Fiberglass Pickup Shells or Possible Enclosed Trailer Bodies - TEXAS

Revco

Adventurer
I just picked up two fiberglass delivery boxes, and will be using them to move into a new house next month. I'm just going to load them up with all my antique car parts and misc tools/equipment, then unload them after I get settled into the new place. I thought about keeping them for outside storage, but they'll take up too much space next to the garage. So I figure I'll offer them up here to see if there's any interest before I list them for sale locally after the move.

These are fiberglass shells, made to replace the pickup bed on small/mid size trucks. Overall length is 90", Overall width is 68", and Height it about 5' tall. They both have double swing out rear doors with windows, and a door on each side with no windows, and they have window openings at the front so they can have a window or a boot into the pickup cab, these had a boot, so they are open right now. All doors are lockable. They were used on flower delivery trucks originally, then used as storage for an auto repair shop, which is where I picked them up from this week.

They are both made by Un-Common Carrier Corp out of Jackson, MS. They have taillights and side marker lights, as well as wheel wells. Being watertight with plenty of access to the inside via the multiple doors, I figure these would make great pickup shells or could be used as trailers if you built a trailer frame or got the right size trailer to mount one of these on.

Right now they are ugly and dirty. One is white, one is black. Both have remnants of painted logos and decals for the flower shop. I will be cleaning them up, sanding them down, and spraying a coat of paint with an HVLP gun so they aren't eye sores outside my shop or my new home. I'm also going to seal up the front windows using a sheet of Lexan with RTV sealant, so they can be watertight during my use, but easily converted back to the open window. I was going to build a steel perimeter cradle with 4 pneumatic caster wheels to make it easy to roll these around, but I've decided I'll just keep it simple...clean them up and use them, then get rid of them.

Selling them for what I paid, which is $550 each, but I'll take $1000 for both. Located in Austin, Texas. These will be ready for pickup by the end of June. I could easily build a trailer frame for each one with 3500lb axles and some offroad tires and sell them for gobs more as "Expedition Trailers" , but I don't want to spend the time since I have 4 other project cars that need more attention, plus the house that needs a ton of work, and a small business to run.

If you are insterested, please PM me. I will get some photos in the next few days when I get a chance and post them here. They are sitting on my car hauler trailer right now, and when I make some room in the shop, I'll put them inside for the quick makeover and start loading them up with my stuff.

Revco

Adventurer
Took these photos this morning...

IMG_20120505_082832.jpg

IMG_20120505_082919.jpg

IMG_20120505_082857.jpg

Dwb

How much do these things weigh? I have a m101a3 I have planning to convert into a offroad camping trailer. Thinking these might work.....

Revco

Adventurer
I'm not sure how much they weigh. Both are about half full of junk right now, and it took 2 of us to load them onto my trailer. When I was checking them out, I flipped one over on it's side by myself by rocking it over so I could inspect the bottom side. So...they're not terribly heavy, but they are stout.

I'll probably start stripping them down and painting them next week, unless someone wants to buy one or both now. Once I get to work on them, they won't be available until after I get settled into the new place, and who know's I might change my mind about selling them or I might end up building some trailer frames for them and sell them for much more. So if anyone is interested...let me know ASAP. I've gotten a few PM's about these, and even had my neighbors at my warehouse asking about them to use on their top-drive hunting trucks.

I'd consider trading both units for a 16' tandem axle flatbed trailer or a 12'-16' livestock bumper pull trailer, but trades would have to happen before I move at the end of this month. I haven't advertised anywhere but here, but I might toss an ad on craigslist next week before I get to work on them. I really only bought them to use for transporting my tools and car parts to the new house and storing extra stuff outside the garage until I get 1200sqft of warehouse stuffed and organized into a 540sqft garage. :Wow1:

Also, I think there are two wind deflector things that mount on the front of these things or on the cab of the truck stored inside one of them, but I haven't had a chance to clean out the junk inside and inspect them....but it looks like that's what those things were.

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
Ok. I had a friend over last night to help unload the black one from my trailer. I just went into the shop a few minutes ago and snapped these pics and took better measurements. Both of these units are identical, as well as in similar condition. I have had quite alot of interest in these, not only from here, but locally as well, and I haven't even listed the for sale anywhere but here.

These are the body measurements...
Front to Back, 89-1/4" Long (Not counting the ~1" thick rear door frame/assembly)
Side to Side, 64-3/8" Wide (Again, not counting the doors on the sides)
Top to Bottom, 56" Tall (From bottom of the trim at the bottom, to the top of the flat roof)

Here are the photos...

IMG_20120512_143341.jpg

IMG_20120512_143353.jpg

IMG_20120512_143412.jpg

IMG_20120512_143436.jpg

IMG_20120512_143450.jpg

IMG_20120512_143503.jpg

IMG_20120512_143511.jpg

IMG_20120512_143548.jpg

IMG_20120512_143601.jpg

Revco

Adventurer
I still have these. No longer going to use them for a move, change of plans. I need to sell them quick and get some space back. I've completely sanded down the black one and shot it in gray primer through an HVLP spray gun, not a rattle can. The white one will get the same treatment soon. I will be posting these for sale locally in the next couple of days. Price is $550 each, or $1000 for both. I'm firm on the individual prices, but willing to negotiate on the price for the pair if the deal can be smooth and quick.

Revco

Adventurer
Lots of interest on these, still no money in my hands. I'll make someone a hell of deal on the pair, I need them gone ASAP. They will get listed locally this weekend. PM me.

Revco

Adventurer
Last bump before these get stuffed with car parts in the next couple of weeks. If nobody acts fast they'll be filled up and relocated to the new house and won't be for sale until I get them emptied and get the parts organized in the new garage.

For those far away, shipping one or both of these shouldn't be as bad as you think. I had a non-rolling race car chassis/body shipped from Kansas to Austin, TX for $350 and I was quoted $475 to ship a truck from Fresno,CA to Austin, TX. These don't weigh much, maybe about as much as a fullsize pickup bed.

If I don't get any interest by this weekend, they'll be taken off the market for a while. PM me if serious, I don't have much more time before I start filling them up.

I could deliver, but the cost of fuel in a big block 4x4 Suburban is something you DON'T want to pay... ;)

Revco

Adventurer
Alright, the black one has been repainted with blck gloss enamel and is currently full of car parts. It won't be for sale for a while.

The white one, hasn't been touched, and is exactly as you see it in the photos, I just unloaded it off the trailer, nothing else has been done to it.

I'll sell it as it sits right now for $450 so I don't have to move it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles