Car camping via plane: Cave Creek wanderings, Toroweap and a few AZ strip points.

gm13

Adventurer
That's a nice one. If it's any consolation, I didn't drive straight to it either.

I haven't stayed at Crazy Jug but at Monument just to the west instead due to "crowds". Monument is always windy. How was Crazy Jug?
Yeah it is.

A group a three people stopped in midday Sunday, we chatted for 1/2hr then they headed out, only folks we saw.
A bit windy till around midnight the first night, the Juniper helped as it was southeasterly. 2nd night was calm.

gm13

Adventurer
6996057638_0d918fb203_b.jpg

I heard what sounded like an electric motor whirring above, look up to see California Condor #74 soaring close by, checking our state of decay:
7142142461_a9b07a2b33_b.jpg

That's an impressive wingspan. Perfect setting for it too, felt pretty lucky.
6996056244_30a948d7fb_b.jpg

7142144427_1fe834ed75_b.jpg

7142144587_8da5ed02eb_b.jpg

It was a hard place to leave but we had to start heading back. On the way we sighted a Kaibab Squirrel and what we thought was a Mexican Gray wolf because its tailed was carried horizontally, but I'm pretty sure it was a coyote. Our intended last night was going to be spent at White Pocket but we got the news in Fredonia that our new niece had made an early, emergency entry into the world and we zipped back east to meet her, though not before spending 2 hrs at the self serve car wash getting rid of the evidence.

Can't wait to return with more time and in our 110. We really enjoyed it even if we only managed to get to half the sites we thought we might. Taking the time to enjoy a few places is the way we like to go anyway. That mentality is sometimes hard to maintain amid so much possibility and only a short trip. Thanks for wading through the sea of photos and apologies for the dearth of expo bling in them, we really had none:)
Gene

Last edited:

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I have been out to Toroweap twice, maybe about 20+ years ago, thanks for the great photos to bring back some good memories of my visits.
Nice report and keep those great pics coming in the future.

gm13

Adventurer
I have been out to Toroweap twice, maybe about 20+ years ago, thanks for the great photos to bring back some good memories of my visits.
Nice report and keep those great pics coming in the future.

Glad you enjoyed and I hope to

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Your fly/rent/drive trip report is great....I really like that you planned & executed a really nice trip and didn't whine about the distance or hassles.

I think your style trip could really be a model for others.

Great pics also!

gm13

Adventurer
Your fly/rent/drive trip report is great....I really like that you planned & executed a really nice trip and didn't whine about the distance or hassles.

I think your style trip could really be a model for others.

Great pics also!

Funny, being used to an 11hr drive through the urban hell that is the seaboard of the NE into the mid-Atlantic area, the 1400+ miles we put on out there were nothing. Love driving through that landscape. Glad you liked it, thanks, to ETAV8R also.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Thanks for the great images. We were in No. 7 at Toroweap a week previous. You've captured great light there.

CLynn85

Explorer
Very cool trip, thanks for sharing. Whenever I'm out on the other coast for work I always try to work in the opportunity to upgrade to a SUV and take a minimalist setup out for some quality back country time, so I enjoyed seeing your strategy for making a whole week/trip out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles