Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

fun fun fun.

I can't wait to see what all you have planned for this truck. Awesome build so far!
    Front/rear steel bumper for FJ $750
    Front bumper for 1st gen Tacoma/3rd gen 4runner $750
    PM for more info

07 FJ OME,custom front/rear bumpers, PRG snorkel, 255/85 KM2, Anthracite trd fj wheels

Need more pictures!!
    Jared
    2005 Toyota Tundra
    M416

"It is not the place of outsiders to make one-size-fits-all mandates to a world of different shapes and proportions. In doing so, they create an atmosphere where pebbles are polished and diamonds dimmed."

Peter (pnorvell) - If you're serious about the tailgate, I'd get on that ASAP. The number of those parts available is small and shrinking. I had the good fortune of finding someone selling a rust-free Hilux tailgate from the late 1970's for about $70, but those deals are hard to find... if you find the part you want, snap it up. That's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Containerized View Post
    Peter (pnorvell) - If you're serious about the tailgate, I'd get on that ASAP. The number of those parts available is small and shrinking. I had the good fortune of finding someone selling a rust-free Hilux tailgate from the late 1970's for about $70, but those deals are hard to find... if you find the part you want, snap it up. That's my advice.
    ...or simply get some vinyl lettering made in the same font, hell of a lot easier to install...a little trick is to get two sets one in a darker than the other...like a grey or even black...place that one down first..then place a lighter color on top slightly off to the left and up, for a little drop shadow effect.

Or do a wrap style decal, then they can do the drop shadow effect on one piece of vinyl. Should run you around $30-40.

Just did these real quick.

Top one is a drop shadow, the bottom two are 3D effects...so you can get the "look" of the vintage tailgate, without any fab work.

I don't know what the vintage 70's Hi-Lux Toyota font is off-hand, this looks kinda close...

toyota logo.jpg

I dunno, I think this is all it needed for a "retro" looking headlights...

HL-TOYTAC05-KS-EURO-FB.jpg

Toss on some retro decals...done!

Last edited by Clutch; 05-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Containerized, when are you bringing that thing over? I live in Jinja and am starting to consider shipping a vehicle over vs buying here. Are you in Uganda now or coming back soon? We need to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Containerized View Post
    I have a friend that may potentially dovetail the rear of his so I have a tailgate just waiting to see if I can pull it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    ...or simply get some vinyl lettering made in the same font, hell of a lot easier to install...a little trick is to get two sets one in a darker than the other...like a grey or even black...place that one down first..then place a lighter color on top slightly off to the left and up, for a little drop shadow effect.
    Or do a wrap style decal, then they can do the drop shadow effect on one piece of vinyl. Should run you around $30-40.
    Just did these real quick.
    Top one is a drop shadow, the bottom two are 3D effects...so you can get the "look" of the vintage tailgate, without any fab work.
    I don't know what the vintage 70's Hi-Lux Toyota font is off-hand, this looks kinda close...
    I dunno, I think this is all it needed for a "retro" looking headlights...
    Toss on some retro decals...done!
    Very true. This thought has crossed my mind as a short term fix while I work on the other for a long term project.

Great info though!
    (Sold) 03 DII: 2" Rovertym springs, 2" OME shocks, 255/85/16 BFG MT's, Safety Devices Roof Rack w/ lights, etc. etc...

2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pnorvell View Post
    I have a friend that may potentially dovetail the rear of his so I have a tailgate just waiting to see if I can pull it off!

Very true. This thought has crossed my mind as a short term fix while I work on the other for a long term project.

Great info though!
    You can do a lot for effect with just using decals (or paint)

Any sign company can make those, I have good place here in Tucson that will do "mimic" reproductions of the originals.

Here is link of the graphics for various years: http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/toyota.htm

Those retro decals I pictured above, but using grey tones would be pretty hot on a white truck.

1979_Toyota_4x4_Short_Bed_Pickup_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

Could use the newer Toyota logo font as well, since was on the early 80's Hiluxes.

1979_Toyota_4x4_Short_Bed_Pickup_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg
    Last edited by Clutch; 05-05-2012 at 10:23 PM.

even though im a Rover guy.......

sub'ed !
    1997 Defender 110 300TDI

jhan - You're in Jinja? I have a house between Gulu and Kitgum. Would you be interested in a modded 2007 FJC? I have one that I'd happily sell at a very reasonable price to a fellow Expo member. Would save you the cost and import taxes to Mombasa, and it's a great truck with suspension, steel bumpers, winch, 110v inverter, Garmin mount, XMITTERS, etc. already done. Recent full service. Send me a message; the FJC is on UAQ plates and the taxes are already paid. As I'm moving to a different site, I'm pretty sure I can sell the FJC to you for SUBSTANTIALLY less than it would cost you to get a Hilux, FJC, or Taco into the country.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast