Manual locking hubs....any difference in MPG?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Ok, so moving this thread to Gen Vehicle Modification. Want to hear some more feedback on this topic from other members..:smiley_drive:

reece146

Automotive Artist
I put locking hubs on my built XJ. If there is a difference in mpgs it is so small that it can't be measured from tank to tank.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Recently put a set on my gen 2 4runner. I had been looking to get rid of the ADD drive flanges for some time now. With even a mild lift (I have BJ spacers and backed off the torsion bars, so no more than ~1 inch over stock), the cvs are at a pretty bad angle just sitting stationary without a diff drop.
I haven't seen any appreciable increase in mileage, but mostly was looking to go easy on the wear and tear on the already semi-fragile cv axles on these trucks. It seems a little silly to be spinning both axles all the time when a lot of the miles on this thing are highway and 2wd.
I'm not really familiar with the setup on Monteros, but the Toyota ADD system disconnects one axle when in 2wd so the front driveshaft isn't spinning. I'm sure if it was hooked up all the time the increase in MPG's would be more significant when switching to manual hubs.

My .02

The effects of hub conversion is completely dependent on the 4 wheel drive system. Some vehicle have auto hubs that function like manual hubs by unlocking the drivetrain from the t-case. Some Auto hubs just disengage at the hub itself and drivetrain continues to rotate. I hope this makes sense.

jpat30

Adventurer
^^^^^^^
IMHO, Not worth what it will cost you to put in your d30; assuming that's what you have.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Monteros are a bit different, but I know that on an Jeep, where the front is spinning all the time, going to locking hubs results in a gain of far less than 1mpg. At the same time, all of the recent Jeeps (97+ish) with the front spinning constantly aren't equipped with a bearing between the front drive sprocket and the main shaft of the T-case. (Why put a bearing there when there's almost no speed difference between the two during most high speed driving situations, right?) That means that when you unlock and stop the front from spinning, the main shaft is spinning at road speed inside the front drive sprocket in a purely metal-to-metal condition. (With some oil fed in from the t-case pump, but there is no bearing anymore!!) IMO, that causes a far bigger concern for me than the tiny bit of mileage gain, or wear. If a montero is set up similarly, with no CAD and drive flanges, that might be something to consider.

Now on IFS, with lift, I think locking hubs would save some wear on the (likely over-angled) CV joint boots. That alone may make the conversion worthwhile on those trucks!
YMMV.
C

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
So I got my hands on some manual locking hubs for the montero. Anyone else running them?

Wanted to know if there is any difference in fuel economy having them turned off?

:)

Nope,
2000 Nissan Frontier v6 4wd auto. with auto hubs to hardbody manual hubs.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I have several thousand miles on my Warn Manual Hubs, and have experienced a roughly 1 mpg improvement in mileage. On pathfinders, as from the factory they have a front assembly that turns even in 2wd, it is typical to see a 1-2 mpg improvement, but as previously stated, the main improvement is in the durability of front end components.

As in all things mpg related every little bit helps and before you know it you will have a 4-5 mpg increase. The recommendations I can make are change your driving style, run royal purple fluids, add an electric fan, manual hubs, smaller less aggressive tires, free flowing intake and exhaust and make sure the engine is properly tuned. It all helps and you would be surprised how high the MPG's will go. Getting a 30-40% increase in MPG's in not unheard of with employing a few hyper miler techniques.

01tundra

Explorer
One nice thing about manual locking hubs is that if you manage to break a CV joint, R&P, etc. out in the middle of nowhere you can unlock the front and still drive home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles