Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edgestar issue

Quote Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
    have a look at one of the other HUGE threads on exactly this topic.

I have, a few times, and not once is this issue addressed.....this is not the low voltage issue. I have read through the 98 page Edgestar thread and 90% of it is people posting that they ordered theirs toady! Yay!

Do you have anything to add or are you just posting uninformative posts cause you're bored on a Saturday?

sorry, maybe i am just bored.

this thread is as good as it gets to date http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Cut-Off-Issues

i guess if theres no info in that its best to start another new thread on yet another problem with edgestar than just expand on the one that already exists

have you checked the fuse on the board? maybe there are separate ones for 120 and 12 volt and the 12v one is blown?
    Last edited by RHINO; 05-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Clay

sorry, maybe i am just bored.

this thread is as good as it gets to date http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Cut-Off-Issues

i guess if theres no info in that its best to start another new thread on yet another problem with edgestar than just expand on the one that already exists

have you checked the fuse on the board? maybe there are separate ones for 120 and 12 volt and the 12v one is blown?
    I pulled the power supply box and checked the inside. 115VAC and the 12VDC share a fuse, it was good. I also checked over everything in the box and couldn't find anything visually wrong.

I then took it out to the truck and messed around with a multimeter. I am getting 13V to the fridge, and 13V to the power supply. I only have 8V coming out of the power supply to the compressor and it's fluctuating to 3V when it make the clicking noise.

This is telling me the power supply is shot. Whatcha think?

I also checked it when my inverter was running the fridge through 115VAC and I have a full 12.5V going to the compressor and it purrs like a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
    This is telling me the power supply is shot. Whatcha think?

looks like you found it. but whats next, start replacing parts? i dont know if you can buy that from edge or what, if any, warranty they will honor.
    Clay

I bought it used from a friend and it has the extended 5 year warranty......catch is I'm leaving for moab this Friday for a week and will need it. Guess I'll run it off the inverter until I can get it warrantied.

if i thought it would make it in time i'd send ya the power supply out of mine.
    Clay

I'm just going by memory on my FP430 here... (I don't recall you said what model you have)

I recall behind the panel on the fridge is a row of 7 or 8 screw terminals mounted right on the end of the power supply unit. The top 4 terminals (two blue wires, two brown wires) is the common 12 VDC circuit (and is also where the supply outputs it's 12 VDC as well). One set of wires (brn & blu) is from the 12V IN jack, the other set goes to the compressor controller.
    Maybe one of the 12V jack wire screws is loose? (these screws being loose I know had been mentioned in the other threads) Or the common connection between the two blue wires or the two brown wires down on the supply's board was lost somehow? (check for continuity between the two blues, and again between the browns) Or maybe a wire came detached from the 12V jack itself? (just throwing out some possibilities here)

As a last resort, you could try applying 12 volts to the terminals where you measured 12.5V when the fridge was plugged into 115V (brn is +, blue -) and I bet it would start up and run (running it through your inverter (12V > 115 V > 12V again) is extremely inefficient).
    1990 Ford Bronco II, dual t-case, locked up on 35s

if i thought it would make it in time i'd send ya the power supply out of mine.
    Do you have one laying around?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
    I'm just going by memory on my FP430 here... (I don't recall you said what model you have)

I recall behind the panel on the fridge is a row of 7 or 8 screw terminals mounted right on the end of the power supply unit. The top 4 terminals (two blue wires, two brown wires) is the common 12 VDC circuit (and is also where the supply outputs it's 12 VDC as well). One set of wires (brn & blu) is from the 12V IN jack, the other set goes to the compressor controller.
    Maybe one of the 12V jack wire screws is loose? (these screws being loose I know had been mentioned in the other threads) Or the common connection between the two blue wires or the two brown wires down on the supply's board was lost somehow? (check for continuity between the two blues, and again between the browns) Or maybe a wire came detached from the 12V jack itself? (just throwing out some possibilities here)

As a last resort, you could try applying 12 volts to the terminals where you measured 12.5V when the fridge was plugged into 115V (brn is +, blue -) and I bet it would start up and run (running it through your inverter (12V > 115 V > 12V again) is extremely inefficient).

I have the 43qrt, I will check those terminals.

I left the fridge running all night so we'll see how it did...

i have the whole 43qt fridge
    Clay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast