Oshkosh HMMWV suspension upgrade

REDROVER

Explorer
Wait till it its a gun mount, turret, turret wall... HMMWV's are tipsy as hell with all that ****. Many have flipped in iraq and afg with all that crap on top, and drivers that dont know how to really drive....

actuary humvee/H1 is one of the most stable 4x4s ever made for us army . over 7 ft wide and low, it is one of the only 4x4s in the world, it can make a sharp turn at 40 mph.

however if just the gun turret alone IS over 1500 lb, things change fast, but changing the humvee is another waist of our money, no truck regardless of the weight or shape can stand against IED. lets put it this way. mr. USA army WILL spend extra 250.000 on top of the humvees original 270.000. price, and all those towelheads have to do is add extra 5 lb of extra exploding material inside IED. and its all over again

ERIC

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
they are stable. the plan jane M998 (basic, non-armored HMMWV) only weighs about 5600lbs. the very basic uparmor one is 9000lbs.
then there is the full uparmor that can be up to 14000+ lbs
LAND_M1151_Frag_Kit_6_on_HMMWV_lg.jpg

then you get a turret on that like this one,
LAND_HMMWV_USAF_Chavis_Turret_lg.jpg

hmmwv_safety_01_700.jpg

ctb619

actuary humvee/H1 is one of the most stable 4x4s ever made for us army . over 7 ft wide and low, it is one of the only 4x4s in the world, it can make a sharp turn at 40 mph.

however if just the gun turret alone IS over 1500 lb, things change fast, but changing the humvee is another waist of our money, no truck regardless of the weight or shape can stand against IED. lets put it this way. mr. USA army WILL spend extra 250.000 on top of the humvees original 270.000. price, and all those towelheads have to do is add extra 5 lb of extra exploding material inside IED. and its all over again

ERIC

I'm glad you're not in charge of procurement.

Geared Hub

The Oskkosh kit will run $70-120,000+

It includes 2 TAK-4 axle kits, and those for firetrucks, and 7-tons/MATV's run about $15-20,000 per axle kit, plus another few grand for wheels and tires, there's a chassis upgrade and a inline 6-CAT engine.

Oshkosh's idea is to make a HMMWV compatible MATV chassis so the DOD can reuse HMMWV components and upgrades and then have parts compatibility with other Oshkosh trucks.

AM General has two pokers for a HMMWV replacement, one with General Dynamics for the GTV, and the other being the Bravo which is the literal "next gen" HMMWV.

http://amgeneralbrv-o.com/

It has AM Generals new monoblock inline 6 engine, new beefed up frame [based on 16,500 GVW HMMWV chassis] new suspesnion, new armored cab, more interior room, better A/C, and lower cost.

Despite what your favor of the week is for an armored vehicle, the price point will be a factor. You can't replace $50,000-200,000 HMMWV's with $250,000-750,000 MRAP's, different vehicles for different roles.

Remember the HMMWV was a carry over from the cold war days of the 70's and 80's where the thought was more likely that the HMMWV would be towing artillery, providing logistics support and taking the occasional pot shot at soviet tanks in the Fulda Gap :)

Geared Hub

And regarding the turret, I'd rather have a 4 man crew in a HMMWV and have one with a CROW control system, there shouldn't be a 5th guy up top.

Never ever.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
AM General has two pokers for a HMMWV replacement, one with General Dynamics for the GTV, and the other being the Bravo which is the literal "next gen" HMMWV.

http://amgeneralbrv-o.com/

It has AM Generals new monoblock inline 6 engine, ....You can't replace $50,000-200,000 HMMWV's with $250,000-750,000 MRAP's, different vehicles for different roles.

:)
Is that monoblock I6 the little Steyr motor? I know that one to be in use in a bunch of vehicles, but I would think I'd want a little more snort in a 14k# vehicle. Funny that I just got done with this one:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/02/...nt/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles