Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

jham

Adventurer
Sick. Looks really good, and like it is going to be right at home up there around Gulu.

I just want a car here with keyless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clutch

<---Pass
Again, not really concerned since the Dodge grille (or the Dodge brand generally) doesn't really exist outside the U.S.

And, with the final grille design we have planned, there won't be any doubt it's a Toyota. Just wait and see... :)

So it is going to look like an 80 then? I know this is all personal opinion and all, I just never been a fan of rectangular head lights.
They just don't seem very "retro" to me, never was a fan of the 80 series styling...but that is just me, different strokes for different folks....:)

six_450.jpg

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Again, not really concerned since the Dodge grille (or the Dodge brand generally) doesn't really exist outside the U.S.

And, with the final grille design we have planned, there won't be any doubt it's a Toyota. Just wait and see... :)

I am excited to see what it turns in to. I have no doubt that it will be very nice and unique. It definetly looks goofy at this stage of the build, but there is lots more to come. Keep the updates coming.

pnorvell

Adventurer
This thing gonna be a killa! I like it! Also, you can go ahead and ship me that tailgate you just spent all that time on. It would save me a lot of time having to do it myself...

Clutch

<---Pass
This thing gonna be a killa! I like it! Also, you can go ahead and ship me that tailgate you just spent all that time on. It would save me a lot of time having to do it myself...

There is an early 80's 2WD truck sitting a stone throw away from my work. Drive past it almost every day...

I am diggin Container's tailgate mod, the headlights not so much...but hey...

ywen

Explorer
looking forward to the final front-end.. assume you guys have developed concept sketches? care to share those? Or you looking to keep the final look as a surprise?

For how much work going into it, I doubt it'll be a direct LC80 front-end transplant.. like this Lincoln Navigator to F150 transplant

3898990429_a4c8f60d02_z.jpg

Containerized

Adventurer
Definitely not a "transplanted" front end... all little tweaks to the sheetmetal. Shut line between the quarter panels and the hood is different from stock, front fenders will be brought back and squared a bit to make sure there is no potential for rubbing, even with full compression. I think the front end will be cool and old-school without imitating any one model year.

Concept is something retro-looking, but not to copy any particular Toyota model. :)

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you have your plan set. It's obvious you're into cars and have had some nice ones, so I"ll be watching with anticipation to see how it turns out.

I enjoyed your first thread and pictures and remember when you mentioned that you were going in the direction of a Tacoma.

Containerized

Adventurer
I guess this will be a somewhat philosophical post.

There will always be critics... and I, too, am a critic. It's part of the process, and hopefully someone takes a little of this build or a little of that build, and maybe even a little of something I've done, and integrates it into something in the future. It's all an evolution, and everything is a mix or a compromise. In the end, you're the one driving it and you're the one that has to deal with the result... so build what you like. If others like it, or have nice things to say, great. If others raise issues or concerns, often they're valid - think about it and, if you agree, put it into the next project.

I view this truck as just "version two." I actually like what Toyota tried to do with the FJC. I don't think they went far enough (I would have made something much more FJ40-like), but they made compromises. We'd all make different compromises. When I modified the FJC to spend two years in East Africa, I made choices I wouldn't have made for a vehicle staying in the U.S., or a vehicle spending the same period of time in Russia.

If you have a reason for what you do, and you can be honest with yourself (don't "believe your own spin") about what you did right and what you did wrong, you'll get better at what you're doing. I spent years in Porsche denial, watching air-cooled 911's (including the one in my garage) continue to improve. It wasn't until I finally bit the bullet and bought a 997 GT3 that I was willing to admit I'd been wrong and that the newer, water-cooled cars really are better in essentially every way. It's easy to get hung up on what you know, addicted to the familiar. But I'm always up for trying something new, and this project is one of those experiments.

We're all immensely lucky here; we have the time and resources to explore. We can play around with our vehicles, buy some cool gear, go a little further than last year... but it's all exploration (or preparation for it). To me, this truck is a tool, but it's also an opportunity to play around with some aesthetic ideas that have been swimming around in my head for too long for me to not do anything about it. Some will like it, some won't. But the plan has been made... now, all I can do is to execute on the plan as best as I know how.

Clutch

<---Pass
I sure do I agree with you on the FJ...Toyota should of listened to Jonathan Ward. Seems like Jeep is having quite a success with their Wrangler...beyond me why Toyota hasn't gone a similar route with the FJ. About the only thing that is good on it, is that it has round headlights. :ylsmoke:

Yeah can't please everyone, since we are all so different. It is your vision, don't let dorks like myself rain on your parade. I know have done some wacky things during my life and regretted it, also have done some wacky things and have been quite pleased with the results. Some guys will love what you are doing, and others will think hey there is another guy with too much money and not enough taste...

Last edited:
Shhhhhh...don't tell my compadres over on the full size forum that I'm lurking. Very interesting mod...looking forward to your progress. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles