Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New shoes for a fat pig (DRW to SRW)

Murphy obviously knows ExPo is coming!

OK I am 95% sure that this is a Frankenstein axle. Numbers do not match Spicer BOM for anything. It appears like a Dana 60 from the bolt pattern and the part number on the cover. But the hubs are just not the same as the Ford stuff. The brakes are not the same as any ford I have ever worked on either. The issue is that distance between the inner race mounting points is about 10mm wider on this axle than the ford D60.

From the casting numbers on the hubs I get BUDD OH2O and 102762 WF 3. The only reference to that casting number I can find online is for a dodge 91/92 and that fits with the size of the wheel studs at 5/8 instead of the fords 9/16.

So an email has been sent to Quigley to see what they say. In the meantime I may just grab a set of wheelstuds, fit the wheels just to get the fender medal out of the way. It may come down to machining off the current wheel face and getting an adapter machined that uses the current rotor bolting flange as mounting/bolt area.

IMG0672-L.jpg

IMG0673-L.jpg

IMG0670-L.jpg
    Last edited by Ozrockrat; 05-06-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

Does anyone know an E rated 16 tire that is 34.5" diameter. That may be plan F. Just run the dually type front rim until I get it all sorted.

1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

He doesn't mention your part number but it looks a lot like your axle. the last post talks about machining.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881159

Also mentions a dana 60 bible, maybe that will help, if you haven't looked at one
    Neil

Just from looking at your pics I want to say Dodge axle. I have seen more than one Dana 60 in my career. Now Dodge did use a Dana 61 front axle in their first gen Cummins trucks so they could run the higher axle gears so the Cummins would be in a good RPM range. Hmm wonder if perhaps Quigly put one in.

Unlike the newer SD axles where you could just unbolt the dually adaptor you have to change the whole hub on to a SRW on the older axles. I like what that one guy did on pirate to his hubs, that would probably be your cheapest solution. Any good machine shop could do that in their sleep. I could actually do it with an Ammco brake lathe and some time and I am not a machinest. Nice build too.

Good pickup guys. That machining was exactly what I was thinking about. The only difference I had was still bolting the rotor on from behind but running the bolts through and having a face plate/adapter on the outside. It would increase the track width by an inch or so but provide a much better clamping surface.

Image pirated from pirate!

2000 BMW K1200LT
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

So the studs would go through the rotor, hub and then your plate? If so then yes, I think that would be a great setup.

The more I look at your axle pics the more I want to say its a Dodge product. I know for a fact that I have done brakes on more than one first gen Dodge cummins SRW versions and have seen that "Budd" casting on the hubs. I wonder if perhaps Quiqley didn't do a little mix and match either. Perhaps they had it built with parts from Dodge or Chevy from the spindles out. It would be nice for you to know for future reference, like ordering parts. What side is the front diff on?

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
    So the studs would go through the rotor, hub and then your plate? If so then yes, I think that would be a great setup.
    That would be the general idea. The plate would actually be an adapter so that the 9/16 coarse thread bolts that hold the rotor to the hub would hold the adapter plate in place. Then there would be another set of wheel studs (9/16 fine to match the ford) in a separate set of holes recessed.

Just getting the SRW dodge hubs with 1/2 stud holes and getting it drilled to suit the 9/16 studs is my first preference at the moment. Off to NAPA warehouse shortly to see how I go.

2000 BMW K1200LT
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

The SRW Dodge hubs would be my first choice too. K.I.S.S. is very nice when you are a long ways from home.

It's a kingpin Ford axle for sure, but who knows what Quigley did to modify it. It's most likely an 86-91 housing, but I know that Q gets axles directly from Spicer so it may be something specific to them. Hopefully they can tell you more.

A guy came by the shop last week with an 02 V10 SMB Q suspension and it had a kingpin axle too. Quigley usually stays with whatever axle the trucks are running the same year, but this one threw me for a loop. I always verify with photos before someone goes to my kit.
    Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    11 E350 5.4 V5
    99 E36 M3
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast