Airbags or Timbrens

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I've had Firestone airbags on my 06 dodge 2500 ctd for abit over three years, and recently one has developed a decent leak so I need to replace them. I haul a camper in the bed 70% of the time that weighs around 2400lbs. The airbags at about 70-80lbs did great work of leveling it out.

The truck has Thuren coils, bilstein 5160s, carli trackbar, extended swaybar links, hellwig extra-fat rear sway-bar.

Ive long admired the carli airbags and thought they would be my next upgrade, but now I find myself considering the simpler and cheaper Timbrens.

Can anyone comment on the performance comparison between the two?

Thanks
-Chris

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Do you want your truck to stay at the same height it is now when you put the camper in? Or can you afford to have it drop an inch or two once you load the camper and it rides on the Timbrens? They are simpler but will not give you the adjustability that airbags give you. Also if you drive around unloaded and slam off the bumps alot you are going to not enjoy the Timbrens because they are pretty stiff. I talked to the Timbren guys at SEMA this year about a scenario pretty similar with my truck and I came to the conclusion that they were not the best choice for it.

-Alex

mobilguy66

I like my Timbrens!

Hi Chris, I have a 2009 30' Host Motorcoach 4x4 built on an F550 chassis. I also have aftermarket sway bars and bilstiens ect and then opted for the timbrens. I really like them and have put 10k over the road miles on them so far. I have also driven a 33' Host with airbags and dispite the extra rear over hang (3'), I think mine rides just as nice. I do not off road with the Host. My mechanic convinced me to get them and he sells and installs quite a few of them. Like Alex said, If you found yourself in the past adjusting the airbags all the time, you might want to stick with them. Mine rides nice as it is loaded all the time. Good Luck, Paul

chris_the_wrench

I would be ok with the trucks rear end sagging a inch or two when the camper is loaded, but I do like to "get after it" down some dirt roads when its empty.

-Chris

KSJeep

Explorer
I believe the Firestone airbags have a lifetime warrenty, have you thought about just replacing them??

BillTex

Adventurer
Do you want your truck to stay at the same height it is now when you put the camper in? Or can you afford to have it drop an inch or two once you load the camper and it rides on the Timbrens? They are simpler but will not give you the adjustability that airbags give you. Also if you drive around unloaded and slam off the bumps alot you are going to not enjoy the Timbrens because they are pretty stiff. I talked to the Timbren guys at SEMA this year about a scenario pretty similar with my truck and I came to the conclusion that they were not the best choice for it.

-Alex
Agree...airbags give you adjustability.
Are you sure the bags were leaking or was it in the plumbing?
When I first installed mine there was a slow leak...a little soap/water revealed one of the push-lock fitting on a hose was leaking.
Reseated it...has been fine for 5 yrs.
I like the airbags as our TC is heavier on one side...

Bill

chris_the_wrench

Im sure the bag is leaking I sprayed the whole system with soap water and found the tear near the bottom of the bag.

I just realized an hour ago about their warranty, and I bought them locally from a shop I do a fair amount of business with. I plan on pulling it tonight and taking it in tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Regardless of what happens with the warranty, I think Im going to stick with airbags. The stiffer ride quality of the timbrens wouldn't be worth the trade-off for me.

-Chris

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Seems like you are on the right track. I just put Firestones in my F350 and they are great with the camper. But then you already know that:)

Halligan

Adventurer
With Timbrens you lose articulation on the rear suspension when unloaded. At least airbags flex when aired down.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
With Timbrens you lose articulation on the rear suspension when unloaded. At least airbags flex when aired down.

The FS and AL airbags eliiminate a ton of your down travel and flex. A good thing when towing/hauling, less roll. But they stink for light or unloaded expo travel. Good thing that they are easy to remove/install quickly. I plan on just removing mine when I'm not involved with heavy loads.

Halligan

Adventurer
The FS and AL airbags eliiminate a ton of your down travel and flex. A good thing when towing/hauling, less roll. But they stink for light or unloaded expo travel. Good thing that they are easy to remove/install quickly. I plan on just removing mine when I'm not involved with heavy loads.

I stand corrected on the cheaper airbags. However, for those who want the best of both worlds, the air bags by Carli are supposed to be very flexible with mucho travel.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The FS and AL airbags eliiminate a ton of your down travel and flex. A good thing when towing/hauling, less roll. But they stink for light or unloaded expo travel. snip.......

I have not had a chance to test my recently installed air springs on my Tundra off-highway with minimum psi/load. The truck has (had?) decent rear axle articulation stock, but looking at the air springs connected to the frame and leaf springs, I was thinking there is no way they can't limit travel and articulation unless they were to pull apart.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I've been using AirLift AirCells (like Timbrens) on my truck for a few years now. They are great hauling a heavy load, or pulling a trailer. On road, with an empty bed, they are almost unnoticeable. A large bump at speed will get you a bounce off of them, but it's not enough cause an issue while driving....you just feel it in the seat of your pants. Offroad they have not been an issue, there is some loss of compression (wheel stuffing in the well), but all the droop is still there.

I would think, that unless the airbag is longer than your droop, it would limit your articulation somewhat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles