Thread: Peach Valley adobe hills wildflowers in Colorado

Default Peach Valley adobe hills wildflowers in Colorado

Bone dry! Bone dry! Bone dry in southwestern Colorado this past winter and ongoing spring. But still there are some desert wildflowers though they are stunted and shriveled and going fast unless it rains soon. Gonna be a very tough summer for wildlife, livestock, and plants unless we start getting some moisture soon and have a good summer monsoon. Went exploring wildflowers in Peach Valley which is dry adobe hills and plains just west of the Gunnison Gorge area in SW Colorado. Some beautiful wildflowers amidst the already cracking and shriveling adobe soil amazingly enough in our drought. Nature is tough and "weathers" the dry periods somehow with a little color.PeachValleyWFMay2,2012 022.jpgPeachValleyWFMay2,2012 015.jpgPeachValleyWFMay2,2012 011.JPGPeachValleyWFMay2,2012 010.JPGPeachValleyWFMay2,2012 002.JPG

Default More Peach Valley wildflowers

More color in a bone dry year
    Attached Images Attached Images

more color

desert flowers

More desert wildflowers and views of the San Juan Mountains to the SE and South. Looks like a lot of snow but it's only 20-25% of the normal snow pack. The runoff such as it is will be meager and of short duration. The mountains and deserts of Utah especially southern Utah are just as dry if not worse. SE Utah has a snow pack listed as 1% of normal.

A few more flowers plus a dramatically full desert oasis that I don't know how is so full this year.

Absolutely beautiful! I love this area! Great pictures too! I live very near Peach Valley, would ya be interested in having a tag along on your next outing?

Quote Originally Posted by tatuedrednek View Post
    Absolutely beautiful! I love this area! Great pictures too! I live very near Peach Valley, would ya be interested in having a tag along on your next outing?
    That would be fine. I was figuring on going out this Sunday morning and look for more flowers along the rim of the Gunnison Gorge.

Dry is an understatement. Thanks for the great pictures!
    '92 Range Rover
    '93 Range Rover LWB
    '71 Mercedes 220 Diesel - The daily Beast

That sounds good to me! Been wanting to get out but the girlfriends work schedule means I'll have to go alone. Where and when would you want to hook up on Sunday?
    96 Jeep Cherokee, 4" lift, 31-10.50s, Custom built front, rear bumper, and sliders. OBA, Locrite locker in the rear, Safari roofrack with 6" KC lights, ARB awning, and custom roof mount spare.