sankey trailer info required

roger352

Hi Guys

Just got a sankey from flea-bay for conversion to an expedition trailer. What im looking for is info on the hook on the trailer. Can anyone tell me the thickness of the towing ring. I have a ball and pin hitch but someone told me that it may not fit the hitch. Its a narrow track sankey if that would make any difference to the thickness.
Thanks for any help.

skids

Observer
Hi, some of the ball and pin will fit, but you will get a lot of movement/banging that's why you should get a NATO hitch. I will pop out and measure mine when the rain stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirocco

Explorer
check whether your drawbar is fixed or rotating. IIRC the narrow tracks had rotating drawbars but it may have been changed.

When you buy your NATO hitch make sure it will be compatible. Ie. Either the drawbar or hitch will rotate. The trailer needs the hitch/drawbar to rotate at all times also, do not tow with it fixed, it may turn your tow vehicle over.

Sankey's are substantial pieces of kit and not light even unloaded.

Keep us up to date with your trailer mods, always good to see what others are doing. Check out our website for ideas if you need any.

G

roger352

Great site Sirocco

I will not be starting the trailer until later in the year maybe even after Christmas but i will be posting a thread on the build.

Thanks for the info.

skids

Observer
Noy my picture but hope it helps
sankey.jpg

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
You will definately want a nato type hitch. Dixon Bate make the classic UK MOD pintle if you want to buy new, or the European type V.Orlandi UN 76 range is also specifically designed for the 76mm nato ring found on sankey trailers. Ebay will bring up a load of cheap Dixon Bate nato couplings.

You can use a standard pin hitch if you are just moving the trailer around your yard, but it'll bang around too much for general use.

The ring rotated on the narrow sanky I used to have

Last edited:

ATEurope

Observer
FWIW. The set-up should allow either the NATO hitch to rotate or the trailer ring, not both at the same time. That info comes direct from Bradley, manufacturers (and owners) of Dixon Bate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles