Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Rally Planning - Belize and Guatemala

Default Post Rally Planning - Belize and Guatemala

As most of you know, because of logistics and timing, we think it's better to end the Rally in Mexico near some ruins that will not be overwhelmed with bus and tourists...we have a lead on an awesome location, right next to a lake and near some great Mayan ruins that are not overdevelopped.

But in the unlikely event that the world does not end on 12/21, we are planning to keep going into Belize and Guatemala.

I am thinking we could setup camp in Belize to spend Christmas, and then perhaps even celebrate NYE in Tikal.

I am curious to gather your input - who's interested in exploring some more?
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

At this point I am not to sure I will even be going. If I do though, continuing south is certainly on my "to-do" list.
    My YouTube channel
    1991 FJ80: Vortec 5.7L v8, FZJ80 locked axles, 4L60e trans, split case and plenty more!
    1988 FJ62: TD-S/C-I/C diesel, NV4500, Atlas T-case, portal axles, FZJ80 chassis and lot's more! A long term work in progress.

My wife and I will definetly be continuing south after the rally.

I'd like to follow the tracks of unURBAN Adventures thru the jungle between Tikal and Uaxactun but not willing to go at at alone.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...rip#post847563

Interested?

We are undecided at this point whether to cut back across to the pacific or head south, but it seems like south through Belize/Guatemala might be easier than backtracking...
    Either way, we will likely getting out of the cancun area as fast as we can and back to beaches without the masses!
    driving our 67 VW bus through mexico, central america and beyond!
    www.theDangerz

We are looking at heading south after the rally and are interested in taking roads less travelled..

In keeping with tradition my career continues to get in the way my dreams of extended vacations.
    Back in May it seemed like everything would work out but now as the date gets closer things have changed and I'll have to be back in VA sooner than I'd like.
    We'll probably duck into Belize after the the rally is finished but I don't think we'll be headed any further south.
    Maybe we'll be able to live the dream after the 2013 Maya Rally.

I think the next rally should be a Alaskan RALLY!!! it should be different every year.. the mayans will be old news after we get done with them!!1
    Make your time count "AS YOU CAN'T COUNT ON TIME"

Im in for the Alaskan Rally...I'm going up there in Summer so if its about the same time this year I will probably still be staying with ED...yep...do the math Ed...that's about 3 months of JOY...

Originally I planned on heading to Belize as well. But do to work constraints I will need to head back towards the US a day or so once the Rally is over. Is anyone else also doing this? Would be nice to travel with a group back to the boarder

Quote Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
    I think the next rally should be a Alaskan RALLY!!! it should be different every year.. the mayans will be old news after we get done with them!!1
    actually that's a great idea!
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast