Desk to Glory: The Lagunas Route

Cooper Discoverer Second Round Voting!

A2A Expedition: How can you afford to travel the world overland?

Overland Expo West 2016: The Mobile Abodes

Overland Expo West: Day 3

Overland Expo West 2016: Day 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2" LED Off-Road Light

I doubt that you actually see more than 500 lm from those at temperature. They're decent for offroad though.

I'll be field-testing a pair of JW Speaker TS3000 lights sometime next month if I can figure out a mount for the Power Wagon.
    I really like the new LEDs from Speaker and Trucklite. These are street legal too, not just for ATVs....

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/he...-driving-light

Safety fast,
    Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Mark Twain

HAM General licensee

These solstice pods look like they would be great for aux lighting. Does anyone have experience with their flood lights? I'm a little weary of LED floods but love the low amp draw.

Actually it's very easy to get a flood from an LED. Getting a narrow focused beam is a little tougher. Most led out there are 125deg with no optic or reflector. It's very easy to get that down to 40 to 60deg. I use Cree xpg with an optic that makes for a 10mm x 10mm x 7mm foot print and that gets down to about a 24 deg beam. To get a 5 to 10 deg I would need a massive 35mm reflector. Even with a larger XML LED all that is needed for a flood is a 20mm optic.
    http://servicedriven.org

Travel
    Volunteer service
    service learning
    Bikes
    Beer
    Bacon

Bikes
    Dean titanium soft tail-very custom, Salsa Fargo-adventure bike, Azonic steel head dirt jumper
    Bike transporter http://servicedriven.org/about-service-driven/our-car/
    2004 Toyota Rav4 - still mostly stock because we keep spending all our money on gas

Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    Actually it's very easy to get a flood from an LED. Getting a narrow focused beam is a little tougher. Most led out there are 125deg with no optic or reflector. It's very easy to get that down to 40 to 60deg. I use Cree xpg with an optic that makes for a 10mm x 10mm x 7mm foot print and that gets down to about a 24 deg beam. To get a 5 to 10 deg I would need a massive 35mm reflector. Even with a larger XML LED all that is needed for a flood is a 20mm optic.
    Thanks for the reply. Good information to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12