Coffee Preparations

BigAl

Expedition Leader
stevenmd said:
Coffee? It's called a Rockstar!:victory:

Gotta agree:) I like diet Rockstar 16oz, nice sour taste, good kick, not syrappy sweet. I think it has the same mg of caffiene as medium coffee.

jeeperaz

Observer
Macchinetta all the way... aka Moka Pot.

Cheap, lightweight, fast and no real cleaning needed... in fact soap is a no-no.

Recently I started using the Bialetti Brikka which builds up more pressure than a typical Moka Pot and therefore produces a delicious 'crema'.

Last edited:

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
Any good 12v coffee pots?

No kidding. With all the outlets in the modern Land Cruisers, Land Rovers etc, you can just take along an expresso machine.... No need for all the stove top crap!
:ylsmoke:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
LC/LR4Life said:
No kidding. With all the outlets in the modern Land Cruisers, Land Rovers etc, you can just take along an expresso machine.... No need for all the stove top crap!
:ylsmoke:

What I discovered is there is no good 12volt coffee pots. They are just too slow. I bought a very nice one, but it is way too slow for a campsite. It would work well in an RV on the road if you had plenty of time.

The press makes such good coffee I will just boil water in camp to get my fix.

paulj

Expedition Leader
It comes down the amp rating of the typical 12v outlet. At 10 or 15 amps the 12v pot is limited to 120-225 w. I have a small 120v hot pot that is rated at 400w, and many home heating appliances are in the 1000w or more range. If you are willing to open the hood and use battery clamps you could use a faster 12v pot.

paulj

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I had one of these Big Sky Bistro mugs until I left it in the office over a long weekend and couldn't get the mold cleaned out of the strainer :(

A purist will tell you that if you leave the coffee in the press it gets more and more acidic, so you should immediately poor it into a mug or carafe.

I liked it, though. I think I probably drank it fast enough it didn't have time to get bad!

lowenbrau

Explorer
Lynn said:
I had one of these Big Sky Bistro mugs until I left it in the office over a long weekend and couldn't get the mold cleaned out of the strainer :(

A purist will tell you that if you leave the coffee in the press it gets more and more acidic, so you should immediately poor it into a mug or carafe.

I liked it, though. I think I probably drank it fast enough it didn't have time to get bad!

That's probably true but I think there is so little transfer of fluid through the grounds once the press is down that there is no opportunity to foul the brew. I have a lexan press for the trail and a glass one for home. I simply prefer pressed coffee.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
This reminds me of that little cafe in Venice..... just kidding :jump: Okay if you don't get that, then I'm showing my age.

I take milk and sugar in my coffee and a South African friend of ours had an interesting solution for this. He uses sweetened condensed milk which doesn't need to be refrigerated if used within a week and a plastic lid he salvaged from something else to keep the dust out of it. I prefer real cream and sugar, but it'll do if you run out.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Sweeten condensed milk is a standard addition to Vietnamese style coffee. I've been drinking Cafe du Monde this way. Straight this brand is too bitter, but when tempered with the SCM it is just right. SCM is now sold in squeeze bottles that work great for uses like this - though I refill my bottle from cans several times..
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/vietnamese/
300pouring.jpg

cnskate

Adventurer
Toddy coffee is nice for a week or two trip depending on the level of your addiction and the amount of cooler space you have- http://www.toddycafe.com/. It's has a nice taste with less acid.

A pound of coffee makes about 2l of concetrate I think. Make the concentrate before you leave home. Mix it 1:2 or so with hot water or cold milk depending on the time of day and the heat.

Explorer
Getting back to 12-volt coffee :coffeedrink:

I think this http://www.totalvac.com/parts/B30.html?zmam=6843742&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=B30
is a perfect coffee maker to mount in cab so that I could make varies coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or just plain hot water while camped and when driving:coffeedrink::smiley_drive:

The K-cups are very fresh, you can pack many flavors, plus you can use a filter cup in case you run out of packaged coffee and want to use loose grounds.

I know its not very traditional but I like the idea of fresh coffee without the process of stopping and setting up a flame for brewing while on the road.

My question is this, If it is rated at 120v and 700 watts what will it take to power it up on a 12 volt system?

It takes about 2 minutes to brew when plugged into 120v but will it be that fast if I plug it into an inverter rated at 1000w?

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Another happy Bialetti Moka Express user here. I picked up a 2 cupper last year and used it on a few trips. It rocks.
The coffee from the Bialetti was a big enough hit with the others I was out with that I bought a 6 cup version for sharing. :coffeedrink:

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26

earthmuffin

Observer
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

I still say an aeropress is the way to go. Yes, its made by a frisbee manufacturer......but it is hands down the best cup of coffee consistently no matter where you are.

A bunch of guys over on www.advrider.com were singing their praises last year so I bought one before a trip and decided to give it a try.

It has now replaced both the coffee pot and the espresso machine in my house. I bought one for my Dad and it replaced his faithfull espresso machine as well.

It is lightweight, compact, comes with a year supply of filters, and is easy to clean. Oh and did i mention it makes a MEAN americano. Once the water is added, total brew time is less that 45 seconds so the acid level in the coffe is very low, I think that has something to do with its smooooth yuummmy coffee.

Try it. They are less than $30 shipped off of amazon.

685519192_siGZV-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior