Mlk, Eggs, Cheese, Ice Iream, Meat, and Vegetables Without Refrigeration.

steventexas

Observer
After a simple cold air blast and deep freeze that shut down the local grocers here in D/FW, Texas, my preparedness awareness was heightened to level of 'make sure this does not happen again'.
I did the research and bought food storage that would also rotate as our primary food supply.
The company had to meet some specific requirements because we are health conscious.
No added salt or preservatives.
No food colors
No genetically modified foods
No Chinese products and all others had to show country of origin.
Ingredients must show nutritional and caloric value per serving size.
In short we want one company that has variety, quality, healthy and shelf life product that tastes like home cooking.

18 months later we have a store that provides ourselves and many others what I described above.
As for our Overlanding and off shore activities, this has worked out perfect. We want to invite others to explore what we think is unsurpassed ease and quality of meals on the trail.

WWW.thriveon.shelfreliance.com/home

We either carry a sealed pantry can, or #10 can if cooking for others or else we mix the recipes we like in a bowl and use the seal a meal before hand, to pack our favorite meals in the portions we need without waste.
All of the food is consumable straight from the can so we make healthy trail mix blends of snap beans, peas, FD chicken, walnuts and FD grapes. the possibilities are endless and only limited by your imagination.
I use a Kanz Kitchen, http://www.kanzoutdoors.com/. the stove is carried separate and top shelf carries 15 pantry cans.
In total, more than two weeks food and kitchen, with hardware and spices weighs 83 pounds.
An additional cooler/dry box with one month food supply riding on the back trail rack weighs 11 pounds.

This month, the company introduced 14 new entre' products, Express meals are pre mixed delicious meals in cans or pouches. After spending some time with the development team in Salt Lake and realizing the need for more expedition ready meals for the overlanders, hikers and bikers, they have turned an attentive ear our way.
My goal of this thread is to introduce a quality company that will help provide sustainable easy to prepare nutritious meals for those of us who take the road less traveled but want to eat well with very little prep and even less litter or waste.

Your input, recipes and flavor preferences are greatly appreciated.

www.thriveon.shelfreliance.com/home

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I had the pleasure of meeting Steve and Cynthia on our recent trip to the Overland Expo. They are a fun happy couple who were great traveling companions.

During our trip Steve and Cynthia introduced us to freeze dried foods. Not to sound like a shill but the food they prepared for us was really good. I was especially impressed by the freeze dried mixed vegtables which I had three servings.

I think I'll be giving freeeze dried food another thought when I plan my next trip.

piffey263

Interesting stuff,

I think when I get a chance I will defiantly try out this company. The idea of having chicken without a refrigerator is really appealing. :)

steventexas

Observer
Here is what I did yesterday, I figured out what I'm calling " reconsti-fusion".
Chicken re constituted with chicken broth and some juice from the pickle jar.
Chicken salad sandwich beginnings. I was at a friends in South, Texas so we had boiled eggs and mayo but the chicken was a three week old left over seal a meal pack that had traveled to Expo with me and had since been in the dry box of the Jeep.

Last edited:

draganof

Observer
Soy Bacon?

As a man that worships Bacon I was all into checking this Company out until I saw their Bacon isn't really Bacon. It's made from Soy Beans? That's like putting a Land Cruiser logo on a Ford Exploder and saying it's the Lite version but just as good. That's it I'm going inside now and Frying me up some Double Hickory Smoked Extra Thick Brown Sugar Cured Bacon.

And a 9lb Pork Butt is going in the Smoker Tomorrow Morning......:drool:

kai38

Explorer
Steve loves to cook, we tasted almost every thing he brought and it was all very good, the vegetables Mike talked about really were tasty, here's a picture of some that hadn't been eaten yet, along with some ribeye Steve grilled & pork loin I cooked.
DSCF5329.JPG

Steve had also given us some free sample freeze dried vegetables that I used one night in some pork fried rice.
Nice color and taste,
DSCF5538.JPG

steventexas

Observer
Yep, believe it or not there is a demand for fake bacon. TVP beef, chicken, and ham too. Something about being vegetarian I think.
Another concern even bigger than cholesterol is Gluten. Gluten free is neccessary to some and I,m happy to say they can now travel, and camp with confidence and great gluten free food.
Gluten is a freaky thing like the pink slime in meat. I,m thinking I may watch that stuff too.
Oops, gotta go, the mrs Wrights, thick sliced, pepper cured needs to be turned".
I,m glad to be home!

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
without refrigeration

This is good source for your backcountry bacon needs.

Attachments

• CMMG-Tactical-Bacon1325-3173.jpg
    CMMG-Tactical-Bacon1325-3173.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles