Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

Containerized

Adventurer
Kermit - I agree, the 70 Series would be the obvious assembly to use if I want the early 80's look, but the old 70 wagon (sold as the Prado TX in Africa) is just about the most common vehicle I see in most of the places I am. In fact, if you put together the TX 70 Series LC's I see along with the 70 Pickups, that's a huge % of the trucks on the road. So I decided to stay away from the 70 Series parts. I know it's a high-risk decision from a styling standpoint, but I think it'll recall the rectangular headlamps of the MkI 4R and other trucks. We'll see... I could be wrong, I could be right, I've spent plenty of time in African airport lounges sketching various options and eventually I just had to place my bet on one of them.

I even bought a set of these lamps, but they just look too damn small on a modern Taco front end:

1st_Toyota_4Runner_--_01-07-2012.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit - I agree, the 70 Series would be the obvious assembly to use if I want the early 80's look, but the old 70 wagon (sold as the Prado TX in Africa) is just about the most common vehicle I see in most of the places I am. In fact, if you put together the TX 70 Series LC's I see along with the 70 Pickups, that's a huge % of the trucks on the road. So I decided to stay away from the 70 Series parts. I know it's a high-risk decision from a styling standpoint, but I think it'll recall the rectangular headlamps of the MkI 4R and other trucks. We'll see... I could be wrong, I could be right, I've spent plenty of time in African airport lounges sketching various options and eventually I just had to place my bet on one of them.

I even bought a set of these lamps, but they just look too damn small on a modern Taco front end:

Sounds like you thought it through and through...

Yeah the older rectangular model would of looked goofy.

Containerized

Adventurer
Haven - Interesting kit. For a more crawler-oriented truck, that sounds great... but most of my truck's life will be driving on unpaved roads rather than rock crawling.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Haven, that truck is pretty awesome. would make a great expedition truck because not all roads in the world are flat even if they are not "crawler" roads...

pnorvell

Adventurer
I really, really like where you're going with this truck. I have wanted to do the same with my truck, try and find a medium between old and new. I'm interested to see how you mount the spare tire as that is my project. And I'm incredibly jealous you have the means to graft the tailgate!! I don't have the know how to make it happen, yet!

Really stoked for this build!!

Sincerely,

Peter

Containerized

Adventurer
Peter (pnorvell) - If you're serious about the tailgate, I'd get on that ASAP. The number of those parts available is small and shrinking. I had the good fortune of finding someone selling a rust-free Hilux tailgate from the late 1970's for about $70, but those deals are hard to find... if you find the part you want, snap it up. That's my advice.

Clutch

<---Pass
Peter (pnorvell) - If you're serious about the tailgate, I'd get on that ASAP. The number of those parts available is small and shrinking. I had the good fortune of finding someone selling a rust-free Hilux tailgate from the late 1970's for about $70, but those deals are hard to find... if you find the part you want, snap it up. That's my advice.

...or simply get some vinyl lettering made in the same font, hell of a lot easier to install...a little trick is to get two sets one in a darker than the other...like a grey or even black...place that one down first..then place a lighter color on top slightly off to the left and up, for a little drop shadow effect.

Or do a wrap style decal, then they can do the drop shadow effect on one piece of vinyl. Should run you around $30-40.

Just did these real quick.

Top one is a drop shadow, the bottom two are 3D effects...so you can get the "look" of the vintage tailgate, without any fab work.

I don't know what the vintage 70's Hi-Lux Toyota font is off-hand, this looks kinda close...

toyota logo.jpg

I dunno, I think this is all it needed for a "retro" looking headlights...:ylsmoke:

HL-TOYTAC05-KS-EURO-FB.jpg

Toss on some retro decals...done! :elkgrin:

retrostickers003.jpg

Last edited:

jham

Adventurer
Containerized, when are you bringing that thing over? I live in Jinja and am starting to consider shipping a vehicle over vs buying here. Are you in Uganda now or coming back soon? We need to connect.

pnorvell

Adventurer

I have a friend that may potentially dovetail the rear of his so I have a tailgate just waiting to see if I can pull it off!

...or simply get some vinyl lettering made in the same font, hell of a lot easier to install...a little trick is to get two sets one in a darker than the other...like a grey or even black...place that one down first..then place a lighter color on top slightly off to the left and up, for a little drop shadow effect.
Or do a wrap style decal, then they can do the drop shadow effect on one piece of vinyl. Should run you around $30-40.
Just did these real quick.
Top one is a drop shadow, the bottom two are 3D effects...so you can get the "look" of the vintage tailgate, without any fab work.
I don't know what the vintage 70's Hi-Lux Toyota font is off-hand, this looks kinda close...
I dunno, I think this is all it needed for a "retro" looking headlights...:ylsmoke:
Toss on some retro decals...done! :elkgrin:
Very true. This thought has crossed my mind as a short term fix while I work on the other for a long term project.

Great info though!

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a friend that may potentially dovetail the rear of his so I have a tailgate just waiting to see if I can pull it off!

Very true. This thought has crossed my mind as a short term fix while I work on the other for a long term project.

Great info though!

You can do a lot for effect with just using decals (or paint)

Any sign company can make those, I have good place here in Tucson that will do "mimic" reproductions of the originals.

Here is link of the graphics for various years: http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/toyota.htm

Those retro decals I pictured above, but using grey tones would be pretty hot on a white truck.

1979_Toyota_4x4_Short_Bed_Pickup_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

Could use the newer Toyota logo font as well, since was on the early 80's Hiluxes.

1979_Toyota_4x4_Short_Bed_Pickup_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

Last edited:

Containerized

Adventurer
jhan - You're in Jinja? I have a house between Gulu and Kitgum. Would you be interested in a modded 2007 FJC? I have one that I'd happily sell at a very reasonable price to a fellow Expo member. Would save you the cost and import taxes to Mombasa, and it's a great truck with suspension, steel bumpers, winch, 110v inverter, Garmin mount, XMITTERS, etc. already done. Recent full service. Send me a message; the FJC is on UAQ plates and the taxes are already paid. As I'm moving to a different site, I'm pretty sure I can sell the FJC to you for SUBSTANTIALLY less than it would cost you to get a Hilux, FJC, or Taco into the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles