Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire issues - Dry rot?

Default Tire issues - Dry rot?

So when I bought my truck it appeared to have a pretty old set of tires on it. They are not worn absolutely to nothing though. The fronts are probably 3-4mm away from the wear bars, and the rears maybe have 50% more. I was PM'ing a guy on here about how my truck felt rather more like a rocking boat then I thought it should, even as a Disco. He suggested that my (admittedly very tired) stock suspension and tires were probably the issues. When I told him about the tires, he told me they were dry rotted and were probably unsafe. I looked up how to read the DOT number for their age. The fronts were made in 03, and the rears/spare 05. Is that too old? Here are some pictures of their condition. I don't really have the funds for new tires right now, but if it were really an issue I was thinking of finding a decent set of used tires to tide me over. Not sure what to do with the suspension. Again, don't have the 750+shipping to Canada to drop on an OME suspension currently. I know the rear shock bushings are shot, but the struts themselves still seem to be in okay condition, should be okay. Thanks guys!

Front

Rear

Gratuitous truck shot

'98 Land Rover Disco 1 - BFG AT/KO

I have seem much worse runnin on the road. Would I trust them on along summer trip no. But to get you around for a while sure. The cracks dont look deep I would how ever be on the look out for tire sales and be saving my pennies (well what ever canada calls them)
    2000 5.4 superduty crew cab short box Warn 12m 315 precomp at Are topper
    the whale
    Wrinkles.
    2003 dysfunction (chevy) 1500 4.8 5speed Warn M12000 CE 255 85 16 Bfg Mt custom topper primary camping truck

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe LT loaded leather Dvd 265-70-17 Bfg trail ta plush camping

No way, time for new tires... Running to the corner store, maybe. They are dry rot.

Rick

Those cracks don't look that bad, mine were about that bad from 2009 (manufactured 2008) and the guys at the tire store said honestly they have a looonng ways to go considering that there are many, many layers until you get to the steel belt, and a few more until the inner rubber after that steel belt.

You should be good. Then they also say though that tires over 4-5 years old that have been subjected to constant UV rays are at risk, but at that rate you will just have a slow leak.

As always, don't take what we say as gospel, it's only based on experience. Get a tire shop to give you some advice, most are honest and aren't out to make you spend tons of money you don't need to.
    1998 mitsubishi montero sport 4x4 5spd 33x10.5x15 KM2s, 2" lift
    rock climber, cultural researcher
    Build thread

No way, replace them before you go any farther/ faster than a trip down the block to the store.

It's just not worth it. they are dry rot and will come apart on you.

My advice to you would be to replace the tires and rear shocks now so it's a safe driver. then save for the suspension you want, if you cant get that now.

Also, just take a look at the body damage that a tire can do when the tread separates at speed, that alone could pay for a new set.
    See more, Do more, Live more.

My used Coopers looked great upon first inspection then in 5k miles looked like this!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

All cowardice comes from not loving, or not loving well, which is the same thing. EH

Replace! Definitely time... I had a 2 door Tahoe with 35" BFG A/T's that had great tread, but were dry rotted just like yours. I came out to the parking lot after work to find the Tahoe trying to lift its right rear tire... the front left was DEAD... the sidewall had a developed a decent sized slice from one of those cracks.

I had the left front throw it's tread (not a retread) while I was travelling at freeway speed in my motor home. The tires were eight years old and looked great. Most manufacturers suggest that 7 years is about the life expectancy regardless of the amount of tread remaining. Until my incident, I thought it was just another scheme to separate me from my money. Now, I am a believer.

In the name of common sense, safety and limiting liability change em out!
    1999 GMC K2500 BURBAN, NAVISTAR enhanced 6.5 td aftercooled, dual alt's, PSC p/s pump w/HD cooler, redundant FSD's, HEATH program, turbine/downpipe wrapped, 4" SS exhaust, real time OBD2 data logging w/device controller, EVANS waterless coolant @ zero (0) psi & 135 gpm pump, 4L80e w/kevlar and premium steel w/cryo treated input/output shafts running @ 100 deg. F & 140 deg F towing, all synthetic fluids, AMSOIL bypass system, MileMarker hydro, dual fuel tanks, and on and on, questions PM me.

Wow. Okay guys, thanks for the input! The tires have moved to the top of my list to get replaced! Not sure what size/type i will use yet though.
    '98 Land Rover Disco 1 - BFG AT/KO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast