Coffee Preparations

blupaddler

Conspirator
Oh, and a funny comic too.

Don't start asking me those questions...I haven't had any coffee since this morning. Now, sugar...:p

Attachments

• incaug.jpg
    incaug.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 128

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Boy that's a good point I never thought of. I usually toss the grinds out on the ground. I have heard coffee is good for plants b/c of the 'whatever' in coffee is good for them... dunno, I would like to know if I've been doing something wrong...

mcvickoffroad said:
One thing to consider is that coffee and coffee grounds are not indigenous to the areas we often travel. So even if they are biodegradable they don't belong and could impact the localized environment in a undesirable way.

If I eat a mango while standing under a mango tree I can then drop the mango skin on the ground near all the other fallen mangos and I know that that environment will be ok and be able to absorb and benefit from that mango skin. If I were to drop that mango skin in the middle of the desert, well it just doesn't belong there even though it is biodegradable.

But I still wonder about coffee grounds. I guess my primary thought was about how easy clean up would be if you just dipped your French press into a running stream to wash it out --- but now this could go on to a whole new thread about washing dishes! Do you go to the extent of washing a pot, straining the dishwater to pack out the chunks with you and scatter the remaining water?

Scott Brady

Founder
I used these Wolfgang Puck coffees this last weekend during the no-stop marathon drive from Seattle to Prescott.

No stove required, just push in the tab and it self heats. Good tasting lattes and mochas.

flavor1c.gif

Self heating coffees

blupaddler

Conspirator
WOW!!!

You know, funny thing is I walked by those the other day at Vons. For some reason I thought they were soups. :rolleyes:

Great find!!! My coffee fiend says THANKS!!!

So, which did you like the best?

blupaddler

Conspirator
I couldn't get the picture to load...That and when I switched browsers, I got some message about their security certificate not matching.

BUT, from what I could tell they seem pretty good. However, I think I will stick with my stove top espresso maker. That is until I get the "real" one mounted in the 80.

Gosh, things we do for coffee.

:D

david despain

Adventurer
interesting about the cowboy coffee, it reminds me of a story my dad used to tell and i never quite knew if it was embelished or not and now i think not.

my family had a ranch near prescott for many years and for a while they ran a fair amount of cattle. during roundup they hired extra cowboys to help with the cutting and branding and loading etc. and they always hired this one old guy to be camp chef. you can imagine how cowboys like to have coffee ready to drink all day and nite so he took a 55 gallon drum filled it with water to the proper level as determined by practice, and built a fire around the base of it. then just dumped in a big can of coffee. round up lasted about a week or two, give or take, and every morning he dumped in a fresh can of coffe and more water and after breakfast he tossed in the egg shells as apparently they make the grounds sink. all the cowboys had their own cups and just dipped them in to fill them. my dad always said by the end of round up you made sure to just skim the top of the barrel and not dip to deeply.
i always thought it was a funny story and now i think its probably pretty close to what really happend.

kai38

Explorer
I use this. Makes a great strong cup of coffee
da_1.JPG

I like my coffee cold so I need to bring extra ice to keep clean for my coffee
You can find these in all sizes, run from $10.00 up, I found some at garage sales for real cheap

ccrider

It is all about the ratio !
2 Tbsp per cup of water.
Peet's Coffee is the preference.
Any French Press; prefer a stainless steel double wall for those cold mornings.
Chris

shahram

Adventurer
I wrote this post in another 4WD website, in a thread about 12v coffee makers, but I think it also applies here...please excuse me if you've heard this before.

If you have a stove, invest in an ibrik (a large metal mug or a small suacepan work in a pinch), some Najjar, and some sugar and have Turkish Coffee! Only takes a few minutes, but if you enjoy a strong brew and don't mind the time, it's a pretty damn good cup of joe.
Not to mention, the setup is compact and easy to clean. In your camp kitchen, you can keep the ibrik (pot) filled with the bags of coffee and sugar and a metal spoon, waiting to be used.

1)Take the ibrik
20487turkish.jpg

2) Fill to neck with water.

3) Pour in one or two teaspoons of sugar

4) Pour in four teaspoons of turkish coffee. Brands like Najjar (the Starbucks of Turkey), Elite (Israeli, good--and kosher, if that's your thing), and Loumidis (Greek, don't ever call it Turkish) are popular brands. If you have any Turkish, Middle Eastern, Greek, or even Eastern European, especially Balkan neighborhoods in your city, you can find these coffees. I think they may be available online, but the prices are heavy--try to buy local.

5) Where were we? Oh yeah. Pour the coffee on. Notice it floats. Don't worry, it's supposed to. Put the ibrik (pot) on the stove. Low or Medium heat works. When you're camping, use a little lower heat. Don't ever boil the water. Never walk away from coffee.

6) After about two minutes, the coffee should foam up. When the foam looks like it's gonna pour over the sides, take the pot off the stove. Stir in the coffee completely.

7) Put back on stove. Let it foam again to the top. Remove from stove. Stir again.

8) Put back on stove again. Let it foam up again. This time, just remove and turn off stove. Scoop foam and put it equally into mugs. Then pour coffee into mugs.

9) Enjoy. Once you get your technique down, Turkish coffee will be one of the best cups of java you'll ever have. You can experiment with the amounts to suit your taste, but very few people say they don't like it once they've tried it. Yes, there will be some grounds at the bottom of each cup, but just don't drink the whole cup. I happen to like the grounds mixed with the sugar. They taste good and carry a mean kick.

10) To clean, just pour in some cold water, swish it around, throw out the old coffee, wipe it down with a rag, repack and you're ready to go. No filters, no paper waste, no electric crap. Just fire, water, coffee and sugar, the way Allah intended!

91xlt

Adventurer
being a pretty simple kind of guy, i make and drink simple coffee.

i use the filter packs, they work well, and just about no mess.

remove filter pack from container, insert into top of perculator, apply heat:exclaim:

Attachments

• camping 050.jpg
    camping 050.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 49
  • camping 051.jpg
    camping 051.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 53
  • camping 052.jpg
    camping 052.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 49

big sky trapper

Adventurer
xlt i think were on the same page there, keep it simple...mines just a plain jane old style blue camp fire percolator, with more black soot on it than blue left haha. one of my few peices of gear i will never "upgrade" for any of the froo froo coffee makers out there.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I use a very old/antique aluminum glass top perk coffee maker that I found in an antique store in Gardnerville, Nevada. It was used for years up in Lake Tahoe in an old family cabin. I brew it up on my antique Coleman stove. Somehow.........it just makes the coffee taste better!;)
X2, I use the aluminium/glass top percolator I bought new in 19mumblemumble and my Old Optimus stove. That set-up has brewed literaly hundreds of gallons of coffee over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior