Lexus LX470 Rear Cabin Conversion...

r3run33

Adventurer
Mr Jensen very curious about your build (I also have an lx470) with the sink my not just let it drain over the tire? Please also post Moore info ion the final bed setup! Also any shower type set up for hot water?

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Mr Jensen very curious about your build (I also have an lx470) with the sink my not just let it drain over the tire? Please also post Moore info ion the final bed setup! Also any shower type set up for hot water?

Bald eagles shed tears when waste water is allowed to flow to the ground...Also, it was Mike's preference...

The bed set-up will be elaborated on later...

I think a Zodi Shower could easily be added to the water system...On this one it wasn't on the list...

BTW: I am available for custom work...My schedule opened up...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Lexus LX470 Conversion - Part 3

P1130059.JPG

(above) The installation...First, the driver's side wall cabinet slips in...The wires are loomed for easy hook-ups...

P1130061.JPG

(above) Next, the curb side cabinet is loosely placed...

P1130062.JPG

(above) Then the center box slips between the sides...

P1130063.JPG

(above) Close enough to do the connections...

P1130065.JPG

(above) Curb side... There are three tee-nuts that connect the side to the center box...they are highlighted with the pen marks...

P1130066.JPG

(above) Behind the curb side seat, two screws attach the side case to the center box...Again, pen marks the locations...

P1130067.JPG

(above) Shore power wires go from the inverter through a hole in the cabinets then come out at the side cabinet to hook into the power plug...Wiring is labeled...

P1130068.JPG

(above) The black and red set of wires that go through to the curb side wheel-well are for the fridge...They plug into a 12VDC accessory outlet in the cabinet cavity...The lone black wire connects to the battery ground later...The remote for the inverter is a simple plug in...

P1130069.JPG

(above) On the driver side, these are the wires to connect...

P1130070.JPG

(above) The orange wire with the plug end goes from a 115VDC receptacle to a plug in / junction box...This way the connections are easily done without having to hard wire...The large red wire will connect to the battery...

P1130071.JPG

(above) wires from the circuit breakers for the 12VDC system get connected here...

P1130072.JPG

(above) Then it all gets attached to the cabinet wall...Elapsed time for the install so far is about a half hour...

P1130073.JPG

(above) Next to hook up is the sink...

P1130074.JPG

(above) The sink drops into the cabinet top, then the drain hose gets securely fixed with a pipe strap mounted to a block of plywood, then...

P1130075.JPG

(above) ...screwed through the cabinet wall into a tee-nut...Without the secure mounting, the tailpiece of the sink would move enough with the connection of the hose to the waste water tank, to eventually break...

P1130076.JPG

(above) The hose from the water pump / accumulator tank gets connected next...The foam pipe insulation cushions the water tanks and keeps the tanks from rattling around once they are strapped in...

P1130078.JPG

(above) Simple hose clamp on the faucet inlet is all that's needed...

P1130079.JPG

(above) Next to connect is the battery...Red wires go to the positive, black wires go to ground...The heavy black wires looped are winch connection cables...

At this point the flat bed section is slid over the top of the center box and screwed into the lower cabinet with four screw...

P1130081.JPG

(above) Two tee-nut screws connect the wall cabinet to the center box up here...

P1130082.JPG

(above) ...and a pair of screws connect the cabinets back in the drawer side cabinet...

P1130083.JPG

(above) The drinking water tank up-take tube...

P1130084.JPG

(above) To hook-up the drinking water tank to the inlet for the water pump, is done with a simple twist on garden hose connector...

P1130085.JPG

(above) The drain hose simply drops in the tank...

P1130086.JPG

(above) A strap keeps them in place...

Four screws through the plywood cabinet bottom attach the casework assembly to the floor of the vehicle...The only screws into the vehicle...

More later...

uzj100

Adventurer
Very well done. I have one question. Have you considered top hinge third row windows that would swing up and allow access to your kitchen? I have seen these for the 60 series and thought someone was building them for the 100 series. Imagine standing beside the truck and reaching in to use your sink and kitchen, that would be very cool.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Lexus LX470 Conversion - Part 4

P1170258.JPG

(above) Mike wanted a durable finished deck...I found an interlocking composite floor tile that met that need and fit the aesthetic of the Lexus...On the rest of the surfaces that got covered I used carpet...

P1170207.JPG

(above) The lower rear panel is birch and got a couple coats of tung oil...

P1170208.JPG

(above) All the carpet was applied with pressure sensitive adhesive ...
The pulls for the doors and drawers is black nylon cord...

P1170209.JPG

(above) The access door is narrow, yet functional...

P1170213.JPG

(above) Aluminum L-metal covered the carpet seams at the corners...Each piece of aluminum trim is a single piece, with a pair of 45 degree cuts into just one side of the corner, then folded over and screwed in place...Doing it like that removes the sharp corner edge...safer...

P1170215.JPG

(above) Load 'er up...

P1170260.JPG

(above) The bed section half way folded over...

P1170205.JPG

(above) The stainless steel, carpet and composite flooring really work well in here...Seems like a factory option...

The bed section is fully folded out here...

P1170206.JPG

(above) The access hatch is there...See the hinge...barely...???...The flooring panel lifts out and the hidden door lifts up...all while maintaining a flush, flat floor...

P1170220.JPG

(above) Looking into the curb side wheel well storage bay...The 12VDC outlet is for the fridge...

P1170227.JPG

(above) Looking through the rear driver side access door into the wheel well storage bay...

P1170229.JPG

(above) The battery / inverter...More storage can go in there...

P1170241.JPG

(above) Looking under the sink...The subwoofer fires right at the sink...Maybe it could turn out to be a sub-sonic cleaner...???...

P1170242.JPG

(above) Detail of the soldered-on sink tailpiece...I used epoxy to join the elbow to the drop...

P1170245.JPG

(above) Inverter under the fridge zone...The open area to the left gives the rear AC enough air...

P1170247.JPG

(above) I covered the exposed metal on the wheel wells with carpet...The power panel was placed here for easy on/off control while inside the vehicle...

That's it... Fini...

5Runner

Adventurer
This looks great, and gives me further ideas for my RV build that is still underway.

Using the stainless steel pans for a sink is great, and I am totally taking that idea. I want to put a sink in my tailgate, but the "sinks" on the market are all too deep. Thanks!

I like the grey water collection idea. I've thought about that and the idea that it would double as water to put out the campfire at the end of each night...rather than the good water.

Question:

What is all the power stuff about? What's the big "control" thing in the last photo. I still can't think of any reason to add an inverter to my set up. What would you use that's 110 volt?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
P1170258.JPG

(above) Mike wanted a durable finished deck...I found an interlocking composite floor tile that met that need and fit the aesthetic of the Lexus...On the rest of the surfaces that got covered I used carpet...

P1170213.JPG

(above) Aluminum L-metal covered the carpet seams at the corners...Each piece of aluminum trim is a single piece, with a pair of 45 degree cuts into just one side of the corner, then folded over and screwed in place...Doing it like that removes the sharp corner edge...safer...

That floor tile/aluminum extrusion combo looks identical to our Sprinter. You even used the same cool screws:
i-CQn9JFn-M.jpg

Great minds think alike. :D

I love how you folded the corners. Very nice touch.
We've been happy with the durability of this setup. It also makes cleanup quick and easy after a trip.

r3run33

Adventurer
Hello great work I do understand about the draining of the water put I have to defend most of us that are either surfers or campers are not real polluters;
simple dish water and some food was what I thought would be used here. Would love to have you do some work for me but I am currently hitting the piggy bank to save for the front lockers! Anything done for cooking in this vehicle?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Anything done for cooking in this vehicle?
A propane-fueled Cook Partner stove lifts out of rear drawer and sits on dropped tailgate to cook. The liftgate provides overhead shelter while cooking. (FWIW, I believe that the different camping uses you can make of the tailgate surface is a benefit that outweighs the slightly increased hassle of the two-piece rear setup in everyday use.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles