most if not all of my trips are based around the dirt bikes. Hell, I am still finding new trails here at home around Tucson.

...an ez-up works great for us. I can get it set up as fast or faster as my Wildernest, which includes guying out an awning. And best of all, after it is set up, I drive away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve103 View Post
    That looks like huge pain in the rear-end...

Last edited by Clutch; 05-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.

ARB awning. $149 delivered to the door. Easy to set up and reasonably durable in the wind. I had one on my FJ60 and during a breezy weekend at Pismo Beach it stayed put while others where whipping around and scratching trucks.

^ That's how I mounted my ARB, I went with the 6.5ft awning though.

Quote Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
    Just dont forget about wind... attachment and wind-proofing are critical or awnings can thrash your truck in an instant.
    That's the problem with the EZ ups. I used to use one at the house for shade in nice weather, but I had to take it down when the winds would pick up. My wife parked under it when a Summer storm hit and it scratched the crap out of her new car when it crumpled.

Tacodoc,
    Can you move your awning easily from one side of the truck to the other? It looks like it slides into an attachment point.

Quote Originally Posted by austintaco View Post
    That's the problem with the EZ ups. I used to use one at the house for shade in nice weather, but I had to take it down when the winds would pick up. My wife parked under it when a Summer storm hit and it scratched the crap out of her new car when it crumpled.

Not true with the Eclipse II, buy the professional grade and there is no problem in the wind, if it guyed down properly.

We have it in monsoon storms in the Colorado high country...no problem at all.
    Last edited by Clutch; 05-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Tacodoc,
    Can you move your awning easily from one side of the truck to the other? It looks like it slides into an attachment point.
    No, it attaches with 2 bolts and slides into an aluminum extrusion that is attached via 5 ss rivets. Switching sides would be a PITA even with 2 extrusions.
    Member #203

Adventures in and out of your vehicle: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Not true with the Eclipse II, buy the professional grade and there is no problem in the wind, if it guyed down properly.

We have it in monsoon storms in the Colorado high country...no problem at all.
    That's good to know. I didn't know they made higher quality types. I have been to a few events when the wind picked up and watched several of the tents go down, but the events were for dog rescue groups, so most of the tents were the cheap kind like I had.
    In that case, an EZ up style can make good sense for the right application.

That's good to know. I didn't know they made higher quality types. I have been to a few events when the wind picked up and watched several of the tents go down, but the events were for dog rescue groups, so most of the tents were the cheap kind like I had.
    In that case, an EZ up style can make good sense for the right application.
    Yeah, the cheap ones will buckle for sure. The frames and fabric are much higher quality with the professional model. Like anything else, gotta spend money to get the good stuff, but you can find "wholesale" prices out there.

Paid around $450 for ours. IIRC...

http://www.ezup4u.com/

isn't there a truck awning that is around $500 anyway. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/awningfiamma.html Get so much more versatility with an EZ-UP for about the same price.

We use it at outside art shows as well, it has been through a couple storms without any harm, all the while protecting everything inside.

No offense guys but those little truck awnings are cute but you might as well go with a patio umbrella or large beach umbrella for less money. I would have to agree ezup is great they cost a little more then some other pop up shades but they last. You can get sides for them and if you have experience with any awning system you know to tie it down, tie it to your truck. This is the only pick I could find of my ez-up awning on the right. Just park your taco right next to it and you have an awning on your taco. Elk hunting in nov with temps about 4 degrees f in the morning, gotta love it.

Last edited by cam-shaft; 05-08-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    http://www.adventuretrailers.com/awningfiamma.html Get so much more versatility with an EZ-UP for about the same price.

We use it at outside art shows as well, it has been through a couple storms without any harm, all the while protecting everything inside.
    The fiamma looks interesting as I try to find something to mount off the back of my taco to cover the cooking area. The RTT provides a bit of a problem. I do like those mounting brackets in the video. Do these come with the product or??
    Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, The moment one commits, then Providence moves too. Things occur to help that no one could have dreamed would have come their way. Whatever you dream , begin it. Boldness has power, and magic in it. Begin it now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast