200Tdi Dormobile - Denver, CO

gambrinus

Observer
I'm in the process of doing an engine conversion on my 65 Dormobile. 2.25 petrol is coming out, along with the series tranny and xfer case. Engine bottom end is toast, but the head was re-done with hardened valve seats etc to run on unleaded fuel. Approx 20k miles on the head, and it's for sale. Tranny and xfer case also on the market.

Engine work on the 200Tdi that's on the schedule for now is to replace the rear main seal and the timing belt.. once that's done, we'll start attacking the "to do" list of fitting the 200Tdi / LT 77 / LT230 into my rig. The LT230 will be getting the part time 4X4 conversion. fun fun fun.

RW

gambrinus

Observer
I got a complete package out of a mid 90s Defender. 200Tdi / LT77 / LT230 The LT230 is getting a 1.003 gear set and a pt time 4x4 conversion. This will allow me to keep the 4.7 diffs. 70mph will be under 3,000 rpm.

gambrinus

Observer
Parts needed to service the "new" engine while it's on the stand have been ordered. Now to wait.... Plan is to replace the timing belt and a slightly worn water pump before setting the engine in. Also been trading emails with Dave Ashcroft regarding some options with my xfer box. Should be fun!

RW

gambrinus

Observer
200Tdi Dormobile Project

GusEngine.jpg Here is my helper Gus hard at work. The lesson for the day was "Fractions". Yes, 9/16 is bigger than 1/2...

EngineFloor.jpg Tired old 2.25 on the floor of my garage. Everything that's re-usable has been removed and waiting for my buddy to come pick up.

Current status of the 200Tdi is that it's on an engine stand at the mechanic's shop. Parts ( timing belt, rear main seal, gasket set etc ) are on the way from Paddocks. Hopefully we can start prepping the new engine in the next couple of weeks. Once it's ready, I'll have the truck transported over there so the real fun can begin.

RW

ColoDisco

Explorer
Never heard of him but I like to have people to refer. Being a technician I do all my own work.
Plan on keeping a eye on this build! Wife likes the old series, I of course like the 110.

Keep the pics coming!

Funrover

Expedition Leader
A dorm here in CO!!!! Man I would love to see one in person! Have fun with this project, it is a dream of mine to have one some day so I will be following this!

gambrinus

Observer
There are currently three here in the Denver area.... was a 4th for a bit but it proved to be too much of a "fixer' up" project for the owner so it's off in AZ now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles