Hangers, I need some input.

SoldierSpike

So I'm getting ready to start building my '08 taco into an overlander,but unlike many people I've seen on here I prefer sleeping in a hammock to sleeping on the "ground" (cot, pad etc.)
So I was wondering what the other hangers use for the tie off points, assuming trees are unavailable.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

JackW

Explorer
I have a 12" long piece of webbing with a loop at each end and a caribiner that goes around a corner of my roof rack - the other end is usually tied off to a tree or someone else's vehicle using a web tie down strap - basically any fixed object that's around six feet tall or more. I have an old Mexican hammock that I bought almost 36 years ago that I keep in my truck - comes in handy for afternoon siestas and sets up in about 30 seconds.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I became a big believer in the hammock while traveling with NLX in Guatemala earlier this year. They use jungle hammocks that use a suspension system made from winch line that they swear by, It happens to be made my a member of this forum. Whatever you choose, you want simplicity, adjustability and NO-STRETCH (which is what makes winch line so good)! Any material that stretches under weight you will end up hating, because you'll need to have it too high up to be just enough off the ground.

SoldierSpike

I'm already using whoopie slings, made from 7/64 amsteel blue, on a warbonnet blackbird with a Te-Wa underquilt & Golite top quilt with a cuben fiber taro. I just need to figure out a good attachment system for vehicle mounting it on one end at least, though I'd prefer to have a somewhat self contained setup.

Yudda

Adventurer
Killer gear you have there. I use a Hennesey Asym ultralight.

Why not a bipod for the non truck side?
Google.... hammock Bipod.

i would make one out of quality steel or aluminum tubing.....like this:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=316259

Basically all you need are 2 poles.

Hope it helps and keep us informed...i would like to see what you come up with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne