Another Hummer Trailer Build

Fresno

Adventurer
Not really. These trailers are larger than a full size pick up truck bed. When you factor the time masking and pluging every tie down point, Im surprised it was not more. Full coverage at 1/4" ran $450.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The trailer looks geat, are you going to paint the tie downs black to blend in?
Not bad on the price for 1/4" coverage, covered the carc paint good.
What are the four body colors eachguy is going with?

Fresno

Adventurer
Tie downs: I think we will paint them, maybe POR. My preference would be power coat but that would removal which will require re riviting and may cause interference.

Colors: Black, White, Silver and Forest Green.

Here is what we plan on, in order of importance.

1. a real BED
2. FUEL CANS
3. WATER CONTAINER
4. SHOVEL, AXE AND JACK
5. SPARE TIRE
6. COOK (Chuck) BOX, STOVE, BBQ
7. CHAIRS
8. TRUCK VAULT

Fresno

Adventurer
This little problem solver will save hours. This adapter uses the military plug to hook into a standard 7 pin plug.
d5cc97ad.jpg

I found it on SteelSoildiers.com. Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus, email: milgenrepr@aol.com

Fresno

Adventurer
The conversion from 24v to 12v is progressing smoothly. The existing were covered with a couple of coated of CARC. The new tail lights, marker and reflectors are on the left.

5b112121.jpg

This weekend the bead blasting and undercoating begins.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That CARC is tough stuff I have sand blasted metal military parts and it takes twice as long to come off.
Did you order the lights direct from Eagle? Sport us more pictures.

skibum315

Explorer
That CARC is tough stuff I have sand blasted metal military parts and it takes twice as long to come off.
I've also heard that the dust can be nasty; a respirator was recommended when I was chatting with a buddy about it ... he's done a couple of cargo trailer 'refreshes' (not nearly this level of restoration).

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Please be careful when working with the CARC...it is highly toxic. Special precautions like respirator, tyvek suit sealed at cuffs and ankles, and proper clean up is a must.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
YES! as with any coating a resperator at minimum and keep it off your self.
I sand blast in a cabinet and wear a resperator when I work.

Fresno

Adventurer
I agree, however, it is no more hazardous than any other paint dust. The danger is in the SPRAYING. CARC is spayed with an airborne activator. Once combined and dried it is regular old paint. I do agree that respiration protection is advisable with any sanding.

Fresno

Adventurer
The prep is going well. A detailed undercoat is easier using a lift.
1b702c65.jpg

With the bed Linexed and now the undercoat done, paint will finish on Tuesday and Wed.

b83b364d.jpg

It is looking like its brand new (from underneath at least)

I came across a few nut-certs that needed to be replaced. Access to the right tool kept the project on track.

bc3e2cf3.jpg

Fresno

Adventurer
Another weekend of stripping down the trailers. Out with the old.
93f693e8.jpg

New parts. This is the fun part.

f56648c1.jpg

These are roof stiffeners for thr bow system.
4a74f727.jpg

Need missing parts? Ebay saved are schedule. These are stabilization jacks. Fresh from the powder coater.
65a02bc5.jpg

More bow brackets.
55acac30.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles