Gun storage...thoughts???

toymaster

Explorer
The holster the OP first pictured is perfect for those long journeys and quick access but I would not call it "storage". Being in plain sight is a good way to get stolen and no one wants that. I've seen a pic or two of that style before and really need to find where you can get 'em.

I use the Tuffy underseat conceal box. Perfect for the function. I use it for my wallet when on the trail or to hold my pistol when I run into the post office or court house.

IMG-20110921-00220-M.jpg

IMG-20110921-00222-M.jpg

I also have the full Tuffy center console which works as well.

IMG-20110921-00195-M.jpg

Not sure what they offer for a taco but I'm sure they do.

Expedition Leader
The problem with mounting it under the steering column is it's out of sight. If its illegal to put it under a shirt for you, I don't recommend mounting it under your steering column.

It all depends on the state law. In Texas for example, anyone can have a handgun in their car, and it does not have to be in sight.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Something to think about.....regardless of guns laws concerning carry of pistols on your vehicle, the cops need a judge approved search warrant to gain access to and search a locked, mounted container in your car or truck.

That is why someing like a locked Tuffy box is a good choice.

Cops, for their own safety, can freely look into open or concealed areas in your car when they stop you if those areas are within the "reach an grab" distance of the driver or passengers. Otherwise they need your consent to search further (which you should NEVER give), or unless you are arrested for something and then they can reasonably search your vehicle to "inventory it."

But to gain access into a locked mounted box, they need your key and your permission......or they need a search warrant and probable cause to get the warrant to open the box. And Not consenting to a voluntary search of your vehicle IS NOT PROBABLE CAUSE for a warrant to be issued.

NEVER, NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle.....make the police try to get a warrant (good luck there--what is their reason?), make sure you tell them they do NOT have your consent, then if they do an illegal search you have a defense to any concealed weapons charge.

Use a mounted locked metal box, keep the key in the lock when you are driving, if you are pulled over, turn the key and lock the box and then stash the key somewhere safe (in your crotch?).

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Another good strategy

Another idea......buy and carry a Mossberg 500 shotgun with the interchangeable barrels, or get a Henry or Ruger take- apart .22.

Keep the guns disassembled (barrels off).

This way they are not considered "operable" firearms and you can store them pretty much anywhere you want in most states.

If you need to get to the guns to defend yourself, it takes mere seconds to screw the barrels on them and make them lethal weapons.

The new Ruger take-apart 10/22 can run 50 rounds through It, with the extended magazine in place, almost as fast as a machine gun. This rifle, perhaps with a folding stock, is the one of the best defense weapons to keep in your vehicle legally dis-assembled.

Grab the rifle, twist the barrel on, shove in the 30-50 round clip and let it rip!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
gun storage

I have tuffy consoles in my FJ's but I have this in my Accord for when I can't take my pistol with me.

Attachments

• 2012-05-08_13-41-07_597.jpg
    2012-05-08_13-41-07_597.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 9
Another idea......buy and carry a Mossberg 500 shotgun with the interchangeable barrels, or get a Henry or Ruger take- apart .22.

Keep the guns disassembled (barrels off).

If you need to get to the guns to defend yourself, it takes mere seconds to screw the barrels on them and make them lethal weapons.

I'm sorry but that's just Not Smart, I can't think of a more polite way to say it. If you have to do that to stay legal then you need to make that a secondary line of defense.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
There is a difference to the right to have a firearm operable and available in your camper when you are stopped and set up for camp, (this is the considered your home) and the right to have the gun available when you are in a vehicle in motion.

So when I stop for the day to set up my camp, I immediately assemble and load my long guns.

Regarding Hillbilly"s above comment, I guess he would rather risk getting arrested and charged with a felony in some states, for carrying a loaded and operable firearm while driving. That to me is "not smart".

The too many state and city laws about traveling with a loaded weapon are so crazy and dissimilar that it makes good sense to me to try to find a way to be completely legal when carrying a gun when one travels.

I have that great book you can get through the NRA that lists every state and their laws for traveling with handguns and long guns. These laws are completely inconsistent even in the gun supporting western states.

So yeah, risk arrest for illegal carry or try a reasonable compromise.

K2ZJ

Explorer
This is not a thread in which I am all that interested in what the laws are...I can go to plenty of places (gun forums, gov sites, etc) to find out what's legal. I just want to get some good ideas and then I'll do the research to see if it fits within the boundaries and if I'm comfortable with the safety of a particular storage setup.

I have long legs so I don't think I would like that there for getting in and out, but they seem pretty good. I also don't like keeping it on me as others have said. The only one on me I like was the chest holster idea. When I have it IWB I can't get to it as fast as I can when it is in the door pocket. Then I put it on when I get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles