Tall narrow tires 33"+

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I used 9.00 Michelin XZLs and spent a few years looking for them before I finally did. They would go 75 just fine but the are massive massive and heavy tire. I ran them on a land cruiser and they didn't fit right and I was worried about my axle shafts for the first time ever. I sold them shortly after. The best looking option is that Toyo in my opinion.

thanks

x2.

Someday I'll write a bit more about my brief time owning a set of new 9.00R16, about 9 years ago, but: I didn't have to wait to buy mine,
massive, massive and heavy tire
sounds about right to me. I didn't like how they rode and didn't flex (all-steel construction), etc.

The Toyo M/T in one of the many sizes they offer (also a very stiff, rugged tire), seems a MUCH better choice to me for almost any on-highway, dual-purpose 4WD. Available, speed rated, better traction, you name it, I'd take a Toyo over a set of XZLs. OR one of the many great "LT" tires we have at our disposal these days.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've used many shorter XZLs without issue on heavy laden Defenders, and actually have a set of 9x16s on the 130. Their design/technology is about 30years old, so matches the 'mind set' of the Defender. As stated above, they do not compare to modern tires from a ride/performance point of view. Also, they were designed for extremely heavy loads, predominantly off road applications, not 99% highway- much less at any speed. Their biggest claim is resistance to puncture, but that is because they have so much tread/ply depth(aka: weight) that they can actually be retreaded once they are bald. Lastly, the main reason I suspect we all want them is because they are so legendary, but really because we can't get them...

I will gladly trade my near new set of 9x16 XSs for a set of new Toyos or BFGs ;-) Here is your chance anybody!!

MNcummins

I ran the STA Superlugs on my '93 W250 Cummins. They were just shy of 36" tall. I had no lift and no rubbing. They were a pretty decent tire, did not last very long on the heavy Dodge and it took a bit of getting used to the biased ply tires when first rolling in the a.m. as they tend to take a bit coming back to round...
small 1654.jpgsmall 1653.jpg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I ran the STA Superlugs on my '93 W250 Cummins. They were just shy of 36" tall. I had no lift and no rubbing. They were a pretty decent tire, did not last very long on the heavy Dodge and it took a bit of getting used to the biased ply tires when first rolling in the a.m. as they tend to take a bit coming back to round...

I hope that is your house ;) Very cool ! :sombrero:
Thanks for posting.
So the tires didn't last very long ?
They were 'square' in the mornings...
How was the handling ?
Were they noisy, as "darien" mentioned in post #21 ?
So, I take it you did not get another set ?
Sorry for all the questions :safari-rig:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
98dango,

I too prefer tall skinny tires around 35-36” range. The best I could find is Super Swamper Q78-16 TSL's. I am on my second set and love them although they are getting harder and harder to find. The last set purchased in 2009 took almost 4 weeks for 4WP to find a set of 4. 2 came from Texas and 2 from Louisiana….bad deal if a catastrophic tire failure occurs on a trip so I started running 315x75R16's for long distance trips. Plus, the Q78 Swampers aren't really a tire one would want to live with on a daily basis or ride very far. Took them on a 1,800 mile trip a few years ago...never again! While they are awesome in the mud and snow and off-road in general, any steering input is only a mere suggestion as to which way you want the truck to turn at highway speeds. Straight line driving they are great, no wondering or anything....curves, not so much. Driving a truck with bias ply Super Swamper TSL's is like having your steering intermediate shaft made of rope instead of steel tubing. Got to winder her up in the corners then it comes unraveled quickly on the rebound. Tire wear, especially with a Detroit rear locker is pretty bad as they are a very soft compound. On the other hand, they handle the load of my camper great! No sway what so ever…..and did I mention they tear up the mud and snow like an animal.

Now on with 9.00-16's. Those will probably even be harder to come by than Q78's. Growing up my dad had an old K20 wrecker that he went back and forth from 9.00-16's to Q78's every few years. The truck wasn't really lifted only add-leafs in the rear and arched front springs. The Q78's are noticeably taller than 9.00-16's. The 9.00-16's my dad always got were bias tube type tires branded Gateway mudder but the tread pattern was the same as a Gumbo Mudder.

255/85R16's are too small. Probably fine for a Toyota or somewhat stock domestic HD truck.

Q78's on my '78 K10. Depending on the destination depends which tires the truck wears out of the home shop.
6015711311_f463436550_z.jpg

315/75R16 elcheap Kumho tires. Soon to be replaced with BFG AT's. Much shorter and wider than Q78's. 315 BFG's are a bit taller and skinnier than Kumho's though as Coloradobill and I learned last weekend.
5697749201_1eb5634a14_z.jpg

'78 K20 wrecker I inherited when my dad passed away a couple years ago. I remember the day he brought this truck home from the dealership back when it was brand new. I even learned how to drive in this truck. Poor truck hasn't been driven since 1997 when the 427 died. These tires are 9.00-16 with no lift, just slightly arched front springs and a few additional springs added to the rear packs. My Silvy in front is wearing the usual 285's.
5073929978_4c702f36ac_z.jpg

Same truck with a different brand of 9.00-16's from the way back file. Circa 1982-1983 at our old Exxon station
1188136759_f035d2002a_z.jpg

255/85R16 on a newer GM truck. I never tried putting these on the '78 K10 but I can tell you the Q78's would not fit this '05 Silverado HD as the tires would not clear the fenders. I tried one day and couldn't even get the tires on the lug nuts before they hit the fender edges. 255's are very small compared to Q78's or even 9.00-16's. 255's are a perfect “big” tire for a Tacoma.
3443625932_133b42c12f_z.jpg

Found this picture while digging up tire pictures. Ah, I loved this day. Big new tires made the shop smell good too!
4 new SS Q78 TSL's fresh off the UPS truck in 2009
3587255547_9eac1c2fc1_z.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...Lastly, the main reason I suspect we all want them is because they are so legendary, but really because we can't get them...
snip...

I agree. If I'd never tried a set of 9.00R16s there would still be a question in the back of my mind... Thankfully I got that out of my system quickly, years ago, and lost relatively few dollars doing it. ;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
285s may be the future

A couple have mentioned 285s, and I'm in agreement. Of course by 9.00R16 or 255/85 standards, a 285 is not really a narrow tire. However, compared to many of the other offerings in the recent past, and now, they are narrower than the 12"+ tires that were/are common. I wish there were more tire choices narrower than 285/275, but it doesn't appear on the horizon (I'd love to be wrong).

On the short side:
285/75R16 = 33-ish
many to choose from

In the middle, not common, but the size Locrwln has and I'd like to try:
285/75R17 = 34-ish
few to choose from

Above:
285/75R18 = 35"
a few more to choose from

I'm not a fan of tall wheels, but the 18" 285s do have some appeal as they are a 35" tall tire that is only (approx.) 11.5" wide.

greengreer

Adventurer
285/75/17's run closer to 35", albeit they are expensive and not too many options...

edit: sorry didn't realize this info was already posted

Last edited:

MNcummins

I hope that is your house ;) Very cool ! :sombrero:
Thanks for posting.
So the tires didn't last very long ?
They were 'square' in the mornings...
How was the handling ?
Were they noisy, as "darien" mentioned in post #21 ?
So, I take it you did not get another set ?
Sorry for all the questions :safari-rig:

Thanks and yes, that is my place.
That truck was my daily driver as well as my wheels to our weekend cottage. I probably had 25k on them. That old Dodge was heavy (9k or so, empty) and tires did not last long regardless. I think if you were putting them on a lighter truck or a weekend type ride and not your daily you should be fine. They did hum a bit but did not really bother me over the beautiful sound of the Cummins.. I am running Treadwright Guard Dogs now and I would say there are probably about the same volume. The STA's were quiet when new but gradually became louder...

In the cold mornings they did take a mile or so to "round out" but not a real big deal.

Could not really say much about handling as the truck was no Porsche.. They did great in snow, rain, slush, and mud. That winter I rarely had to engage the 4wd thanks to the STA's.

The tires were a great value when I bought them, I think $130 a piece.

I sold the truck this past fall and now running a '98 Dodge 2500. I would do it again if I ever had a lighter truck. Like most of the comments here I am a firm believer in tall-skinnys vs. fattys (read into that accordingly). That said my next tire will hopefully be a 255/85 R16 as I do not think I could get 36" of tire in my stock wells.. Short of going as crazy and awesome as Metcalf...
IMG_1651.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks like they still make these...

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/Highway/Bias Light Truck/292

I'm sure they sing quite loud down the highway, but i love the old school look to them

Yes! Power Kings! Those tires on that yellow wrecker in my pictures are Power Kings, but I swore there was a Gateway name stamped on them too. Same tread pattern as a Gumbo Mudder. Yes, they do roar down the highway but not as near as much as a Super Swamper TSL. Any off-roader looking for a tire size like this should know better to complain about tire noise. Tire noise is music to motor heads hears just like loud Flowmaster exhaust. Vehicle noise comes with the territory. Turn up the radio

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thanks and yes, that is my place.

Great looking house ! :ylsmoke:

That truck was my daily driver as well as my wheels to our weekend cottage. I probably had 25k on them. That old Dodge was heavy (9k or so, empty) and tires did not last long regardless.

Oh, okay. Gotcha. That is a bit heavy...

I think if you were putting them on a lighter truck or a weekend type ride and not your daily you should be fine. They did hum a bit but did not really bother me over the beautiful sound of the Cummins..

Ahh, well, what better "white noise" for the tires than the sound of that 12V ! :sombrero:

So, perhaps okay for something in the 6K range, but maybe not for something driven on long trips or driven daily (on occasion) ?

<snip> The STA's were quiet when new but gradually became louder...

I had the same issue with the 35x10.50R16 SSRs I ran... That's an issue with most of these kinds of tires, I presume.

In the cold mornings they did take a mile or so to "round out" but not a real big deal.

Okay, good to know. Thanks. I grew up with bias ply tires on all our cars, until the 70s, and remember that "rounding out" on cold mornings...

It's weird to read things now that make it sound like bias ply tires will cause the end of the world if you use them.

Could not really say much about handling as the truck was no Porsche.. They did great in snow, rain, slush, and mud. That winter I rarely had to engage the 4wd thanks to the STA's.

That's quite a good endorsement. Good to hear.

The tires were a great value when I bought them, I think $130 a piece.

You did very well ! I think one would need to add a little more than $100 to that price, to find them today...

I sold the truck this past fall and now running a '98 Dodge 2500. I would do it again if I ever had a lighter truck. Like most of the comments here I am a firm believer in tall-skinnys vs. fattys (read into that accordingly). That said my next tire will hopefully be a 255/85 R16 as I do not think I could get 36" of tire in my stock wells.. Short of going as crazy and awesome as Metcalf...

Saying that you would get them again is a very good endorsement. I agree with you, too, about "tall-skinnys vs. fattys" ;)

Redline is a good person to ask about 255/85R16s, if you are looking. I have made a collection of information, too. Would love to try the Toyo M55, but price and some other issues have kept it from happening. There are a few on here that have tried them and like them (i.e.: "ashooter").

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry are you noticing much of a fuel mileage change between the q78 and the 315

No noticeable change in fuel economy going back and forth but I can't say that I really checked either. It is hard to get an accurate fuel economy reading on this old dog when the speedo isn't exactly accurate.

98dango

Expedition Leader
No noticeable change in fuel economy going back and forth but I can't say that I really checked either. It is hard to get an accurate fuel economy reading on this old dog when the speedo isn't exactly accurate.

My dad keeps on me that the wider is not going to affect my fuel enough to matter. I think hes right most of you q78sand heavy so the rolling weight will be the same and v8 should not really notice the drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne