Front spare tire mount suggestions

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Looks like a very simple plate from the upper to lower crossbars with an adapter to mount the tire would work just fine. My 1st question is is the pushbar strong enough to support the weight of the tire and the 2nd question is is the mounting point for the pushbar on the frame (or bumper) strong enough to support the weight of the tire?
Darrell

jebers53

Observer
The push bar/grillguard is very beefy and secure as it is the frame mounted piece to which the warn winch and other components attach. I was thinking a plate with studs attached secured to the round bar with u bolts? What y'all think?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks like the tire will have to mount high to clear the winch.
Make sure you can see over it and that it is legal for road travel.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've often wondered why more overlanders don't mount the spare tire in front. Back in the 60's and 70's this was a pretty common modification for pickups with campers. I know some people are concerned about blocking the flow of air to the radiator but if you have a good enough fan and if the tire is mounted far enough from the radiator for the fan to be able to pull in "clean" air this shouldn't be an issue.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I've often wondered why more overlanders don't mount the spare tire in front. Back in the 60's and 70's this was a pretty common modification for pickups with campers. I know some people are concerned about blocking the flow of air to the radiator but if you have a good enough fan and if the tire is mounted far enough from the radiator for the fan to be able to pull in "clean" air this shouldn't be an issue.

Hear is one thing to rember Any thing mounted in front fo the bumper becomes the bumper. Be it a hi lit jack tire ect .

Last edited:

FishAll50

Catching the Dream
jebers,

I have seen hitch mounted tire carriers. I added a hitch mount to the ranchhand grill guard on my F250. I use it for a rack that can carry a cooler or firewood as necessary (around camp). The hitch mount is a "universal" style that I bought off craigslist - the universal models allow you to adjust the width between 2 points. I drilled each side of the grill guard upright to accept the hitch. Doing that in conjunction with a hitch mounted tire carrier would achieve what you want plus allows the flexibility to easily remove the setup as desired. As others have stated, ensure your are not overloading any of the items in the setup. You might even consider chaining the tire to a solid point on the truck with enough tension to keep vibration down to a minimum - the "chain" could even be a cable with lock.......and even keep the length such that if you did have a catastrophic failure, your tire would not turn into a 70mph speed bump. Following is a pic of my hitch mounted to the grill guard.

SANY1531.jpg

The rack I use is an atv sized rack and for lighweight hauling only around camp.......I keep total weight down to 50lbs or less. Your tire/wheel combo will probably weigh more. The front hitch has also been useful for manuevering trailers in tight spaces.

Following is pic with rack up (forgive my shop mess - it was under construction at this time).

SANY1530.jpg

With rack down: Note - in this pic, you can see the 2 bolts used on the driver's side upright. These are the holes I drilled (2 each side) to mount the hitch. The hardware is grade 8 btw.

SANY1536.jpg

link for a hitch mounted tire carrier or you can easily make one to your own specs:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Car...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CLClibzG5K8CFU6MtgodBHzI_A

Last edited:

AZ ADVenturist

Observer
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Curt/c31006.html?feed=npn&gclid=CLClibz

That is what I want to set-up on my Chev. Camper Van. JCWhitney has the same one priced at $99.99 they might pay shipping. Has any one used this yet?

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
Looks like the tire will have to mount high to clear the winch.
Make sure you can see over it and that it is legal for road travel.

these two are great points. but having the fan running alot (non-electric units) would put more load on the motor. not always an issue, but could be if pulling a large enough trailer up big enough mountain.

if the grill guard is ment to hold and support a winch, holding a tire should not be a problem. i like the idea of a plate with wheel studs held onto the bars by U-bolts. and the U-bolts could be undone to remove the tire mount.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok I may be wrong hear but indulge me a moment.
Your spare will add 85-125 lbs to the front of your rig. To witch you have added 150+ in bumper another 100 in winch. These are rough numbers. In my thoughts you already have the majority of the factory weight placed on the front axle and you just put 300-350 lbs 12-24" in front of the axle. just dosent seem right. Also as I have said before if the tire is the most forward it became your bumper. So when you get in an accedent you now have a bent rim. or punctured tire.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
what i've seen, that warn grill guard is about 85lbs with out winch. and he did say if there would be a winch on there or not. but yea, that is a good bit of weight added to the front

Erik N

Adventurer
Also as I have said before if the tire is the most forward it became your bumper. So when you get in an accedent you now have a bent rim. or punctured tire.

I buy the possible weight re-distribution argument, but the fear of damaging the spare in a collision doesn't make sense IMO. If you hit something hard enough to bend a rim or pop a tire, I would bet your rig would be undriveable afterwards anyway. Plus, if I'm going to be in an accident, I want all the deformable stuff I can have between me and whatever hits me.

That is kind of like arguing not to add lights to the roof, because they would be damaged in a rollover. My 2 cents.

AZ ADVenturist

Observer
I buy the possible weight re-distribution argument, but the fear of damaging the spare in a collision doesn't make sense IMO. If you hit something hard enough to bend a rim or pop a tire, I would bet your rig would be undriveable afterwards anyway. Plus, if I'm going to be in an accident, I want all the deformable stuff I can have between me and whatever hits me.

That is kind of like arguing not to add lights to the roof, because they would be damaged in a rollover. My 2 cents.

Agreed!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I only say this from my point of view. I have also had a front mounted hi lift that would have been nice to winch my self off the tree but it was pinned between the bumper and tree. Also the jack was usles as it was bent to hell. Yes in the event of a problem where the spare is damaged you most likely have more issues I am just point out cons to the mentioned idea.

jebers53

Observer
Great input! Much appreciated. Don't understand why WARN does not offer a tire mount for their component system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles