Worth it??

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Hi guys... I'm mostly a Jeep guy at heart but when I was passing a local junkyard here in Germany I stumbled across these. I believe the Uni is a radio van? No idea what shape it is in or if it even runs but I'm curious about what you all think it is worth? Should I make an offer to the JY? And is it worth trying to bring it home to the states on my expense? The military will only pay to ship one of my vehicles and I am sure not leaving my Scrambler over here! But I have no idea what shipping something like this would cost? The other little car-kubelwagon looking thing was impossible to get a good pic of, sorry. The yard was closed and I had to take the pics through the fence. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 4

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The Unimog is a 404 Radio truck. Gasoline, no power steering etc.

I can't guess the condition of that one, but they can be had state side for 6-15k in good running ready to go shape. Probably not worth the shipping to bring it over.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input Trev. I honestly don't know what I would do with it if I did have it home in the states since I already seem to have more projects than common sense. I wonder if the axles would be worth taking to use on one of my trail only jeeps... Or if the radio box could be fitted to the back of my Cummins dodge instead of the pickup bed... Dang! To many ideas. lol!

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The axles would need a pinion conversion, and spring mounts welded on, and there really heavy, you can probably get them cheaper than you could ship them from Scott @ Expedition imports, as he brings them in bulk. Also they are Drum brakes, and require a special puller to service, you can home-brew one, but the manual calls for a special puller, and sitting that long, you'd probably have to do all the seals, if there's any water contamination, the bearings as well, the one's Scott brings in are AFAIK good used or factory rebuilt, and he stands behind his product.

The Radio box's are really heavy, and only decently insulated for camping. You'd be better off with a slide in or alaskan pop-up IMO, but, they do take abuse in the tree's! Solid built but again, really heavy. Also, everything inside is 24v, so a bit of a PITA to adapt to domestic use without fully gutting it. The heaters are gasoline fired swing-fire heaters, so you'd have to carry 2 fuels, you'd be better off with an Esbar diesel heater for your camping box, and only have to deal with one fuel, again, just IMHO.

-Trev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles