1959 F100 4x4 Frankentruck

Nick02

Since my Dakota is too ugly/impractical/expensive/hassle to drive on the street I decided that I need a new truck to do truck things with, like tow stuff (dakota, horse trailer) but it had to be cool. My current daily driver, a 1998 montero with 200K is on it's last leg too so I need something that can tote my butt around. I also need something reliable and nice for less hardcore then the dakota for overland trips.

This truck should combine all my passions into one bundle, 4x4 stuff, restoration and vintage cool machines. I've been looking a for this body style/grille ford from four years ago when I pulled the transfer-case out of one similar in order to do a 4wd conversion on my dakota, and my girlfriend has wanted one too, so it will be "hers" until my DD blows up.

Anyways, I hunted for years and found this nice 1959 f100 franken truck.

I found the truck on craigslist and checked it out, and was amazed that the thing had a frame off and all the sheetmetal was like brand new, undented chrome grille…. I had to have it! Soo I took it home and paid too much, but it has a nice title and is all "there".
The truck was being restored with a kid and his dad from a mid 90's restoration, but the kids dad died and he couldn't work on it, so it sat.

This franken truck was originally a 2wd 59 with a 60 grille and other things.
Underneath is a Closed knuckle HD44 with some weird lockouts, a D60 in the rear, a dana24 divorced transfercase, and a Clarke two ton 5 speed transmission out of an f500-f600 platform; kinda retro cool!

It has a 292V8 Y block, way oldschool. My buddy and I got it to run but will never have the power/reliability for what I want.

Plans are
-Replace the 292 Y with a modern 460CI 7.5L big block out of a 1994 F250.
-Replace the vintage dana 44 with the current one in my Dakota, gain disks, HP, better turning radius... etc
-Fix the steering, find a original steering wheel.
-Lower it back to stock, some tall skinny tires would be nice 32-33" tall.

here it is the day I got it home
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

cool lockouts, anyone know what they are out of?
scaled.php

scaled.php

clarke 5 speed
scaled.php

Interesting slider shackle design.
scaled.php

dana 24
scaled.php

I now own 4 dana 24's!
scaled.php

after a nice cleaning the interior looks sweet.
img0037wk.jpg

and the engine runs!
scaled.php

Last edited:

Nick02

The potential donor truck a 1994 Ford f250, My Father bought it from the city and used it for his business until an accident when someone wasn't paying attention and made a left turn in front of him. It was meticulously maintained and most components on it are new, including the rebuilt E40D with ~1700miles or so on it (although I want to replace it with a zf5).

scaled.php

the donor
scaled.php

The nice running fuel injected 460!
scaled.php

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice truck, its good to another vintage truck here. I am partial to old Fords as I still have my dads 67 F250 he bought in 1972 right before I was born.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had a really sweet '69 F100 that I wanted to swap onto a 12 valve drive train and chasis. I got rid of my acreage, shop and thus place to do it. This has the same flavor! I will follow this thread closely. Having seen your level of skill and detail on the 'Kota, I expect this thing to make me seriously jealous!!!

Revco

Adventurer
I'll take that Y-Block if you don't want it. :)

I love early Fords. I'm a hot rodder and have built a ton of Model T's and Model A's, as well as several F1's and F100's. I've always wanted a 57-66 Ford 4x4, 55-66 Chevy 4x4, or 58-66 Dodge 4x4. I found a running/driving '60 F-250 4x4 with a 223/3spd for $1500 last year, but was neck deep in projects and didn't have any room for it. I also found a '66 Dodge W300 4x4 with a V8 and Western Hauler style bed, but it sold before I could scrounge up the cash.

Those early Napco's and Marmon-Herrington 4x4 trucks flat out rule. One of these days I'll do something similar...late model powerplant/suspension under a late 50's/early 60's body.

Keep on truckin!

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sweet find! I like the roller spring mounts.
255-85-16 tires on steelies, chrome trim rings and dog dish FORD hub caps.
Can't wait to see the progress. Lovin the Old School look!

Nick02

I've been hoarding and found some orignal knob benzels, drivers glass, hydroboost from an astro van, windsheild and cowl trim, Repo steering wheel/column, and a spare 292Y block with accessories I couldn't pass up for $150.

Wanted to get the old 292 Yblock running to see if I would like it, and procrastinate the 460 swap till it's cooler outside and I have the time/funds to do it right.
so onto some bad news
I got the engine running, but it ran badly so I put pertronix on there, new plugs, wires, set timing etc.. but it still ran bad
so I ran a compression test and 5 out of the 8 cylenders had compression:'(
pulled the valve covers and found some bent pushrods and some missing.
scaled.php

Found the missing ones inside, but some already seriously bent one's too.
scaled.php

I find it amazing this engine ran

Some brand new pushrods and I found two stuck intake valves. Some MMO and a soft hammer freed them up; all the valves are closing/opening now, valve lash was stupid tight so some valves were open so I readjusted them to .019, and now all cyls have compression! good to go! she runs good and starts easy just tuning stuff now!

scaled.php

I flipped the shackles over in the rear in order to return them to their natural position.
scaled.php

235/85/16 tires, cant beat the price of free! came off the 1994!
img0117in.jpg

Next step is to take the body lift off and install steering. The steering gear I got off craigslist(boo!) had a shot worm gear so I decided to to with the toyota PS conversion. I found a push pull toyota box in the junkyard, going to go pull it today!
scaled.php

Revco

Adventurer
Killer. Those Y-Blocks will flat out run. I've got tons of vintage speed parts for them, but I'm a parts hoarder, so they aren't for sale. If you haven't already found him, John Mummert sells Y-Block speed parts at www.ford-y-block.com, lots of goodies there. Keep up the progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne