Tire issues - Dry rot?

JeremyT101

Adventurer
So when I bought my truck it appeared to have a pretty old set of tires on it. They are not worn absolutely to nothing though. The fronts are probably 3-4mm away from the wear bars, and the rears maybe have 50% more. I was PM'ing a guy on here about how my truck felt rather more like a rocking boat then I thought it should, even as a Disco. He suggested that my (admittedly very tired) stock suspension and tires were probably the issues. When I told him about the tires, he told me they were dry rotted and were probably unsafe. I looked up how to read the DOT number for their age. The fronts were made in 03, and the rears/spare 05. Is that too old? Here are some pictures of their condition. I don't really have the funds for new tires right now, but if it were really an issue I was thinking of finding a decent set of used tires to tide me over. Not sure what to do with the suspension. Again, don't have the 750+shipping to Canada to drop on an OME suspension currently. I know the rear shock bushings are shot, but the struts themselves still seem to be in okay condition, should be okay. Thanks guys!

Front

DSC_2382.jpg

DSC_2383.jpg

Rear

DSC_2384.jpg

DSC_2385.jpg

Gratuitous truck shot

DSC_2386.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have seem much worse runnin on the road. Would I trust them on along summer trip no. But to get you around for a while sure. The cracks dont look deep I would how ever be on the look out for tire sales and be saving my pennies (well what ever canada calls them)

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Those cracks don't look that bad, mine were about that bad from 2009 (manufactured 2008) and the guys at the tire store said honestly they have a looonng ways to go considering that there are many, many layers until you get to the steel belt, and a few more until the inner rubber after that steel belt.

You should be good. Then they also say though that tires over 4-5 years old that have been subjected to constant UV rays are at risk, but at that rate you will just have a slow leak.

As always, don't take what we say as gospel, it's only based on experience. Get a tire shop to give you some advice, most are honest and aren't out to make you spend tons of money you don't need to.

Heading Out

Adventurer
No way, replace them before you go any farther/ faster than a trip down the block to the store.

It's just not worth it. they are dry rot and will come apart on you.

My advice to you would be to replace the tires and rear shocks now so it's a safe driver. then save for the suspension you want, if you cant get that now.

Also, just take a look at the body damage that a tire can do when the tread separates at speed, that alone could pay for a new set.

DoWorkSon

Replace! Definitely time... I had a 2 door Tahoe with 35" BFG A/T's that had great tread, but were dry rotted just like yours. I came out to the parking lot after work to find the Tahoe trying to lift its right rear tire... the front left was DEAD... the sidewall had a developed a decent sized slice from one of those cracks.

GlennA

Adventurer
I had the left front throw it's tread (not a retread) while I was travelling at freeway speed in my motor home. The tires were eight years old and looked great. Most manufacturers suggest that 7 years is about the life expectancy regardless of the amount of tread remaining. Until my incident, I thought it was just another scheme to separate me from my money. Now, I am a believer.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Wow. Okay guys, thanks for the input! The tires have moved to the top of my list to get replaced! Not sure what size/type i will use yet though.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Also my biggest problem right now is that my dad seems to think that my tires are totally fine as they arn't super low into the tread. Obviously being my truck, and my life I have the responsibility to do whats right. And yes, its my money. I gotta work on him. Maybe if I take it to a good tire shop, they can shed more light on the subject.

I have been considering the Hankook Dynapro ATM, and BFG A/T KO because they both come in the 235/70/16 stock size. I would maybe go GY duratrac, but they only come in 235/85 or 245/75 and with no lift, those ain't gunna work.

Anything I can tell him to maybe open him up a bit?

scrubber3

Not really here
Take it offroad on some rocks. If they are weak, they will fail. If they are good, they should survive. You can abuse them and cause the side walls to fail. That should be reason enough to get new ones.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I have been considering the Hankook Dynapro ATM, and BFG A/T KO because they both come in the 235/70/16 stock size. I would maybe go GY duratrac, but they only come in 235/85 or 245/75 and with no lift, those ain't gunna work.

The DuraTrac also comes in a 225/75-16 which should be the same height as your stock 235/70, but 10mm (about 1/2") narrower. Also of note, the tire is available in a 215/85-16 that will give you the height of a 245/75-16, but may work with the stock suspension as it's considerably narrower.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
The DuraTrac also comes in a 225/75-16 which should be the same height as your stock 235/70, but 10mm (about 1/2") narrower. Also of note, the tire is available in a 215/85-16 that will give you the height of a 245/75-16, but may work with the stock suspension as it's considerably narrower.

Hum, that is very true. And they are on special in that size at crappy tire for 165$/tire (60$ off a tire). And narrow tires do tend to look good on the LR, but is 225 Too narrow? Most people tend to like 245/265. But the narrowness would probably help with gas mileage. Still a good deal though.

Edit. Though, I think that tire size is technically too small for my rim anyhow. UK discos came with 16/7" rims which could take 225, but the US Discos came with 16/8" rims so I think those simply might be too wide for the tires.

Last edited:

82fb

Adventurer
Another vote for replace those things if you drive over 40mph. You might get lucky and not have them blow out, but I doubt it. If funds are tight, check craigslist for a few weeks. A set of tires with good sidewalls, and low tread will by much safer than what you have there now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles