Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun storage...thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyfromAL View Post
    Carrying it on you is the best way.
    I agree completely and that is how I carry handguns in my trucks; however there are several states where you may legally carry a weapon in your car without having a concealed handgun license, so there are situations for some people who may not be able to carry on their person but still wish to have it in their vehicle.
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I agree completely and that is how I carry handguns in my trucks; however there are several states where you may legally carry a weapon in your car without having a concealed handgun license, so there are situations for some people who may not be able to carry on their person but still wish to have it in their vehicle.
    The problem with mounting it under the steering column is it's out of sight. If its illegal to put it under a shirt for you, I don't recommend mounting it under your steering column.

...the panhandle...and it is wonderful!!!
    Thanks for the info/posts. I was looking for all types of gun storage since I have a pistol, rifle, and shotgun. I was just thinking a general thread on "gun storage" having it understood that a pistol would be better if it was on the person (which is how I prefer to store my pistol). I just wanted to throw some ideas out there for everyone to consider for their specific situations. Thanks again for the thoughts and info!
    Sola Scriptura
    Sola Fide
    Sola Gratia
    Solus Christus
    Soli Deo gloria

www.alwaysbeready.com

We have a Tuffy Security Products console in our FJ Cruiser. While not advertised as a concealed carry console it is very well built and has the usual serious Tuffy locking mechanisms they are known for. As important as the locking mechanism is the attaching hardware, the Tuffy FJC console bolts to two stock mounting points and a third point right through the floor. Personally I carry my Sig p220 .45 everyday and I feel confident leaving it stowed in the console when I am not able to carry it on my person. While hunting or on the way to camp I can carry my Sig along with my Smith & Wesson 29-2 .44 magnum 6.5in barrel.
    Factor55andTuffy506.jpg
    On other occasions I have had the 29-2 and my Ruger Vaquero .45 Long Colt safely stowed in the console.
    Factor55andTuffy505.jpg
    I am not just pushing Tuffy Security Products because we sell them, rather because they are the only way for me to feel confident leaving a weapon locked in an unattended vehicle short of removing a cylinder or slide.
    Obviously you must be conscious of all local and state laws when having a firearm in a vehicle loaded or unloaded.
    Checkout our Store & Blog: www.mainlineoverland.com
    Follow Us: Facebook & Twitter
    Vehicles:
    2009 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    2011 Kawasaki KLR650
    1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

May not be the best solution, but my rifle fits into my storage drawers in the back of my 4runner. The 4th gens have an electric rear hatch lock. If the alarm is triggered the rear door won't open, which in turn holds my drawers closed. Now someone could unscrew 50 or so torx screws holding the top on, but then they would have to know it was in there.

The holster the OP first pictured is perfect for those long journeys and quick access but I would not call it "storage". Being in plain sight is a good way to get stolen and no one wants that. I've seen a pic or two of that style before and really need to find where you can get 'em.

I use the Tuffy underseat conceal box. Perfect for the function. I use it for my wallet when on the trail or to hold my pistol when I run into the post office or court house.

I also have the full Tuffy center console which works as well.

Not sure what they offer for a taco but I'm sure they do.
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

Quote Originally Posted by dorton View Post
    The problem with mounting it under the steering column is it's out of sight. If its illegal to put it under a shirt for you, I don't recommend mounting it under your steering column.
    It all depends on the state law. In Texas for example, anyone can have a handgun in their car, and it does not have to be in sight.
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

...the panhandle...and it is wonderful!!!
    Sola Scriptura
    Sola Fide
    Sola Gratia
    Solus Christus
    Soli Deo gloria

www.alwaysbeready.com

Arizona, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, depends on the time of year.
    Something to think about.....regardless of guns laws concerning carry of pistols on your vehicle, the cops need a judge approved search warrant to gain access to and search a locked, mounted container in your car or truck.

That is why someing like a locked Tuffy box is a good choice.

Cops, for their own safety, can freely look into open or concealed areas in your car when they stop you if those areas are within the "reach an grab" distance of the driver or passengers. Otherwise they need your consent to search further (which you should NEVER give), or unless you are arrested for something and then they can reasonably search your vehicle to "inventory it."

But to gain access into a locked mounted box, they need your key and your permission......or they need a search warrant and probable cause to get the warrant to open the box. And Not consenting to a voluntary search of your vehicle IS NOT PROBABLE CAUSE for a warrant to be issued.

NEVER, NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle.....make the police try to get a warrant (good luck there--what is their reason?), make sure you tell them they do NOT have your consent, then if they do an illegal search you have a defense to any concealed weapons charge.

Use a mounted locked metal box, keep the key in the lock when you are driving, if you are pulled over, turn the key and lock the box and then stash the key somewhere safe (in your crotch?).

Arizona, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, depends on the time of year.

Default Another good strategy

Another idea......buy and carry a Mossberg 500 shotgun with the interchangeable barrels, or get a Henry or Ruger take- apart .22.

Keep the guns disassembled (barrels off).

This way they are not considered "operable" firearms and you can store them pretty much anywhere you want in most states.

If you need to get to the guns to defend yourself, it takes mere seconds to screw the barrels on them and make them lethal weapons.

The new Ruger take-apart 10/22 can run 50 rounds through It, with the extended magazine in place, almost as fast as a machine gun. This rifle, perhaps with a folding stock, is the one of the best defense weapons to keep in your vehicle legally dis-assembled.

Grab the rifle, twist the barrel on, shove in the 30-50 round clip and let it rip!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast