RTT Mounting: which Direction?

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am getting ready to mount my RTT on my Gobi rack and wondered which direction you preferred mounting the tent and why?

I am leaning towards mounting it so it opens over the rear hatch. i have an ARB awning mounted on the driver's side, but will move it to the passenger if I mount the tent to open to the rear.

Errant

Explorer
Not on a Jeep, but I have mine opening over the rear of my Disco, with an annex room below. This works out well for me, as I can leave the rear door open into the annex and be able to easily access the inside of the Disco where I can keep clothes, ice chest, etc. When the doggies are with me, they have easy access to their beds in back, as well :)

JKJenn

Adventurer
Not on a Jeep, but I have mine opening over the rear of my Disco, with an annex room below. This works out well for me, as I can leave the rear door open into the annex and be able to easily access the inside of the Disco where I can keep clothes, ice chest, etc. When the doggies are with me, they have easy access to their beds in back, as well :)

Thanks - i just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I actually inquired about the annex for my tent this AM (ARB Pilbara) to see where i can order it in the US.

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
I have the JKUR with a Gobi and considered having my RTT open towards the rear. The ladder interferred with the swing of the tailgate. I went with the driver side.

Someone posted somewhere about parking at campground sites and having your RTT open to the passenger side is ideal. I have not run into that problem yet.

Good luck.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I have the JKUR with a Gobi and considered having my RTT open towards the rear. The ladder interferred with the swing of the tailgate. I went with the driver side.

Someone posted somewhere about parking at campground sites and having your RTT open to the passenger side is ideal. I have not run into that problem yet.

Good luck.

Thanks. I mounted it tonight. We didn't cut the rails off as per the directions for mounting off of the rear, so I can switch it. I was surprised that I need the ladder extension wit. I willh only a 2.5" lift. I didn't try the gate, just the hatch. I will have the give that a try.

Vince1

Adventurer
Good question. I struggled with this, trying several orientations with my Gobi rack and ARB RTT on my JKU. I ended up with the ladder (and annex) on the passenger side. I didn't like the rear orientation because I found I needed frequent access to my rear compartment for my dog. I also frequently tow a trailer with my gear and leave it attached at night so would interfere with rear ladder. I have an awning, and mount it on the drivers side. Has worked out well for me in a variety of different situations.

Attachments

• front2.JPG
    front2.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 21

JKJenn

Adventurer
Good question. I struggled with this, trying several orientations with my Gobi rack and ARB RTT on my JKU. I ended up with the ladder (and annex) on the passenger side. I didn't like the rear orientation because I found I needed frequent access to my rear compartment for my dog. I also frequently tow a trailer with my gear and leave it attached at night so would interfere with rear ladder. I have an awning, and mount it on the drivers side. Has worked out well for me in a variety of different situations.

Sweet set-up. Did you need the ladder extension?

I am thinking I will likely end up with the set-up you have there. It seems like the tent does not lay flat when I unfold it because of the rear bar on the roof rack.

BTW, which lights are you running on your Gobi?

Vince1

Adventurer
Sweet set-up. Did you need the ladder extension?

I am thinking I will likely end up with the set-up you have there. It seems like the tent does not lay flat when I unfold it because of the rear bar on the roof rack.

BTW, which lights are you running on your Gobi?

When I was running a 2" lift, I did not need the extension, I just drilled to make new ladder stops. With the 3.5" AEV lift I'm currently running, I do need the extension.
I'm running four 6" VisionX Xmitter Prime LED light bars on the front and two 4" Rigid LED bars on the back of the Gobi.

JKJenn

Adventurer
When I was running a 2" lift, I did not need the extension, I just drilled to make new ladder stops. With the 3.5" AEV lift I'm currently running, I do need the extension.
I'm running four 6" VisionX Xmitter Prime LED light bars on the front and two 4" Rigid LED bars on the back of the Gobi.

Thanks - Probably will get the extension. there is a big enough gap if I drill new holes to make it difficult for my shorter friends to use the ladder.

Gave it a try mounted off of the rear and you are right about the gate swing - I will likely switch it to the passenger side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier