need 2nd battery tray. What is needed and where do you get it?

jjosu

Observer
LMC has them, around $60.

Local salvages have told me any they might have had are/were rusted out.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
That actually should be pretty easy because some GM trucks of that vintage came with dual batteries. I did a dual battery conversion on my 86 Chevy Crewcab dually 4x4 that I used to own. I bought the tray and bracket that goes under the tray from the local chevy dealer. Then I had to drill some holes in the inner fender to bolt the tray and bracket too. The nice thing was that the inner fender already had little dimples where I had to drill the holes. No measuring, marking and center punching, just drill where the dimples were. They were kind of hard to see but I saw a couple of them when I was holding the bracket up and once I cleaned the crud off a little there they were. You might find something in the junkyard but I wouldn't count on it, most of the battery trays are pretty rusty. I forgot, the second battery goes in the same spot as the stock battery expect its on the drivers side. And I made my own battery cables using 2/0 welding cable hooking two blue top Optimas together, I was using it to jump start 24 volt heavy equipment at the time. I had it setup to where I could keep the truck running and charging one battery with 12 volts and very quickly hook both batteries in series to make 24 volts.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Trays and rust

I have dual batteries in all my vehicles and like the acid mats sold by LMC to go under batteries, wet lead acid batteries are always the reason for tray rust. Sealing in 2 component type urethane keeps em rust free too however, the acid drips so whatever is below tray can become the rusted part if not cleaned or prepped with something to prevent the rust.

Way cool way to go "Dual batteries".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles