"Old Man's Toy" offroad teardrop trailer

old_man

Adventurer
A trick NC boat builders use for bending plywood over tight curves is to cut many shallow, parallel grooves into the backside of the plywood which allows the inside layer(s) to bend over a tighter radius without any of the layers cracking. Marine plywood also has more layers per thickness that other plywood, which means each layer is thinner and can bend better.

JPK

Thanks for the input. The problem here in Colorado is that there isn't much of a demand for marine grade plywood so it is hard to find (expensive). I though about grooving the rear, but ended up just thinning it a bit with a sander. I just wish I could get the Baltic burch in larger sizes than the 5'x5'. The next one will be made an inch shorter in order to save a ton on plywood.

fireball

Explorer
Call around and ask the high end cabinet shops where they get their materials. I'm sure there's a supplier somewhere relatively close. Lots of high end houses in those areas, they aren't using melamine for their cabinetry! :)

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Another option for tight radii work is bending ply (see links below). Personally I'd use two layers of 1/8" bending ply with West Systems epoxy in between. The epoxy will slightly penetrate the ply and when everything is cured it will be like armor plating! You'd have to look but I'm sure a commercial plywood distributor in your area would carry this.

http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/columbia-radius-bending-plywood/
https://www.plywoodcompany.com/application/home/itemdetails.aspx?categoryid=24&itemid=163

ae racer

Following this build on Naxja but wont let me post there(assuming because im not a red letter). Anyways, you had mentioned that next time around you are going to adjust the size by 1". I was wondering what the frame dimensions are. This build has inspired me to possibly start my own build down the road. Looking forward to more updates.

jaydon44

Observer
Could you tell me how long your axle is from hub to hub? not sure how wide im going with my own project and seeing pictures on here along with measurements helps alot

Thanks!

old_man

Adventurer
Could you tell me how long your axle is from hub to hub? not sure how wide im going with my own project and seeing pictures on here along with measurements helps alot

Thanks!
I will see if I can measure it. I don't remember off hand.

old_man

Adventurer
Shieth%20Drivers%20Side_zpsu5mdclqw.jpg

Shieth%20Passenger%20Side_zpsoxavezzv.jpg

Rear%20No%20Cabinets_zpspsobtuzf.jpg

old_man

Adventurer
Hopefully I can get this done in the next week or so. We are moving and it would be really nice to have finished it up. When I started I didn't expect to end up working out of town for 18 months, then come back and work 70+ hours for over a year. Then I got sick with the flu that degenerated into pneumonia. I have been sicker than a dog for 3+ months. It seems like everything has ganged up on me getting this finished.

I will try and take some more pix and get them posted. I finished the rear hatch and got it all mounted, along with the handles and latches and rear taillights. All I need to do is finish some cabinets and stick down some carpet but when you are packing to move and sick, it is hard to make much progress.

Septu

Explorer
Looks good!!

Question. Any concerns over how far back the kitchen counter sits? Seems like it could be a ways back to lean over and deal with food prep.

old_man

Adventurer
Finally getting past working out of state for a year and a half, two surgeries for me and two for the wife, getting my last daughter married off, moving, and working 60 hours a week. You know, just normal life.

I am only a few days from being done if I can finish it before my surgery for a blown out knee.

I am finishing off the built in cabinets. I stick built everything, including the drawers.

I will see about posting up a pix of some neat cabinet latches I found and am using.

20160820_211336_zpsk7hvlcch.jpg

20160822_062848_zpsavgpij1i.jpg

20160822_062858_zpsopq6il4k.jpg

20160822_062906_zpsjb0n6xlk.jpg

20160822_062931_zpscqkbhwrz.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Good looking build, sometimes life gets in the way of building but it's good to see you are back on track. Any pictures of the inside?

old_man

Adventurer
The inside is still just the plywood. As soon as the cabinets are done, I will be carpeting the whole interior. From there I will be adding some grab bars just to help moving around inside. I can't mount the door until the carpet is in.

The one real luxury I am putting in it for the wife is DirecTV and a sound system.

Just a note for you folks using MDF for your cabinets. Buy twice as much paint as you think. It is like painting a sponge. The cut edges are the worst. A tip, get some spackling and rub it on the cut sections and let it dry. A light sand before painting and it will really help.

I am painting with oil based Rustoleum because of how tuff it is and how it will clean up. I will have used almost a gallon exclusively on the shelves, doors and frames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior