Gun storage...thoughts???

sweet trav

Adventurer
This is not a thread in which I am all that interested in what the laws are...I can go to plenty of places (gun forums, gov sites, etc) to find out what's legal. I just want to get some good ideas and then I'll do the research to see if it fits within the boundaries and if I'm comfortable with the safety of a particular storage setup.

To start it off...and it's a toyota...

vehicle_mount2.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a Titan Gun Vault in the battery box of my Horizon. One of the features I like about this safe is it has a secure quick attach/detach mechanism to a mounting plate, so you can get a number of mounting plates and then easily move the safe from one location to another. I image you could do something to mount one in your car/truck if you wanted, but I've not really felt a strong need for that.

vault_accessopenL.jpg

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
I have an overhead rifle rack that bolts to the inside of the vehicle just below the head liner. Holds two rifles paralel with the roof of my jeep. It uses two foam lined cradles with velcro straps, and is pretty reliable.(Sorry no pictures) I've had it up some pretty rough roads, and never had an issue with stuff falling out or banging around. Probably not the best idea if yer tall and have a single cab pick up though as it does eat up some head room. I mounted mine in the rear cargo area of my xj and love it!

TACO721

Observer
OP I see a lot of guys on TW put hand guns where you have yours or (on a 2nd gen) they get a console vult. Saw a guy make some over head rack like thing for rifiles.

dyogim

Explorer
As our 2 kids get older to go out to the back country with me, I wanted something that has a good amount of storage and can securely store my glock from prying hands. I replaced my factory center console for a tuffy lockbox I got on CL for $50.

IMG-20120122-00011.jpg

Carrying it on you is the best way. Out of sight out of mind though. If I had to leave it in the car I would use some kind of gun vault

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Carrying it on you is the best way. Out of sight out of mind though. If I had to leave it in the car I would use some kind of gun vault
This is my suggestion. If you have it mounted there, and had to exit your vehicle you would either have to holster it, carry it in your hand, or leave it in the truck.

Expedition Leader
Carrying it on you is the best way.

I agree completely and that is how I carry handguns in my trucks; however there are several states where you may legally carry a weapon in your car without having a concealed handgun license, so there are situations for some people who may not be able to carry on their person but still wish to have it in their vehicle.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I agree completely and that is how I carry handguns in my trucks; however there are several states where you may legally carry a weapon in your car without having a concealed handgun license, so there are situations for some people who may not be able to carry on their person but still wish to have it in their vehicle.
The problem with mounting it under the steering column is it's out of sight. If its illegal to put it under a shirt for you, I don't recommend mounting it under your steering column.

sweet trav

Adventurer
Thanks for the info/posts. I was looking for all types of gun storage since I have a pistol, rifle, and shotgun. I was just thinking a general thread on "gun storage" having it understood that a pistol would be better if it was on the person (which is how I prefer to store my pistol). I just wanted to throw some ideas out there for everyone to consider for their specific situations. Thanks again for the thoughts and info!

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
We have a Tuffy Security Products console in our FJ Cruiser. While not advertised as a concealed carry console it is very well built and has the usual serious Tuffy locking mechanisms they are known for. As important as the locking mechanism is the attaching hardware, the Tuffy FJC console bolts to two stock mounting points and a third point right through the floor. Personally I carry my Sig p220 .45 everyday and I feel confident leaving it stowed in the console when I am not able to carry it on my person. While hunting or on the way to camp I can carry my Sig along with my Smith & Wesson 29-2 .44 magnum 6.5in barrel.
Factor55andTuffy506.jpg
On other occasions I have had the 29-2 and my Ruger Vaquero .45 Long Colt safely stowed in the console.
Factor55andTuffy505.jpg
I am not just pushing Tuffy Security Products because we sell them, rather because they are the only way for me to feel confident leaving a weapon locked in an unattended vehicle short of removing a cylinder or slide.
Obviously you must be conscious of all local and state laws when having a firearm in a vehicle loaded or unloaded.

java

Expedition Leader
May not be the best solution, but my rifle fits into my storage drawers in the back of my 4runner. The 4th gens have an electric rear hatch lock. If the alarm is triggered the rear door won't open, which in turn holds my drawers closed. Now someone could unscrew 50 or so torx screws holding the top on, but then they would have to know it was in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles